• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Should the toast to the Queen be omitted from Mess Dinner's

If we decide to ditch the toast then we have to IMO get rid of all the crowns off of our cap badges and remove any title of royal...

So in my opinion, Keep toasting her majesty.

Hylander_ca said:
Just want to see where our loyalties are.....I personally think that we shouldn't.

:mg:
Are you saying we shouldn't toast or that the toast shouldn't be omitted?

Are you implying that  those with a differing opinion to you should be shot?

Are you implying that freedom of action is punishable by death via a smiley?

I don't believe in god! But I take my hat off because it doesn't hurt my feelings to show respect for others and their archaic beliefs in a book of folklore.

I still share the magic of Christmas with my children even when the bills come in.

The Queen, monarch of Canada or just a face on my money?

Even though she is a real person (like Jesus or Tom Cruise) I don't think that she is all that she is cracked up to be. (like Jesus or Tom Cruise) nor has very much impact on my life (like Jesus or Tom Cruise) although I am sure she means much more to others (like Jesus or Tom Cruise) and my opinion doesn't matter much as long as I am happy. Nor should I manipulate people to believe in what I believe in.(unlike Tom Cruise)

To Sum Up

IMHO

Toasting the Monarchy is a tradition that is well established at mess dinners and has become more or less a part of the ACT we put on in order to have a good time at mess dinners. 

Either way pass the wine lets toast.

CE621 said:
Way she goes,time for Canada to grow up and stand up on her own,we earned it.While erosion of military traditions is appalling to me,I believe this to be evolution and helps give Canada the full respect she deserves.
To say that keeping a foreign monarch will somehow make us more Canadian and less American is convoluted thinking......like fucking for virginity.The crown is part of our history and that`s where it belongs.

Interesting take for an "old tech."

The Crown is indeed part of our history, a proud history. And each time we toast The Crown we are saluting our rich hertitage and traditions, and they are inescapable. Erasing the monarch from the face of Canada will do nothing to change that. The Crown is, and always will be, a part of our Canadian military heritage; no matter how one wishs to slice it.

Next time you're up near Watts Ave, stop in and check us out; please be advised that we have a large picture of the Queen here though. I don't see her leaving any time soon.

I believe in toasting the Crown, for it connects the present with the past. I am a firm believer that you can't know where you're going unless you know where you've been. How silly would it be if PPCLI became CLI and RCR became CR. The Queen as our 'head of state' is a figurehead and not a sovereign, keep the Queen and our traditions.

Scott:  You beat me to it but I'll add mine any way.

[size=10pt]NO!!

The average Canadian has little or no use for the Monarchy. Swearing an oath to the queen and her heirs is a debasing of what a personal oath is. (i.e. a personal oath is a commitment of loyalty that gives one no choice but to serve the interests of the individual the oath was made to. Since the Queen nol onger rules or pays wages she is now only a symbol and metaphor of the "law;" she is no longer really a candidate for a personal oath.)

All that being said Canada has a Queen at its head and there is no appetite in Canada to change this immutable fact. So until the fine people of Canada make a change I will stand and toast the Queen and swear an oath of personal allegiance, because that is the price of being a Canadian soldier and citizen.

Even if Canada were to decline the next King as head of State it would still be prudent to maintain the tradition of the monarchy sans personal oaths in the military. Traditions cannot be purchased and to throw them away is dangerous.

I'll duck now as there is sure to be some incoming fire.

Cardstonkid said:
The average Canadian has little or no use for the Monarchy. Swearing an oath to the queen and her heirs is a debasing of what a personal oath is. (i.e. a personal oath is a commitment of loyalty that gives one no choice but to serve the interests of the individual the oath was made to. Since the Queen nol onger rules or pays wages she is now only a symbol and metaphor of the "law;" she is no longer really a candidate for a personal oath.)

In your opinion, obviously there are many of us who disagree with you.

"For Queen and Country."  ;)

Although HM happens to live out of the country, she is in title and in fact the Queen of Canada. As a Sovereign person things like nationality don't apply.

An oath to the Queen also stresses the apolitical nature of the Armed Forces. We are not swearing oaths or pledging allegiance to a political figure but to an enduring embodiment of the State who stands outside of the political realm. In the United States the military swears their oath to the Constitution for many of the same reasons.

a_majoor said:
Although HM happens to live out of the country, she is in title and in fact the Queen of Canada. As a Sovereign person things like nationality don't apply.

An oath to the Queen also stresses the apolitical nature of the Armed Forces. We are not swearing oaths or pledging allegiance to a political figure but to an enduring embodiment of the State who stands outside of the political realm. In the United States the military swears their oath to the Constitution for many of the same reasons.

