• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Single Quarters & Rations (R&Q) [MERGED]

WRT Messing, PAYG or the Full Monty.

Two choices, those want want full rats pay this with their room/board fees, and those that feel they won't be present for 3-square-a-day, use the PAYG, say perhaps dinner a few nights a week, with other meals prepared in their common areas or outside the wire.

I find nothing wrong with this, and the blokes that are the 'living-innies' don't complain about being ripped off if that had to pay the full amount. Everyone seems to be content.

'Might go for tea tonight mate' 4 bucks for all you can eat. Cheap feed.

Cheers,

Wes

TCBF said:
- Amazing how many NATO countries somehow ended up rolling into a Canadian camp in the Balkans just before mealtime. 

...and also noteable how many of them left with their pockets stuffed full of food.  Many members from other countries were also mind-boggled by the concept of a mess hall being open 24 hours a day. 

mind you, there is a difference between rations on operations VS rations on garrison.

Hmmm.... while I'm at it, thought I heard / read about canadian field kitchens in the FOBs VS the kitchens run by others in Kandahar.
Surf & turn in the FOBs VS sawdust (jk) at KAF

I found the DFAC is theatre were not too bad, I actully had a addiction th the fale mash, but with real butter. I ate any many during my time in Iraq. when on patrols we used MREs, of which I rated them poorly shy of the heat bag thing.

Anyways, the DFACs had two lines, short order, and proper meals. I had my share of cheeseburgers and KFC facimile chicken strips, freedom fries etc, hell, even hot dogs!!! All this at first but later settled for the hams, turkey, and veggies with mash of course, and washed down with orange Gatorade. One could live with DFAC. Bread, great desserts, and Baskin Robbins ice cream. We ate there not ever day because we had our own cooks, and now our food, well one NEVER went back for seconds - EVER.

The DFACs were all contracted with TPNs employed. KBR as usual had the world by the balls.

Regards,

Wes

This topic is 4 years old but I figured I would bring it back up rather than starting a new one.

I'm basically asking the same question but I'm looking for a less-expired answer.

I'm an Ocdt and should be posted in a few years, requesting RCR (I heard you can be pretty sure of the Regiment you get, just not the battalion). I plan on living in the shacks for as long as I can stand it to save money for a down-payment on a house and other luxeries.

Was wondering the costs of barracks and meal plans and the like. I've read that $150/mth is the more expensive rate for the shacks, which seems cheaper than I was expecting. Can't find much on meal plans at the mess hall except for what was posted in here.

Basically I'm trying to figure out realistic expectations for my financial future in the next 3-8 years.

Last I heard rations where close to $400 a month (this was for Gagetown)

ballz said:
This topic is 4 years old but I figured I would bring it back up rather than starting a new one.

I'm basically asking the same question but I'm looking for a less-expired answer.

I'm an Ocdt and should be posted in a few years, requesting RCR (I heard you can be pretty sure of the Regiment you get, just not the battalion). I plan on living in the shacks for as long as I can stand it to save money for a down-payment on a house and other luxeries.

Was wondering the costs of barracks and meal plans and the like. I've read that $150/mth is the more expensive rate for the shacks, which seems cheaper than I was expecting. Can't find much on meal plans at the mess hall except for what was posted in here.

Basically I'm trying to figure out realistic expectations for my financial future in the next 3-8 years.
Really? I want clarification on that, as well. That sounds surprisingly inexpensive.

Going $500/mo to cover rations and quarters is very cheap.

NFLD Sapper said:

And the definition of "rations" would be the same idea as the meal card I was given for my stay at Trenton (for aircrew selection) where I got 3 buffet-style meals a day? If it's not that far off from that I don't need specifics, like I said I'm just trying to get a guestimate.

Nauticus: sounds like a steal for trying to save money eh?

NFLD Sapper said:

$562.00 here shortly - they are all being re-linked.

If one is in single's quarters here ... one will pay rations as well.

ballz said:

Sorry I can't make hyperlinks from work.

Deductions For Quarters are located here:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dcba/engraph/sq_table_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=7

QR & O 28.20 lists more details in 'Table To Article 28.20' [page 7 of the document linked below (from Internet site)].  Deductions are based on 2 factors: (1) the 'rating' of the room you are occupying and (2) your rank.

