• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Single or Married? Financially speaking

Happiness aside, and ON AVERAGE, what's better financially?

• Single

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Married

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • I am useless with my finances no matter what

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I'm a Snr Officer and my spouse is another Snr Officer/Doctor/Lawyer/Engineer/Millionaire

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters

blacktriangle

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I realize every situation is different, but I am just curious on this topic. Who, while serving in the CF, does better financially? At least on average? Obviously everyone has different priorities in life, but if my main goal is financial stability (comfortable but not rich), is it better to just stay single? 

I see financial benefits to being married such as the economy of scale that comes from splitting a mortgage, major purchases and so on, but that's not always the case if your spouse doesn't have a job or if they have a low paying one.

At the same time, I see a lot of guys going through messy divorces (losing money, pension time) or living pay cheque to pay cheque since they are the sole worker in the family. Not really interested in that. Are pre-nups useful?

Anyone willing to throw their 2 cents my way? Anyone have any good/bad experiences they care to share from a financial standpoint?

Thanks! 

So when did marriage become a financial decision?

I always thought it was about love. At least that's what my wife tells me. >:D

And since when did engineers get thrown into the same financial pile as doctors/lawyers/millionaires?  ;)

Methinks that if you use the same approach to a marriage that you do for a business plan, you're going to be single for a long time - or married several times!  :nod:

cupper said:

Getting married is not a financial decision.  Staying married may be!  8)

Remember, the secret to the success of many second marriages is the certain knowledge that you cannot afford a third one.....

jparkin said:
And since when did engineers get thrown into the same financial pile as doctors/lawyers/millionaires?  ;)

Not too many engineers I know own yachts, drive the latest model year Benz, or have a membership at the local country club.

Hell I only bought my first brand new car 3 years ago. :nod:

Can't wait until retirement, looking like it will be about two or three days before I keel over. ;D

If the only consideration is financial, hookers are cheaper than divorce lawyers over the long term.

They also generally have superior ethics.

PMedMoe said:
Not to mention, your poll missed a lot.......  ::)

Feel free to share...that's why I started this thread. I don't pretend to know much about marriage.

As for Engineers not making good money...maybe not as much as a doctor or lawyer, but my ex was offered 75k a year right out of university as a Chem Eng to work in the Oil and Gas industry. Not a bad living for a 21 year old...

cupper said:
You're kidding, right?

cupper said:
I always thought it was about love. At least that's what my wife tells me. >:D
That's a recent phenomenon.

Anyway, it's up to you, but if you cannot universalise your actions, then Immanuel Kant would say "you're wrong".  So, imagine a society in which everyone were single, pursuing money.  That society would die out in a generation.  Another society, in which all they do is marry, have kids, go to work. Rinse and repeat, that society keeps on going.

In the end, I would offer you're asking a different question: what is worth more, money or happiness?  Even though I'm going through a divorce right now, my recommendation is still "get married".  Just make sure she's the right one.  (How you do that is up to you).  In the end, you'll have kids, and even though some think of kids as nothing more than wasted money, in the end, what you get from your kids is more valuable than all the money in the world.

My  :2c:

Spectrum said:
Feel free to share...that's why I started this thread. I don't pretend to know much about marriage.

As for Engineers not making good money...maybe not as much as a doctor or lawyer, but my ex was offered 75k a year right out of university as a Chem Eng to work in the Oil and Gas industry. Not a bad living for a 21 year old...

That would be the answer right there. The rest of us in mechanical/civil/electrical/environmental/integrated etc. can't look forward to such a nice starting salary  :'(. Chemical and mining engineers definitely know where the money is.

Spectrum said:

I started for half that as a civil in '94.

Had to move to the US to make "the big bucks".

Back