This is a valid point and should not be dismissed lightly. The quibble I have is that the symbol of the Monarchy is devolved on par with the Beaver, and the maple leaf. They are national symbols that give us a rally point and tradition but the question is do we not debase the value of a toast or an oath if it is to a real person that only has value as a symbol? Wouldn't it be better to swear an oath to uphold the Canadian Constitution rather than to proclaim our allegiance to the Queen and her heirs? It would make more sense and it would sharpen the value and intent of the oath. We could still keep the monarchy and most of the traditions associated with it.

Cardstonkid said:
This is a valid point and should not be dismissed lightly. The quibble I have is that the symbol of the Monarchy is devolved on par with the Beaver, and the maple leaf. They are national symbols that give us a rally point and tradition but the question is do we not debase the value of a toast or an oath if it is to a real person that only has value as a symbol? Wouldn't it be better to swear an oath to uphold the Canadian Constitution rather than to proclaim our allegiance to the Queen and her heirs? It would make more sense and it would sharpen the value and intent of the oath. We could still keep the monarchy and most of the traditions associated with it.

I'm not so sure our friends in Quebec would be happy with that, given that they've never ratified the Charter. 

Cardstonkid said:
The average Canadian has little or no use for the Monarchy.
This is purely because the Average Canadian is disgustingly ignorant about this Nation's history and the Crown's place within it.

I refuse to be reduced to their level.

Loachman said:
This is purely because the Average Canadian is disgustingly ignorant about this Nation's history and the Crown's place within it.I refuse to be reduced to their level.

My bold addition. I think that says it all loachman!

Kat Stevens said:
You're bang on, bossi.  The bleeding hearts and artistes are firmly in the drivers seat.... SHARP and Son of SHARP were just the beginning.  The army is now a giant petrie dish for social engineering experiments.

The SHARP program was a good idea, and was required as part of implementation of new laws, but its presentation was dreadful.  A bunch of HR types who have no understanding of military culture and psychology.  They didnt even understand the people they were presenting to and got all bent out of shape when we pointed out obvious gaps in their logic.

Back to the Queen.  Want to toast her at dinner?  No problem.  Want to prize our English heritage?  Great.  But I swore my loyalty to my country, not the representative of a somebody else's country.  The age of colonialism is over. 

GreyMatter said:
Back to the Queen.  Want to toast her at dinner?  No problem.  Want to prize our English heritage?  Great.  But I swore my loyalty to my country, not the representative of a somebody else's country.  The age of colonialism is over.   

I f you think the curent manner in which we swear our oath, or toast the Crown for that matter, has anything to do with the belief that colonialism still exists in Canada you need to do some more research.

We have been an independant sovereign nation for quite some time now.

GreyMatter said:

The representative of someone else's country is their ambassador. HRH is the Queen of Canada, and a Sovereign Person who has no nationality (or more correctly is the embodiment of several nations, of which we have the pleasure of sharing). More people need to brush up on history and constitutional law, otherwise they will end up lookinng silly at mess functions and other places..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_in_Canada

The Canadian Monarchy is a shared monarchy. This article describes the Monarchy from the perspective of Canada. In the other Commonwealth Realms, the constitutional role of the Monarchy is similar, but the historical and cultural significance may differ. For information on the Monarchy in the other Realms, see Other Realms: Monarchy.

Canada is a constitutional monarchy and a Commonwealth Realm, with Queen Elizabeth II as its reigning monarch since February 6, 1952. As such she is Canada's Sovereign and head of state and officially called Queen of Canada.

More than you cared to know at link.  :)

I still think this whole monarchy thing is getting a bit obsolete.

Yes, we have been independent for some time now, but not truly independent until 1982.  It is not that colonialism still exists in Canada, it is that some elements of our colonial days still exist in Canada.  Although we are no longer a 'colony', there are still some positions in Canada that serve no purpose but to demonstrate a link back to the founding nation i.e. all the Governor positions.  Traditional and honorable?  Yes.  But what purpose do they serve other than as a showpiece?  

GreyMatter said:
Yes, we have been independent for some time now, but not truly independent until 1982.  

I disagree. We've been a sovereign nation long before that, at the earliest 1867 with the passage of the British North America Act, or at the latest 1931 with the Statute of Westminster. Given Canada's unique Anglo-Franco history, and the continuing Constitutional question of Quebec within Canada, the use of a Constitution as a measure of independence doesn't present the whole picture.

If one were examining the question from the sole perspective of political expediency, doing away with all ties to the monarchy (ie. the GG) would force Canada to reevaluate it's position vis-a-vis Quebec. Last time that process ended ina Referendum, a slim one at that.

Back