• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sexual Assault & Sexual Misconduct in the CF

I guess the group must be thinking....what will someone that has the white privilege going for them know about what minorities face on a daily basis  ???

However, there is a distinct difference btw xenophobia and racism

SeaKingTacco said:
Where I live? Pretty much all of the time....

beachdown said:
....not many people actually like to believe that there are racist cops out there (here in Canada). The argument is always..this is a US centric behaviour and that cops in Canada are well trained and intelligent.
I'd attempt to respond but: a)  I'm not really sure what you're trying to say;  b)  I tend to default dismiss any point that includes "always" or "100%" or "but everyone thinks...."; and  c)  your somewhat muddled response also seems rather "broad-brush."

Not a fan of any of the above.

beachdown said:
Why then when there is a blatant racist attack/behaviour on a minority group, don't majority of White people speak out in support of the minority group that is being wronged? Don't you think if we adopt the attitude of ' we won't tolerate this behaviour', that we might start to see changes?

People jump on the case of Black lives matter folks, but I honestly think if the majority i.e. Whites join in with the cause, then society as a whole might just change its attitude towards all groups e.g. LGBT and other minorities

A lot of people support the principles of all lives, including black lives, being of equal value, but the Black Lives Matter movement is no longer about that, if it ever was. It is a racist, anti-white, anti-police movement that actively calls for murdering police and causes riots that destroy black-owned property.

It will start a riot over any police-involved shooting, regardless of the circumstances, based upon lies, and before any investigation has begun, but completely ignores the horrendous black-on-black violence.

It was spawned by the Michael Brown shooting in Ferguson, Missouri, when Michael Brown's criminal accomplice claimed that he was shot while unarmed and with his hands up. This was contrary to several other witnesses and mounds of forensic evidence. It became the accepted truth almost immediately, and was spread by numerous fake news agencies, also known as the mainstream media.

Since then, in what has become known as the Ferguson Effect, police stay clear of sections of major cities because they are not able to achieve anything of value therein and only put their own lives at risk. The consequence of that is the dramatically increased level of violence that now occurs in those areas. More black lives are being lost because of that, but they apparently do NOT matter because they were not killed by police.

A small number of blacks is making life hell for a much larger number of blacks and blaming it all on whitey. The larger number does not deserve that.

beachdown said:
I guess the group must be thinking....what will someone that has the white privilege going for them know about what minorities face on a daily basis  ???
Yup. The same group that finds white privilege in expensive (white) toilet paper and skin coloured band aids.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
That's not anti-social: That's a pretty run of the mill Canadiens vs Bruins hockey game meet around here.  [:D

This was at work. I believe it had to do with station conditions. The size of the kitchen, the feeling of confinement; the age and condition of the stations. They can demoralize in the same way that tenement apartments do. Being constantly startled by alarm bells, instead of gently ramping up the tones and lighting like they do now. 
Feelings of isolation and frustration and being abandoned by city politicians.

There has been a lot of study on station design in recent years. Modern stations have award winning designs.

As well as the internal dynamics that vary from station to station. Just like in family homes.

Interestingly, physical fights between "brothers" were never reported. If anyone did complain, they might transfer him to Scarborough.

But, now a simple joke or comment made in poor taste to the wrong co-worker can get a guy into a lot more trouble than that.  :)

Loachman said:
A small number of blacks is making life hell for a much larger number of blacks and blaming it all on whitey.

Attachments

• whitey.jpg
    whitey.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 124
An interesting article on the subject of sexual harassment on the US Parks Service:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/12/park-service-harassment/510680/

Bruce Monkhouse said:
The other thing is perception..............according to some people I probably "sexually assaulted" about 25 women while waiting for my Daughter at a Hamilton mall tonight. ::)

Pfff, is that all? :salute:

Lets not kid ourselves...this sort of behaviour happens here in Canada too. It's despicable that any human should be subjected to such an act...from the article

Olivia’s assailant sat on top of her for about 20 minutes. When he finally stood up, she moved to the couch. He followed, trying to kiss her and pull her on top of him. She was sure he would rape her, but eventually, after more struggle, he left. The moment the door banged shut, Olivia fell to the floor, sobbing. She walked to the bathroom and stared in the mirror, brushed her teeth harder than she ever had, as if to erase something. The next morning, Olivia took a long drive through the park’s sand dunes and salt flats with a friend, who convinced her to tell park administrators what happened. She went to the park’s chief ranger and described the incident in detail. He jotted down notes and told her that she had a choice: She could either press charges, or let the park handle it internally.

Unaware that there was a formal complaint process, Olivia said that the park could handle it, and left. Two days later, her supervisor, her alleged assailant’s supervisor and the park’s chief of interpretation—another high-level employee—asked her to recount the incident for the third time. Afterwards, the chief of interpretation told her they had talked to her alleged assailant. It was all just a “misunderstanding,” he said, and he would not move forward with her case.

