• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Russia in the 21st Century [Superthread]

If it's anything like over here, they would have to resurrect truck frames with journal boxes. I have a friend who has babbitt moulds for old engines and creating the right alloy mix is quite an art. I would bet not many current railway workers would have any working experience with them.
Pretty much only the hobbyists at this point. Generally with knowledge passed down second or third hand from the people who actually dealt with that technology on the regular.

Georgia and Moldova I can see but Finland, Japan, and Poland is asking for trouble I think
I suspect you are correct. A NATO or G7 nation hitting Russia is something that might trigger their nuclear response. But one of the colonies? Not so much. I think now is the window for any little neighbours to push back against (reverse) Russian colonialism & irredentism. Likely also the window for any Russian republics with aspirations of independence.

If it's anything like over here, they would have to resurrect truck frames with journal boxes. I have a friend who has babbitt moulds for old engines and creating the right alloy mix is quite an art. I would bet not many current railway workers would have any working experience with them.
When a antique tug came in for a engine rebuild. They had to find a old retired guy to come in and lap the main bearings. Some skillsets fall to the wayside.

Georgia and Moldova I can see but Finland, Japan, and Poland is asking for trouble I think
Japan could as they never recognized the claims, plus they aren’t NATO.

Königsberg/Kaliningrad well that’s another show that could drop. I suspect most the residents would vastly prefer to be in back in Germany, but would probably accept Poland or Lithuania due to how the German border was altered after WW2.

Interesting initiatives to attract "the right kinda people" to USSR 2.0 ....

Japan could as they never recognized the claims, plus they aren’t NATO.

Königsberg/Kaliningrad well that’s another show that could drop. I suspect most the residents would vastly prefer to be in back in Germany, but would probably accept Poland or Lithuania due to how the German border was altered after WW2.
I think that most of the ethnic Germans were driven out or killed decades ago, leaving a proportionately larger Polish and Russian population.

I think that most of the ethnic Germans were driven out or killed decades ago, leaving a proportionately larger Polish and Russian population.
Kaliningrad was one of Stalin's primo spots for Russofication Post-War.

You will find more Ethnic Russians than anything else there in 2024.

Almost as if he predicted there would be a massive backlash against the Postdam Agreement in the future...

Kaliningrad was one of Stalin's primo spots for Russofication Post-War.

You will find more Ethnic Russians than anything else there in 2024.

Almost as if he predicted there would be a massive backlash against the Postdam Agreement in the future...
I think after the war there was massive “forced ethnic moving” of peoples from parts of what used to be Germany and Poland as the USSR decided to redraw the boundaries in that part of the world.

I think after the war there was massive “forced ethnic moving” of peoples from parts of what used to be Germany and Poland as the USSR decided to redraw the boundaries in that part of the world.
The forced relocation of ethnic Germans from Eastern Europe was a sore point for the Americans and British. Even in parts of pre-War Ukraine and Poland there were German minories that had lived there for centuries.

None the less, they agreed to territorial boundaries being shifted, however, Stalin was the one who was adamant about having every German west of the Oder-Nesse. As possession is also nine tenths of the law, Atlee and Truman relented.

The result? Russofication of the Baltic States, Kaliningrad, Ukraine, and the expansion of the Soviet sphere of influence that eventually led to the Cold War.

That decision has now come to rear its head 80 years after the fact with Putin believing the 2 generations of transplanted Russians have been there for millenia and thus need saving and protecting.

Most ethnic Germans the Königsberg area fled the Russian advance. Those that couldn't died or were shipped out.
There were 370.000 people before the war and 125.000 were left after the war and the destruction of the city.
Between October 1947 and October 1948, about 100,000 Germans were forcibly moved to Germany. About 400,000 Soviet civilians arrived by 1948. Some moved voluntarily, but as the number of willing settlers proved insufficient, collective farms were given quotas of how many people they had to send to Kaliningrad. Often they sent the least socially desirable individuals, such as alcoholics or the uneducated.

The figures for the various Warsaw Pact countries were larger overall.
Between 1944 and 1948, millions of people, including ethnic Germans (Volksdeutsche) and German citizens (Reichsdeutsche), were permanently or temporarily moved from Central and Eastern Europe. By 1950, a total of about 12 million Germans had fled or been expelled from east-central Europe into Allied-occupied Germany and Austria. The West German government put the total at 14.6 million

🍻

The forced relocation of ethnic Germans from Eastern Europe was a sore point for the Americans and British. Even in parts of pre-War Ukraine and Poland there were German minories that had lived there for centuries.

None the less, they agreed to territorial boundaries being shifted, however, Stalin was the one who was adamant about having every German west of the Oder-Nesse. As possession is also nine tenths of the law, Atlee and Truman relented.

The result? Russofication of the Baltic States, Kaliningrad, Ukraine, and the expansion of the Soviet sphere of influence that eventually led to the Cold War.

That decision has now come to rear its head 80 years after the fact with Putin believing the 2 generations of transplanted Russians have been there for millenia and thus need saving and protecting.
The Western Leaders knew there was no will left in the people to stand up to the Soviets, after the exhaustion of the previous war years, the UK was totally broke at that point and the previous propaganda about their Soviet Allies, would make switching them from ally to enemy in short order very difficult. Particularly over the fate of Germans who had just recently being putting the boot to most of Europe. Churchill should have told Stalin to piss off in regards to the Free Polish Forces, something we should be ashamed of.

Back