• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Slagging France

ExSarge

Inactive
Reaction score
This resurfaces (pun intended) in different versions every few years but is still amusing.

A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U.S. ,English, Canadian, Australian and French Navies.. Ata cocktail reception, he found himself standing with a large group of Officers that included personnel from most of those countries.

Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks but a French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas Europeans learn many languages, Americans learn only English. He then asked, 'Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than speaking French?'

Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied 'Maybe it's because the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German.'

The Canadian flag in the photo was placed by the local French people, not the Government of Canada or any other agency, for the five Canadians interred in their churchyard. Our Maple Leaf flies alongside, and at the same height, as their own Tricolore. The tall white wooden crosses are French war dead from the 1914-18 war.
http://servir-et-defendre.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2421&p=15864

ExSarge said:
This resurfaces (pun intended) in different versions every few years but is still amusing.

A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U.S. ,English, Canadian, Australian and French Navies.. Ata cocktail reception, he found himself standing with a large group of Officers that included personnel from most of those countries.

Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks but a French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas Europeans learn many languages, Americans learn only English. He then asked, 'Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than speaking French?'

Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied 'Maybe it's because the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German.'

That comment gets directed at the UK from time to time as well  ;D I know I personally heard from many Americans while I was back there.

ruckmarch said:
That comment gets directed at the UK from time to time as well  ;D I know I personally heard from many Americans while I was back there.

After France surrendered, Britain stood alone. Hitler had plans to bomb America.
It is well described in "Luftwaffe over America: The Secret Plans to Bomb the United States in World War II" by Manfred Griehl.

ruckmarch said:

My standard reply to that one is "and if it wasn't for us, you'd be speaking French, so I guess we're even"

Back