• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]

Danjanou said:
Just wait until you retire. You'll get all the pins and badges you want on your "uniform."

walmart+pins.jpg

IMG_5096.jpg

Whoa... there's hardly any room for dandruff on there!

daftandbarmy said:
Whoa... there's hardly any room for dandruff on there!

Hey I've seen a recent pic of you ole buddy. Dandruff is something neither of us have to worry about ever again. :'(

Danjanou said:
Hey I've seen a recent pic of you ole buddy. Dandruff is something neither of us have to worry about ever again. :'(

Thank gawd. The money I've saved in hair products....

winnipegoo7 said:
That's certainly notable!

I just want to add that many of these sailors who don't sail still receive sea pay, as they are posted to sea going units even though they are unfit sea.

No different than Army guys posted to field units receiving LDA and never going on exercise....

MPMick said:
No different than Army guys posted to field units receiving LDA and never going on exercise....

Exactly.  So, contrary to a post and argument I made some time ago,  I think we should be linking LDA and SDA to actual days in the field or underway at sea.  As well, as I stated earlier this topic the SSI should be a reflection of your level of SDA. 

(I'm allowed to change my mind  ;D)

Halifax Tar said:
Exactly.  So, contrary to a post and argument I made some time ago,  I think we should be linking LDA and SDA to actual days in the field or underway at sea. 
Agreed.  This would ensure the financial incentives actually encourage the behaviour we want.

Halifax Tar said:
... the SSI should be a reflection of your level of SDA. 
How about a "nights I had to spend away from home (excluding nights in quarters or Canadian hotels)" badge?  Then all three services would have another way of wearing the MPRR.

MCG said:
How about a "nights I had to spend away from home (excluding nights in quarters or Canadian hotels)" badge?  Then all three services would have another way of wearing the MPRR.

I see both sides of this to be honest MCG.  You are right its my job as a sailor to go to sea and my SDA is the incentive for that hardship, were I posted to a sea going billet. 

I also believe there should be some sort of recognition for the time away sea going sailors spend at sea on non-deployment "missions".  And tying this directly to SDA I think is a fair way to implement it. 

Besides I have spent so much time puking in the crews after heads I think I deserve a medal for sticking it out lol  :cdnsalute:

*That last line was joke, I don't actually think I deserve a medal*

Jacky Tar said:
It's the same sort of mentality that led to introducing the SSI. Seriously, I need a little anchor on my tunic to tell me I've been to sea? I'm pretty sure my memories of runs ashore does that, and doesn't cost the taxpayers a thing. :)

Don't worry, the Army will probably apply to have a little tent insignia to show how often we go to the field. After all, we need badges to show that we do our jobs, right?

Jacky Tar said:
It's the same sort of mentality that led to introducing the SSI. Seriously, I need a little anchor on my tunic to tell me I've been to sea? I'm pretty sure my memories of runs ashore does that, and doesn't cost the taxpayers a thing.
:goodpost:

I hate that GD anchor almost as much as the 1812 pin... both are a colossal waste of money, time and resources.  So far I've avoided wearing the 1812 pin, wish I could do the same with the other one too.

Jacky Tar said:
It's the same sort of mentality that led to introducing the SSI. Seriously, I need a little anchor on my tunic to tell me I've been to sea? I'm pretty sure my memories of runs ashore does that, and doesn't cost the taxpayers a thing. :)

Anyone with memories of runs ashore never made runs ashore, at least according to most sailors I know.  >:D

dapaterson said:
Anyone with memories of runs ashore never made runs ashore, at least according to most sailors I know.  >:D

After reading that, it just dawned on me that I really couldn't find my way around Halifax, St. John's, or San Diego during the day. 

At night though.... ;)

I still have no idea where "Dick's Last Resort" is in San Diego, yet have managed to find my way there, without fail, on every port visit...

SeaKingTacco said:
I still have no idea where "Dick's Last Resort" is in San Diego, yet have managed to find my way there, without fail, on every port visit...
Most likely because you have few POs or WOs corrupting you..... ;D

When I was in Esquimalt a couple years ago (only 3 days-didn't have anything to drink at all), I decided to go for a walk one evening into Esquimalt proper. Funny how all those years ago, stinking drunk, leaving the dkyd area I could always find the Tutor House ... but not this one time. It is but an 8 minute walk max from the C+POs Mess but half an hour later I was still slogging around. I did finally find it but it made me chuckle.
Back on topic though, I find the SSI does actually serve a purpose. When you see someone senior with anything other than silver or gold though not in any way do I question their expertise nor seniority, I do wonder where they have been hiding in those 25-30 years and what 'corporate knowledge' they carry to tell of their life's experiences at sea. A friend calls these people 'white house' sailors as in "I have passed more lighthouses going astern then you have white houses in your life".

Pat

Pat in Halifax said:
Back on topic though, I find the SSI does actually serve a purpose. When you see someone senior with anything other than silver or gold though not in any way do I question their expertise nor seniority, I do wonder where they have been hiding in those 25-30 years and what 'corporate knowledge' they carry to tell of their life's experiences at sea. A friend calls these people 'white house' sailors as in "I have passed more lighthouses going astern then you have white houses in your life".

That's a horrible reason to have a SSI.... You should be able to tell without a stupid badge whether the person has sea/land/air experience within a few minutes.

PuckChaser said:
That's a horrible reason to have a SSI.... You should be able to tell without a stupid badge whether the person has sea/land/air experience within a few minutes.

Not that I agree with this reasoning for the SSI but there are many many sailors with little or no sea time.  Other than actually engaging in conversation <gasp> you will not be able to tell.

Just as there is soldiers with no field time and airmen/women with no flight hours. Welcome to unification.

Pat in Halifax said:
When you see someone senior with anything other than silver or gold though not in any way do I question their expertise nor seniority, I do wonder where they have been hiding in those 25-30 years and what 'corporate knowledge' they carry to tell of their life's experiences at sea. A friend calls these people 'white house' sailors as in "I have passed more lighthouses going astern then you have white houses in your life".

Pat

Speaking solely for myself, I spent my time hiding in the field. In that 30 years, I managed 10 tours. Those sailors concerned that I don't have anything on the right side of my tunic should be more than consoled by looking at the left side. Remember that for "purple" sailors the opportunity to be posted to sea is seldom within their own power.

ModlrMike said:
Speaking solely for myself, I spent my time hiding in the field. In that 30 years, I managed 10 tours. Those sailors concerned that I don't have anything on the right side of my tunic should be more than consoled by looking at the left side. Remember that for "purple" sailors the opportunity to be posted to sea is seldom within their own power.

Pat in Halifax was Referring too experiences at sea not necessarily operational deployments or field time.  I would suspect HMCS Chippewa is your first naval unit ?  I would also suspect/expect you don't walk about blunder busing about all your sea time then. 

Like myself I not walk about CFJSR talking about all my Army time and field this and field that.

Back