• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP Dilemma...help!

dave...

Inactive
Reaction score
So I will be releasing from the Forces very soon, I am currently posted in Kingston as an ROTP student but I need to move to Montreal and the only way of transferring universities in different cities is to  release then re-apply (or so I've been told).

I have my IAP, BOTP and I have passed the Aircrew simulator test, aircrew medical and my trade is Pilot (32U).

I did IAP summer of 06 and BOTP summer of 07, I haven't started PFT though.

I'm starting school in september at Concordia University in Montreal, and I want to re-apply as soon as I am released. What are the chances that I will get back in, and if I do get back in, will my training still be current, will my simulator test stay current as well?

any help would be awesome!

thanks

Why do you want to go to Concordia vs Queen's (that's where I assume you are)

You know, you're in a very good position for your career right now.  There is absolutely no guarantee you'll get back in as a pilot after you release, although your ACS will, I believe, still be valid.

I completely agree, believe me, this is the last thing I want, I've looked forward to this my whole life but I have to move no matter what, I can't change that. I have heard that the need for pilots right now is very high. What I was wondering is whether I would get selected over another candidate because I have my basic training done and my simulator passed and the fact that I was already in the Forces.

Don't base your decision on what you've been told.  The pilot MOC is still extremely competitive and there is a lot of OJTs waiting for PFT and BFT.  I believe the pilot recruiting has slown down, but I'm not sure. Someone in recruiting might be able to answer that better than I can.

I just hope your personnal reason isn't a girl.  There is only 1 dream career for each of us.  It seems being a pilot in the military is yours.  There are plenty of girls out there...

dave... said:
So I will be releasing from the Forces very soon, I am currently posted in Kingston as an ROTP student but I need to move to Montreal and the only way of transferring universities in different cities is to  release then re-apply (or so I've been told).

Just curious - told by whom?

the people in Borden in charge of ROTP, I'm not naming names on this site though

Chances of getting back in ROTP - good but not guaranteed.  Chances of getting back in as a pilot - maybe.  Training will still be good.  Processing should be minimal but since you will be applying through Montreal it may not be fast.  Good Luck.

I wasn't looking for names ;)

I was just wondering why something like a University Transfer couldn't be approved under compassionate or something.

you can ask for a transfer under a compassionate, but my reasons for transferring are different from a compassionate

There is another choice Kin. He could just hold the ground he is on and deal with whatever this other situation he won't clarify is from there.  Harder no doubt but dealing with the problem is likely simpler than working his way back into the system.  A system which by the sounds of it has already invested time and money only to have him jump ship.  Someone said once "there are two solutions to every problem. The easy one and the right one." (sic)

RedBurton said:
There is another choice Kin. He could just hold the ground he is on and deal with whatever this other situation he won't clarify is from there.  Harder no doubt but dealing with the problem is likely simpler than working his way back into the system.  A system which by the sounds of it has already invested time and money only to have him jump ship.  Someone said once "there are two solutions to every problem. The easy one and the right one." (sic)

Completely agree.  Why throw away an excellent opportunity for an education and a career taking a chance that you will be able to resume that opportunity at a later time but then again we are not him.  Also, the system can only do so much and it can't always satisfy the wishes of every person.  Cheers.

you can ask for a transfer under a compassionate, but my reasons for transferring are different from a compassionate

I hope they are very good reasons because as far as I am concerned your are throwing the dice here and gambling is never a good idea.

Also note, just because you want out doesn't mean they have to let you out, especially if your reasons do not qualify under any kind of compassionate status...... you did sign a contract and they have invested more than 2 years of very expensive training into you. It doesn't happen too much anymore, but it does happen (there were two former ROTP's sitting in the barracks on top of the hill when I left in May...)

It's a 3 hour drive, buses, trains, people going to Montreal every weekend from Kingston. I have to agree with Red and Kin, if you want to stay in, your best option may be to stay put. Not knowing any particulars at all, that's about all the advice anyone here can give really.

I know what Kingston can be like and know the stresses that 3 years there caused in my relationships all the way around .... just be careful what you chose and examine your options very well. Good luck.

Wook

dave... said:
haha, of course not

I'm actually leaving my girl.

Hope that your reason for wanting to transfer isn't to get you away from that girl either ... that's still because of a girl.

Simply, sit her on the curb, head to Philthy's and pick up a hottie bum; leave Philthy's ensuring that you & hottie-bum walk by the curb-sitter. Faite accompli. CF status is "good to go".  >:D

Back