• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ship's Boarding Party [Merged]

Speaking as a guy who looks at the boarding party from the outside.

1.  If anyone deserves some extra pay onboard its these fellas

2. Those boarding party members that strut around the ship, like they are kingsh*t, and you know who you are..... Remember to take off your shades while below decks, you look like a complete tool box if you don't.

Boarding party isn't for everyone, personally I think going over in a rubber boat to an unknown ship for a search to be silly, but I am sure it breaks up the boredom of the gulf.  But then again, I am willing to dive in a submarine, and with a COTP, I am hoping to fly in a sea king!

The badge is way out to lunch, I hate complaining when I can't think of something better, but whatever, at least these oakley wearing cocky "junior" fellas have something else to wear on their jacket!!  Not that you are hard to pick out without the badge on anyway........

This badge is really wrong.  Should have at least stuck with the normal gold embroidery.  This badge would look sharp if it replaced the crown with an anchor and make it black and gold.  

I miss being on board for the NBP training it's allot of fun and it gets you away.  When your at sea its nice to see a few new faces on some scuzzy boat now and then, it makes you feel better living in your scuzzy boat.  To all you young'ns who want to be on the team its not for everyone.  You know when you have a bad team right off.  You also know when you have a good team with there crap together.  We had one A1 that thought crowd control and jetty security meant beating every "simulated" (PAT's) civi down zap-strap hogtieing them and leaving them on the jetty.  When we where in the gulf we had an A1 leave two guys on some freighter they were not impressed.  They called him the count after that  ;D "One naval boarding party member AH AH AHH"...Your first experiences on a team will decide weather you will like it or not.  I was luckey and had a good crew in general on the ship so working with them like this for the most part was good.

And Gravy your bang on for a good chunk of them saddly

:cdn:

I think you guys are all way too picky...but again I'm all for providing solutions instead of problems. I've been posting detesting the CADPAT for sailors and I'm not so sure about this badge either....how about just some good old traditional sailor garb for the NBP...as below

CTD said:
I always thought a Cutlas was curved.

http://www.antiquesofthesea.com/swords_guns.html  (third item from bottom of page)

BRITISH NAVY BOARDING CUTLASS 1850

The British Royal Navy used this style cutlass with the iron bowl guard starting in 1845 and continuing through WW I. The blade has a nice dark patina. Length is 33.5".

Images - http://www.antiquesofthesea.com/1342_sword.html

Just a thought:

Do you think there's a chance this badge will become more "formal" ie wearing it with DEUs and casting a metal version for 3Bs? Or is this as far as it's going to go.

eliminator said:
Do you think there's a chance this badge will become more "formal" ie wearing it with DEUs and casting a metal version for 3Bs?
Oh God, I hope not.

The only way that will happen is if they introduce a new MOSID for NBP members - making this job their primary duty.

Zoomie said:
The only way that will happen is if they introduce a new MOSID for NBP members - making this job their primary duty.

Not necessarily -- ship's diver badges are worn this way.

Neill McKay said:
Not necessarily -- ship's diver badges are worn this way.

As are a myriad of other specialty badges, like EOD, Para, even Spec Ops Assaulter.

Folks while the badge might not be the greatest making disparging comment about those that do decide to join the teams is not helping matters, give them some credit and let them see this as a perk, we have so few things to enjoy these days.... ::)

Many have asked about the training.  Here is an article that was published this weekend in the Esquimalt News that will give some more details.

http://www.esquimaltnews.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=10&cat=23&id=734163&more=

Intense training gives naval boarding parties international respect

Members of Canada's naval boarding parties don't mess around.

In a large building at Work Point, a former army base in Esquimalt now used by the navy, a group of 20 sailors undergo self-defence training required for naval boarding parties. Under the watchful eye of Master Cpl. Mike Janssen, the sailors learn how to use elbow strikes - a skill that might become necessary when boarding a foreign vessel where terrorists and related contraband might be hiding.

"As you're hitting, you come down and through," Janssen says as he motions an elbow strike to his students.

A military police officer who doubles as a national use-of-force instructor, Janssen instructs his students how to use their whole body when inflicting an elbow strike in a manner similar to a Thai boxer.

Dressed in blue uniforms, ball caps and combat boots, the sailors are split into two groups. One group holds large, thick pads up against their chests to protect themselves from the elbow strikes.

"Stop - get back," the other group yells as they aggressively move toward sailors posing as opponents.

In a similar scenario, the sailors conduct the same exercise using batons instead of elbows.

"It's awesome, it's very physical. Every day is interesting," Able Seaman Grant MacDonald says after he puts his baton away.

Petty Officer 1st Class Scott Morley, senior naval boarding instructor, oversees the training. A 23-year veteran of the navy, Morley has taught naval boarding parties for the past three years.

