• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rocket attack coincides with PM visit.

• Thread starter Thread starter Novie
  • Start date Start date
N

Novie

Keeping up to date with the info coming out of Afghanistan...this evening while sifting through the news I heard that the PM was on his way to visit our troops when there was a report of a rocket attack. It says that the PM was turned around before he could make his visit due to security reasons. Also, soldiers were sent to investigate but nothing turned up. Better safe than sorry.

I was also reading the National Post this morning and in the column it had mentioned that the PM‘s aides had warned him that he might not get a "warm" reception by our troops...considering.

Is there any connection here?...
I am not commenting yet. Just wondering what you guys are thinking.

Take care all...

Marc :akimbo:

Im not sure what you were reading but the info they had was wrong, i read te global news site, ctv news and cbc news sites and all three said that he landed, visited the troops for four hours then had to leave because of a reported rocket attack. He inspected a guard, spoke to the parade, viewed APC‘s and iltis, radar system, mine clearing techniques and went around talking to troops and he even played foosball with one soldier. he was heavily guarded by JTF2 wearing sport suits holding C7/c8 assault rifles, they also had two LAV 3‘s at the back of the parade square loaded and aimed towards the sky to protect the PM. He also had to go throught the city to the base in a convoy, his limo, probobly 2 suburbans (or similar) and he had 10 APC‘s to protect the convoy, the convoy swerved to go against traffic to avoid stopping.
Sgt, RCAC

This is why I withheld my comments. Of course, you never know if the news you are getting is correct, a little off or completely wrong. The last thing I want to do is comment on false information. CBC news report last nite stated that he visited the President of Afghanistan but on the way to visit the troops he was turned around due to security reasons. (ie rocket attack)

This is what CBC is reporting this morning.

PM rushed from Kabul after security scare
Last Updated Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:22:42
KABUL - Prime Minister Jean Chrétien was whisked out of Afghanistan Saturday amid what later turned out to be false reports of a rocket attack nearby.

Chrétien, who praised Canadian soldiers during a four-hour visit to the country, was posing for photographs at the airport when a top military commander insisted they get in the air for security reasons.

Jean Chrétien among the troops

"I want this plane out of here now," barked Canadian Maj.-Gen. Andrew Leslie. "There‘s been a rocket attack."

The prime minister, his staff and journalists covering the trip were told to get on the Hercules aircraft, which took off safely minutes later.

Radar had detected what appeared to be an incoming attack, but investigators later said it was a false alarm.

"There‘s a lot of danger for the prime minister here," Leslie had told reporters earlier in the day. "There are people who want to kill him."

It took courage for Chrétien to visit the region, the major-general added. Leslie is in charge of about 1,950 Canadian soldiers who are part of an international security force patrolling Kabul.

During his brief visit to Afghanistan, Chrétien visited Canadian soldiers at their base on the outskirts of the capital city and thanked them for risking their lives to bring stability to another land.

RELATED: Afghanistan progress encouraging: Chrétien

He also stopped at the palace to talk to President Hamid Karzai, who said: "Take back to Canada the thanks and gratitude of the Afghan people."

Chrétien flew to Thailand, where he will take part in the APEC summit that begins on Monday.

Written by CBC News Online staff

yea i guess there is alot of different info out there. however i saw pictures of the PM talking to the troops and inspecting the lines, so that pretty much seels the deal.
Sgt, RCAC

yes it does, however I am have "peasant vision" here in the boonies. You know, channel 3 and 5...ye ole rabbit ears! I‘ll have to wait until 10 tonite to see the pictures on the National.

:salute:

its funny because the day before that happened me and my buddy were saying our troops should rocket his ***

Back