• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Room and board while at BMQ

Double-R

Inactive
Reaction score
Here is my situation, I am married and about to attend BMQ. I was told I do not qualify for storage but I don't have to pay room and board because of my maritul status.  So my wife and I gave up our apartment and moved in with my mom while I attend BMQ.  We put all of our things in storage which we have to pay for ourselves but the CFRC told me just to bring my marriage certificate to BMQ to avoid the R&B charges. I got a call today from CFRLS reminding me to bring certain documents one of which was a copy of our lease/mortgage.  When I told her about my situation she told me I would be charged R&B.  I spoke with the CFRC and they told me not to worry about it but I have two people telling me two different things.  Has anyone had a similiar experience?

I'm no clerk, but I'm pretty sure that if you want to get rations and quarters paid for, you will have to bring in some sort of lease agreement with your mom.  Are you paying her rent?

We have a few here on course with a smiliar situation. Their spouse lives with parents, but pays rent to them. They drew up a lease agreement between the two of them, and the clerks had no problem with that here.

CallOfDuty said:
  I'm no clerk, but I'm pretty sure that if you want to get rations and quarters paid for, you will have to bring in some sort of lease agreement with your mom.  Are you paying her rent?

Yes I am paying her, thanks for the sugestion about the rental agreement.  I'll be sure to draw one up and bring it with me.

If you can provide info about being married and your paying for living you dont pay anything extra like R&B or anything else I do believe, and the difference in your check is pretty large, between 250-400 a check I think and Im not sure or not but it may also reflect on your dependants if you get paid a bit more or not.

Rations and quarters.........not room and board. Lets start using the right terms right away.

Government Subsidized Living Quarters and Pre-Scheduled Meal Preparation .

Sounds all gov't like now    >:D

Just a quick question, when your at BMQ and your other courses you do before you officially start your trade and get posted .. do they charge you for food and lodging?

I used the search page and searched on pay quarters BMQ, and limited the search to the last 365 days to generate recent responses. The second hit was this post:

CFLRS Internet Site, BMQ-IAP-BOTP Info, Joining Instructions & Related Info

And that post includes this statement:

7. If you are single, you must pay rations and quarters throughout your stay at the School at a cost of $425.00 per month.

Please use the search function to find your answers for simple questions.

quick answer: if you are single, yes. if you are married, no. (I know this goes for BMQ not overly sure about other training courses however)

If you are on a restricted posting while on course, regardless of what course it may be, you will have to pay for rations and quarters (R&Q).  If you are posted to a unit and subsequently sent on a course on Temporary Duty (TD) status, then you will not pay for R&Q.

Oh and in case it comes up as a question, the reason you will not pay R&Q if you are married is that you are already maintaining a primary residence where you are responsible to provide shelter for your dependants. 

Often in this case, you will also be entitled to a separation allowance.  To get that allowance, you have to show up with documents such as your marriage certificate or declaration of common-law status, as well as a copy of your lease/mortgage proving you are paying for a primary residence.

No I am not married nor am I in any form of relationship, but I do maintain a house. If I bring a copy of my mortgage agreement to basic will I still have to pay R and Q?

You might not have to pay for quarters but you will pay for rations.

For BMQ at St. Jean:

SINGLE
Rations - $493.00/month
Quarters - $88.00/month

A married member does not pay rations and quarters.

Sorry about asking in this thread, the search function seems to not be up just yet.  Where does one get a declaration of common law status?

erikh said:
For BMQ at St. Jean:

SINGLE
Rations - $493.00/month
Quarters - $88.00/month

A married member does not pay rations and quarters.

However, if you are maintaining a residence elsewhere (e.g. mortgage) but are not married, you may only be required to pay rations.

I have one of these forms filled out. Should i contact my file manager right away or do you think i should just bring it with me to my swear in ceremony?

Man $500 a month for food is pretty hefty. Year at college I got by on $200/month and I ate good. This better be gourmet food haha!

Back