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qro-orf/vol-01/doc/chapter-chapitre-028.pdf

Deductions for Rations are here: (the link to D Food Svcs "Ration Charge Rates" isn't working for me on the link below)

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dcba/engraph/rations_table_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=7

There has been some discussion IIRC as to if linking of rations and SQs is mandatory, and yes it is.  I read it in a regulation before and am looking for it now.  However in some cases/bases, it is not enforced (Warrior Block is one example where you are given the option to link or not, or atleast you were when I was living there which was up until the end of Feb 09).

I'll look for the regulation on linking of R & Q and post it when I find it.

Another point to note, if you are living-in, you are NOT entitled to PLD if you are in a PLDA or TPLDA.

OK, the ref for linking of R & Q (that I found) is CFAO 36-14, Para 5 which states:

RATION STRENGTH
5.  Unless authorized by NDHQ/DCBA (Director Compensation and Benefits Administration), all occupants of single quarters shall be taken on ration strength except:

a.  chaplains who due to the nature of their pastoral duties elect not to be taken on ration strength;

b.  members of a ship's company who are granted permission to live out but are allocated a cabin or bunk for operational reasons; and

c.  living-in members of a ship's company who elect not to be taken on ration strength.

Link to CFAO:  (IntraNet/DIN only)

http://admfincs.mil.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/036-14_e.asp

I cross-referenced 'DAOD 5024 - DND Living Accomodations' and CFAO 36-14 is not listed as one of the CFAOs superseded by the DAOD. 

Link to 'DAOD 5024 - DND Living Accomodations' is: (Internet site)

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/5000/5024-0-eng.asp

AmmoTech90 said:
Shacks themselves are co-ed, the individual mods would be unisex.

Last time I stayed in Mod shacks in Borden, even the Mods were co-ed.  Guess it depends on the course.

Just as a Trenton reference, you are forced-linked here, as cfao 36-14 will tell you, and for ncm's, the quarters are 89$ a month until you hit pte3, then they go up to 170$ a month for the males, and 215$ a month for the females.  The rations are $483 a month here.  So as a Pte3, you're looking at $653 for a guy, and $698 for a female. 

Just for anyone following, I never did get de-linked, even with a Dr's note, so I ended up finding someone coming off of IR who was getting a pmq, and we split it.  For reference on that one, rent, utilities, including internet, cable, phone, gas, water, and electricity, it comes to about $900 a month.  Add to that, the money I spend on two of us, about $400 a month, and it costs $650 a month for each of us.  So I save around 40 bucks a month living in a pmq, and I have much more space than my 10x12 cube in the shacks.  Nevermind that I get to cook my own food, which is awesome!

Sparkplugs said:
Just as a Trenton reference, you are forced-linked here, as cfao 36-14 will tell you, and for ncm's, the quarters are 89$ a month until you hit pte3, then they go up to 170$ a month for the males, and 215$ a month for the females.

Please tell me there is a difference in the rooms?  For example, males share and females get their own?

PMedMoe said:
Please tell me there is a difference in the rooms?  For example, males share and females get their own?

The males are in a different building... well, some of them.  Those who live in the female building (there is a technically-male-only floor, although there are females living on it) pay more, because the room is 2 feet bigger that the ones in the male shacks.

Although, the males get free high speed internet, and the females don't...  I would have given up the 2 feet of space to save 40 bucks a month on internet!

But yeah, they're all single rooms with a sink, just one is 2 feet bigger.

And that's justification for charging females an extra $45.00 per month??  I'd be moving out on the double!

PMedMoe said:
And that's justification for charging females an extra $45.00 per month??  I'd be moving out on the double!

I've been in a pmq since October.  =)  I love it!!

Shacks in Borden are always an issue, and not a particularly good one.
It would be nice if the shacks were given back to the schools to control. A147 used to be CFSEME Art Coy, and the shacks just across the street belonged to CFSATE.
I think Borden was one of those bases that felt the worst of all the cut backs that actually remained open, but now it is feeling the effects of the mid 90's and is in the hurt locker. Almost anyone who has been there recently on course would agree with this.
They say those course critiques actually work.......doubtful. They haven't rebuilt the South Side Canex yet....

Back