"It's very exciting. It has multiple dimensions to it," he says.

Aside from learning about how to apply a use of force with batons, elbows and other strikes, sailors learn how to use MP-5 submachine-guns, 9 mm pistols, 8-70 shotguns and pepper spray in close quarter battle situations. They're taught maritime law, how to handcuff someone, rules of engagement, legal issues around detaining suspects and interview techniques.

"It's law enforcement-based training," Morley says.

The sailors are also taught how to climb and repel shipboard containers.

Two containers, one on top of the other, are situated in the building at Work Point so sailors can learn how to conduct a search as has happened in the past on United Nations missions in the Persian Gulf.

"Our job with the United Nations is to search the containers," Morley says.

The boarding party instructors receive training from a variety of agencies including military police, Canada Customs, military lawyers and the companies that manufacture the weapons used by the boarding parties.

To ensure realistic weapons training, sailors use bullets made out of soap manufactured by a company known as Simunition. Sailors actually shoot the soap bullets at each other in mock situations.

"It's high-tech law enforcement paint ball," Morley says. "It takes law enforcement and the military to a whole new level."

While the soap bullets aren't lethal - they're not painless.

"It hurts like hell," he says.

While Morley is a boatswain by trade, naval boarding parties consist of sailors from various trades as specializations such as communications operators and engineers are needed for certain tasks.

Each destroyer and frigate in the Canadian navy has a naval boarding party of 18 crew members and two officers. Team members work in their primary trade until the ship enters a theatre of operation, Morley says. Then the team members focus on training as boarding parties or actually boarding ships.

"Typically they board up to several vessels a day," he says.

Canada's naval boarding parties have boarded more than 10,000 vessels since the navy began participating in international coalition missions in the Persian Gulf and Adriatic Sea in the early 1990s. Boarding parties are also kept busy searching vessels suspected of transporting illegal refugees off Canada's coastlines.

Naval boarding parties occasionally have to take an aggressive approach to boarding a vessel. When one "uncooperative" vessel with boarded windows and doorways sailed toward Iranian waters on one occasion, Canadian sailors were forced to use sledge hammers to get inside of the ship.

"We had to enter the vessel through drastic means," Morley adds.

But members of the navy's boarding parties have never had to fire any shots at anyone while boarding a ship, he says. Although there have been cases of broken legs, sprained ankles, heat exhaustion and contaminated clothing, no Canadian navy boarding party member has yet been seriously injured.

The boarding parties' activities aren't restricted to entering a vessel at gunpoint and searching for terrorists or related contraband. The groups also aid in search and rescue efforts as well as providing humanitarian aid.

The high level of training and the inclusion of humanitarian-related practices has garnered the Canadian navy's boarding parties an excellent reputation around the globe, he says.

"It turns out that some of the countries prefer the Canadian style of boarding," Morley says. "We've made a name for ourselves."

SL2006_0051_12_060922.jpg

Above: A Naval boarding party from HMCS Athabascan practises during an
exercise earlier this year. Inspection of marine traffic in the Persian Gulf is the
prime duty of Canadian navy vessels assigned to assist ongoing conflicts in the Middle East.

Interesting article.  Pity the editor and the reporter don't know the difference between "repel" and "rappel" - to repel is defeat or push back an attacker, where as rappel is a method of getting down a rope from a height; I'd hate to have to repel a sea container!!

MM 

It says each ship's Naval Boarding Party has a crew of 18 crew members and 2 officers. Does anyone how officers are selected. Are MARS officers what they are looking for? I was wondering cause in the MOC description it mentions nothing about.

Bobert said:
It says each ship's Naval Boarding Party has a crew of 18 crew members and 2 officers. Does anyone how officers are selected. Are MARS officers what they are looking for? I was wondering cause in the MOC description it mentions nothing about.

Just as the NCM members are selected from a variety of trades onboard, so are the officers.  It is going to be dependent also on whether you can be spared from your primary duties onboard.

As for the MOC description not mentioning it, it typically doesn't mention NBP for any trade, as it is a secondary duty and not guaranteed to anyone, or for any specific period of time.

There are many threads on the Navy board here on Boarding Party that will also give you some more background.

Sure sounds like an interesting occupation, if I get in I may just try for that

Boater said:
Sure sounds like an interesting occupation, if I get in I may just try for that

First off, optimism is a good thing.  Try for "when" vice "if".  Secondly, as I stated above, NBP is a secondary duty.  Your "occupation" is your trade.  NBP is a qualification that is added onto your primary job.  And lastly, you can request to try for NBP, but depending on your position, you may not be allowed the training.  This includes too, that if you are not yet trained in your trade, as that will take priority before learning something new.

Well in that case when I get in I will see if my chosen occupation allows for the NBP

Back