• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP...Already hold a BASc?

pink

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first post, I'm seriously considering joining the military but I'm not sure what would be the best way or what would increase my chances. I currently hold a Bachelor of Applied Sciences that I paid for on my own. I am 23. I would like to join the ROTP and take a nursing degree. I'm wondering if anybody has (or knows somebody) who already has a degree or education and has joined the military in the ROTP to take another degree? In addition,
should I apply for the nursing program first, and then the ROTP, or does the order even matter?
Thanks for reading!!

I had a BSc from one university, applied for Nursing school at another, was accepted and then applied for the ROTP program as an NO. Everything worked out just fine.
I don't believe you will be accepted as a nursing candidate in the ROTP program unless you are already accepted at a recognized university so I suggest you go that route....
This from the recruiting website:
"To qualify for ROTP, you must be enrolled or eligible for enrolment at an accredited Canadian University in a Bachelor of Nursing program. The obligatory service is two years for each year of sponsorship to a maximum of five years pay back."
RT

Thank you for the reply. I am just a bit confused as most university programs send out offers no earlier than February so I doubt I would receive an offer of admission before the deadline for ROTP is due.  Here is what the info page says:

'In order to increase the likelihood of your application being processed this year, you should submit your application as soon as possible, but no later than January 16, 2012. If you are interested in becoming a Military Police Officer, you should submit your application as soon as possible, but no later than November 14, 2011.'

I know this hasn't been updated since last year as it says jan 2012. But I'm not sure how I can be accepted to a university program before January when the ROTP application is due. I suppose I'll just have to call a recruiter to find out.  Actually one recruiter I spoke to told me it would likely be difficult to get accepted into the ROTP since I already have a degree so I am glad that it does happen!

I know a number of NOs that have gone this route so it is possible. To be open about the situation...I applied before my first year started but didn't get the call until the summer after that academic year so my first year of nursing was on my dime. It was unfortunate as it put me in the hole financially but in the end it was worth it. Its a career that's hard to beat in my opinion.

As you stated, speak to the recruiter and see what they have to say, the sooner the better.

Back