• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Shift Work and Reserve Training.

bishop

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've searched and searched but came up short. I've been digging for various topics all night and this one in particular has slipped past me. My apologies if this has been covered.

I was wondering if anyone here completed the army reserve training (BMQ, SQ etc) even though they are shift workers. Could you share your experience? (ie balancing work, life, etc)

Thank you,

B.

P.S. If anyone here works the Compressed Work Week schedule (same as Toronto Police), your experience would be greatly appreciated!

bishop said:
P.S. If anyone here works the Compressed Work Week schedule (same as Toronto Police), your experience would be greatly appreciated!

I joined the Toronto Service Battalion just after my 16th birthday.  Militia training was no problem because it was after school, weekends and summer.
I joined Toronto EMS when I was 18. The shift work obviously conflicted with my militia time. I didn't have the seniority to bid time off for summer training. But, the main thing was that overtime was almost unlimited. Actually, it really was unlimited.  Ambulance call volume has skyrocketed compared to the population. Especially since 911 was introduced in 1982, and later, cell phones.
Back then, Metro Toronto had no corporate policy for reservists, except in case of war. And even then, I think the ambulance department was exempt. I couldn't get time off to serve in Germany. More recently, the City of Toronto does have a policy that allows for training and deployments. We are very proud of our reservists.
Paramedics work 20 X ( 12 hour ) shifts every six weeks.  LOTS of "end of shift" forced overtime. So, even if your shift is supposed to end at 1900, you could still be hours away before booking off. You are in an almost constant state of jet lag. You work holidays too. No problem. We knew that when we joined.
Firemen now do 24 hour tours. They used to do 10 hour days, and 14 hour nights.
I think the police still work 10 hour shifts.
That's just Toronto, I don't know about out of town.

Mariomike,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the Toronto Police work 10 hour shifts, and it appears to be a good schedule for a reservist, depending on which night their unit parades etc.

As for the policy that allows training and deployments for Toronto City Workers, I'll have to look into this. Is the LOA for training guaranteed, or is it up to the discretion of the supervisor?

bishop said:
Mariomike,
As for the policy that allows training and deployments for Toronto City Workers, I'll have to look into this. Is the LOA for training guaranteed, or is it up to the discretion of the supervisor?

This is City of Toronto corporate policy for all departments. It's from 1999. As far as I know, this is the most recent. It's a major improvement since the 1970's.
I should like to add that Toronto EMS places a VERY high regard on military service, Regular or Reserve. 
"Employees can take a leave of absence with pay, for the two week period of absence, to attend the Canadian Armed Forces Reserve Training Program.
The maximum period of absence is two weeks in a calendar year.
Employees applying for leave must provide their executive director/general manager/division head or designate with a letter of support from their commanding officer.
Salary & Benefits 
Employees are paid their regular pay provided they submit any compensation received for military service to the city treasurer, unless this compensation is paid for days they are not scheduled to work.
Compensation received for travelling expenses and meal allowance does not have to be returned to the city.
All benefits continue during the leave.
An employee's service is not affected by the leave. An employee's vacation entitlement, and pension credit do not change."
........................END QUOTE............................

Please note:
"unless this compensation is paid for days they are not scheduled to work."
ie: The 12 hour shift was established for TEMS in Feb 1976. Therefore, because of the compressed work week, a Paramedic Reservist would be entitled to keep a significant portion of the Reserve compensation, when compared to workers on 8 or 10 hour shifts. ( ie: 4 or 5 day work weeks ).
Reservist can also take Leave of Absence for military service. Seniority will accumulate during such leave. I know some of our Reservists are away quite a bit with the military.

Ah, so you can receive up to 2 weeks of paid leave, but I'm assuming any time after that will be unpaid.

Thanks for the info, mariomike. I'll talk to my supervisors and see if they can provide any specifics for my unit. I'll also head down to the CFRC and chat with a recruiter.

If anyone else has an experience to share, feel free to do so!

B.

Bishop....
During those 1st two weeks you are being paid by both the city and the CF... and thereafter only by the CF.  Not a bad deal IMHO!

Acer Syrup said:
What about missing regular parade nights due to shift work?

Your full-time job comes first.
However, you may be able to arrange a shift change.  I know that our crew schedulers have instructions to try to accomodate shift change requests for Reservists. They just switch you to a different shift to make up your hours.

Back