• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Single or Married? Financially speaking

Happiness aside, and ON AVERAGE, what's better financially?

• Single

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Married

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • I am useless with my finances no matter what

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I'm a Snr Officer and my spouse is another Snr Officer/Doctor/Lawyer/Engineer/Millionaire

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
cupper said:
I started for half that as a civil in '94.

Had to move to the US to make "the big bucks".

But is your standard of living better than your contemporaries in Canada?  Does having a higher number on your pay check cheque actually mean a better life?  When I look at my counterparts in the US, they may have a higher salary and pay less in taxes, but once all the other expenses of their lives are factored in (e.g. health insurance), they don't seem to have any more disposable income or any better standard of living than I do.

It's not the amount of money you earn, but what you do with it.  I learned that the hard way.

CDN Aviator said:
Don't ever get married.........ever.

Ever.

Some say a successful marriage is a triumph of habit over hate.  :)

Apologies to all the Engineers out there...I thought you guys made "good money".  ;D

People always say that money can't buy you happiness, and yet many people I see that are upset, stressed etc are that way due to financial problems.  A good part of the others are that way because of their failing relationships.  ;D

"Money can't buy you happiness, but I'd rather cry in my Ferrari"

Pusser said:
But is your standard of living better than your contemporaries in Canada?  Does having a higher number on your pay check cheque actually mean a better life?  When I look at my counterparts in the US, they may have a higher salary and pay less in taxes, but once all the other expenses of their lives are factored in (e.g. health insurance), they don't seem to have any more disposable income or any better standard of living than I do.

Relatively speaking, cost of living is just slightly higher around Washington DC (and other large US cities) than what I experienced back in Canada. However, as you correctly noted, higher salary and less taxes soon falls apart when the other costs are factored in. When I first moved down here, the difference between what I paid in taxes in Canada and what I paid in the US was essentially what I ended up paying for heath insurance. (Which really pisses some people off when I use that as an argument for a single payer system, because they have no real response against it)

But based on my current salary, the only way I would earn the same money back in Canada is working in senior management for government. Even private sector would be rare to have the same salary level (at least last time I checked the salary surveys from APENS).

Back