• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rules on wearing individual uniform pieces outside of military events?

• Thread starter Thread starter neufy_arty
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

neufy_arty

I was just wondering what the rules where on wearing, say, my combat boots or my parka (without any epilets or patches on it) outside of military functions. This being for a situation where it makes sense, like its -40 C out and i like my issue parka over my civvie jacket.

As I read the dress regs. the wearing of uniform pieces with civi clothes is limited to gloves boots scarf overcoat with out any rank or unit markings. hope that helps.

neufy_arty said:
I was just wondering what the rules where on wearing, say, my combat boots or my parka (without any epilets or patches on it) outside of military functions. This being for a situation where it makes sense, like its -40 C out and i like my issue parka over my civvie jacket.

If the parka was purchased privately, you are allowed to wear it with civvie clothes without insignia.  If it was issued to you, you cannot wear it outside of official duty.  We had a private in our unit pull out two shotgun shells while standing in the company orderly room and announce (in front of the sergeant major)  ::) that he must have forgotten to take them out after he went hunting.

I admired the Sergeant Major's restraint, really.  The private in question was treated fairly, and without a lot of commotion.  But it gave the CSM the chance to highlight a couple of things (I believe the CQMS chimed in also). 

a) issue kit is provided for the use of a soldier in government service - ripping it on a farmer's barbed wire fence while hunting would be a huge waste of money for the taxpayer

b) ammunition is strictly controlled in the Forces (see the CF Code of Conduct for mention of this).  Soldiers of the CF are prohibited from using anything but issue ammunition.  They also swear on leaving ranges etc. not to be taking ammunition with them, so had he gone to the range with his civvie shotgun ammo on him and kept it there during his declaration... 

The last may be a bit of a stretch, but not much.

So, no, you cannot wear stuff that is issued to you unless you are on duty.  You are allowed to use stuff purchased by you, but cannot have any insignia on it, nor can you represent yourself as being on duty.

Common sense, really.  The issue stuff is nice, but the taxpayers are counting on us not to abuse their trust.  We have soldiers on deployment who sometimes don't have enough "stuff", how unfair is it to trash issue kit out on civvie street and expect the Army to pay for replacements?  That's no better than stealing their rations or ammo as far as I am concerned.

What about wearing uniforms at functions such as weddings, etc?  How does that work?

T

Torlyn said:
What about wearing uniforms at functions such as weddings, etc?   How does that work?

T
My understanding it that you have to request, through the Chain of Command, permission from the CO.

Torlyn said:
What about wearing uniforms at functions such as weddings, etc?  How does that work?

T

You need permission from your Commanding Officer.  I think requests like that generally go through the company sergeant major or RSM - put your request up through the chain of command. 

You aren't allowed to wear uniform to certain events - like political fund raisers for example.  Weddings are probably ok (people may wonder why you want to), unless it is an Aryan Nations wedding or something that would bring discredit to the CF were you to appear in uniform.  But  I believe that is up to your CO to decide.

Michael Dorosh said:
You need permission from your Commanding Officer. I think requests like that generally go through the company sergeant major or RSM - put your request up through the chain of command.

You aren't allowed to wear uniform to certain events - like political fund raisers for example. Weddings are probably ok (people may wonder why you want to), unless it is an Aryan Nations wedding or something that would bring discredit to the CF were you to appear in uniform. But I believe that is up to your CO to decide.

I wore our regimental   blues to my wedding as did my best man with our medals, sash, and kilt.   And sorry to break the news we weren't part of any aryan nation and there was no cross burning either hehehe.   As Micheal explained I did ask permission from the C.O, I just went throught the RSM.

tess

Thanks a lot for the answers, and you also answered the question i had (but hadnt asked) about wearing DEUs at weddings

http://www.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/017-04_e.asp
http://www.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/qr_o/vol1/ch017_e.asp#17.06

At my school, I know of an individual that is not in the CF but his brother is in the reg force.
Apparently his brother got him a CADPAT backpack. Whether it was issued to his brother or his bro got it from QM, I don't know.
Anyway, he wears it at school and its not fake cadpat.

What exactly does this mean? Can he or his bro get in trouble?

He is responsible for his kit.  If the pack was issued, and his brother breaks it or something, he'll have to pay for it. 
If he bought it, he can do what he want with it. 

[quote author=CF Publication A-AD-265-000/AG-001]Canadian Forces Dress Instructions from 2001-06-15
Wear of Civilian Clothes
47. Visible civilian items of apparel shall not be worn my members with any uniform, except where specifically authorized in these instructions. Conversely, items of uniform shall not be worn with civilian attire, except for accessories and garments (e.g., top-coat, raincoat, gloves, scarf and footwear) which do not include any CF insignia and by themselves do not explicitly identify the wearer as a member of the CF.[/quote]
I hope this clears some things up, straight out of CF Dress Regs.

Topcoat is the gabardine.   Topcoats differ from overcoats in that they were originally intended for mildly cool weather whereas overcoats were for winter.   Nowadays, most (civilians) wear those awful baggy trenchcoat-type raincoats in lieu of a proper topcoat.

And I've noticed that our gabardine is woven tightly enough to somewhat repell water!   Nice considering the raincoat is so ugly.

Does anyone else think it's crazy when those Americans appear on The Price is Right or whatever wearing their service dress?   I mean, we all love Bob Barker, but...!   Perhaps it's a statement saying that the US military agrees with the animal-neutering movement because it will keep American uniforms hair-free.

On wearing proper, entire uniforms--from A-AD-265-000/AG-001 (dress instructions):

36. Regular Force. Unless otherwise directed,
all ranks:
a. on duty shall wear the prescribed uniform;
and
b. when not on duty may wear civilian clothes.

Thank God, I'd hate to think I pay $1000 for mess dress and then can't wear it to some white tie civvy ball or whatever.

Thank God, I'd hate to think I pay $1000 for mess dress and then can't wear it to some white tie civvy ball or whatever.
If you bought a mess kit it's yours remember you bought it.wear it to a football game if you want.

my72jeep said:
If you bought a mess kit it's yours remember you bought it.wear it to a football game if you want.

IIRC you still should ask the CO's permission.  Even though mess dress isn't an uniform (because you bought it), it still is a military order of dress (No 2s, I think).  It could still reflect badly on the CF, if you wore it inappropriately.

Eowyn said:

IIRC you still should ask the CO's permission. Even though mess dress isn't an uniform (because you bought it), it still is a military order of dress (No 2s, I think). It could still reflect badly on the CF, if you wore it inappropriately.

True with Getting the CO's Permission, but if someone was going to go through the trouble of throwing mess dress on, after spending over a grand (Much like ours ugh), just to wear it to an unappropriate function, I highly doubt they would bother to inform their CO.

My question would be what is deemed inappropriate, I have wondered that in the past when it was proper to wear mess dress.  Is it considered simmiar to a tux in that it is considered black tie attire?

Just wondering.  Because I agree if you spend that much, you kinda want tomake more use of it.

tess

It's a military tux any event that fits that type of dress. but i would not wear it to the Liberal re-election fund raiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back