• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Seeking Information For Incoming Medical Officers

hello, I am wondering what life on base and on deployment is like on a day to day basis for medical officers in the CF. I know that the day generally starts with sick parade in the morning. but after that it is much like working at a private practice, am I correct? how much "military" type things does one do as an army medical officer on base? what about on deployment? does this vary depending on a field ambulance/hospital? can anyone give me a run through the average day on deployment for a medical officer? thank you

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in, among other trades, possibly becoming a Pharmacy Officer. Do any of you guys know if PharmOs count as Medical Officers on the pay scale, and therefore receive the Medical Officer differential, or do they count as General Service Officers. Please don't think I'd select Pharmacy only for the possibility of extra pay, as nice as it would be; it's really more of an understanding all my options sort of thing.

Also, just so I have a full understanding of what I might be getting into, does anyone have any general information in terms of the day-to-day role of a PharmO. E.G. posting on base (field ambulance, med det, etc) or operational deployment opportunities. I understand the Pharmacy is a pretty small niche in the CF, so I understand if you guys aren't able to help. However, any tidbit of information would be appreciated.

:salute:
Regards,
SMCS157.

Pharmacists are general service officers.  Only MDs are paid as medical officers.

SMCS157,

I'm an MO, not a PharmO.  But I work with PharmO's from time to time.  If working in a Clinic Coy, PharmO's are pretty much like civilian pharmacists - dispensing medications (doing appropriate checks for indication, dose, allergies, interactions, checking into formulary vs. special auth status), giving patient counseling information, and occasionally (and usually justifiably) giving MO's / NP's / PA's a friendly slap on the wrist if the Rx is somehow inappropriate / incorrect.

In a Med Coy / Field Ex / Op ... above duties may be only 25 - 50 % of what they actually do.  Another big chunk is set aside for inventory / FMed ... much like managing a warehouse of drugs and medical supplies, negotiating transport of same (with concerns for refrigeration, legality / security (e.g. controlled substances), general stock maintenance (expiry, re-orders), etc.  Think wandering around with a clipboard and a pencil behind your ear...

And like most officers, PharmO's are fair game for random "secondary duties" that might range from SportsO to TrainingO to whatever PseudoO designation the CO wants to fabricate.

The above is an MO's point of view of what PharmO's do.  I apologize for any inaccuracies, but I believe the gist is correct.

Interestingly, MO's are generally "spared" most of the secondary duties (at least until they end up on somebody's fecal matter list).  I think this is because there is usually no shortage of clinical duties to attend to, and there is a sense that they should be doing patient care as much as possible to "justify" their wages ... which are sometimes viewed as exorbitant by GSO's, despite that fact that most MO's knowingly enter the CF out of interest / call to serve and accept a significant pay CUT relative to what they would be paid civvy-side.

That's all I've got.  Maybe a PharmO is lurking nearby that could provide a more authoritative / informative answer.

Good luck, either way.

Resolute has provided an excellent summary of Pharm O from the perspective of a Medical Officer. As he noted, there are essentially clinic duties and field duties. Clinic duties are similar to those of a civilian pharmacist, while field duties primarily concern medical supply/stock. The same dichotomy exists on deployed ops. Typically, the Captain pharmacist will run the clinic or hospital pharmacy. A Major Pharm O on a larger op will often be responsible for the Forward Medical Equipment Depot (FMED), ensuring adequate medical stores, med reapply, cold chain management, etc.

Do you already have a pharmacy degree?

Back