The park did agree to transfer the man to another dorm, but it took nearly a week for supervisors to act, and on the day he was supposed to leave, she found him in the dorm kitchen, eating cereal. She thought she would collapse. When he finally did move, it was to the dorm across the parking lot.

Days later, according to documents obtained through a Freedom of Information request, Olivia’s supervisor emailed the chief of interpretation to tell him another intern had concerns about the same young man. He responded: “Thanks for ... trying to keep the rumors from really taking off. I’m glad to hear [Olivia] is getting back into a better frame of mind, but I hope [she] is not creating an uncomfortable environment for [him] if it is not warranted. Something to watch out for.”

daftandbarmy said:
An interesting article on the subject of sexual harassment on the US Parks Service:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/12/park-service-harassment/510680/

Toronto cops assault fellow cop

dynamic_resize

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/2016/12/16/22690805.html

beachdown said:
Lets not kid ourselves...this sort of behaviour happens here in Canada too.
          :stars:

You do  know that the "C" in the thread's title (Sexual Assault & Sexual Misconduct in the CF) means "Canadian," right?

Yes...however, I was responding to the immediate post. Thanks for pointing that out though  :salute:

Journeyman said:
          :stars:

You do  know that the "C" in the thread's title (Sexual Assault & Sexual Misconduct in the CF) means "Canadian," right?

I'm going to say it:

THANK YOU to the thousands of men that I have worked with throughout my service in the RCN, the RCAF, SOF, Joint and the Cdn Army for treating me with nothing but dignity and respect.  And to my fellow women too.

Heads high gentlemen as I realize that I do not work each day with a bunch of sexual predators.  As with every segment of society, thoy would be the very rare (and never for me) exception and not the rule.

I'm not into tarring and feathering and entire ***insert whatever group here*** based on the actions of some assholes. Every ***insert group here*** has it's select group of assholes.

ArmyVern said:
I'm going to say it:

THANK YOU to the thousands of men that I have worked with throughout my service in the RCN, the RCAF, SOF, Joint and the Cdn Army for treating me with nothing but dignity and respect.  And to my fellow women too.

Heads high gentlemen as I realize that I do not work each day with a bunch of sexual predators.  As with every segment of society, thoy would be the very rare (and never for me) exception and not the rule.

I'm not into tarring and feathering and entire ***insert whatever group here*** based on the actions of some assholes. Every ***insert group here*** has it's select group of assholes.

:goodpost:

beachdown said:
Lets not kid ourselves...this sort of behaviour happens here in Canada too. It's despicable that any human should be subjected to such an act...from the article
I would have figured the need to point out this happens in Canada too was moot considering the nature of this thread and the numerous posts and examples there in.

I can't help but feel like you have a certain agenda to push.  Your contributions definitely seem to have a specific flavor.

:salute:

ArmyVern said:
I'm going to say it:

Thank you Vern.

But be careful ... talk like that will not endear you to the Snowflakes:  [:D

http://savethesnowflakes.org/

daftandbarmy said:
Thank you Vern.

But be careful ... talk like that will not endear you to the Snowflakes:  [:D

http://savethesnowflakes.org/

I wouldn't consider a victim of sexual assault to be a snowflake.  I do personally know  a male and female victim of serious sexual assaults during my 28 year career.

To be clear: I believe that a single sexual assault within the CAF of a team-mate upon a team-mate is one too many.  We are meant to protect the downtrodden and the weak.  How can we protect them if we can't protect our own?

We do it by dealing with those asshole swiftly, justly and permanently.

Amen, Vern.

In the 90s, I watched in horror  as a CO got away with sexually assaulting a male from another unit. The CoC refused to take the allegations seriously. I watched another CoC I was more intimately involved with bungle a straight forward sexual assault summary trial (back in the days when COs could still sit those) to the point where despite a guilty verdict, the message was clear that the CoC really did not mean it.

We have come a million miles since then, despite what the critics say. I can think of no unit that I have served with in the past 10 years where anything like that would have occurred, much less tolerated if it did.

beachdown said:
Toronto cops assault fellow cop

Not that it makes the allegations any less serious, but it was a civilian member.

OK, but like you said, a sexual assault is an assault regardless of if the victim works for the private or public sector.

mariomike said:
Not that it makes the allegations any less serious, but it was a civilian member.

ArmyVern said:
I believe that a single sexual assault within the CAF of a team-mate upon a team-mate is one too many.  We are meant to protect the downtrodden and the weak.  How can we protect them if we can't protect our own?

:goodpost:

beachdown said:
OK, but like you said, a sexual assault is an assault regardless of if the victim works for the private or public sector.

I agree. But, I also believe members of our Emergency Services, and CAF, whether on or off duty, should be held to high standards. 

Back