• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rileys or Argylls

• Thread starter Thread starter babicma
  • Start date Start date
The Argylls are having an Open House every Wed night from 7 to 9 PM for the month of Nov.

We‘ve got a great new video in on basic training, so come on down to check it out.

However, in order to make it on the Jan 04 BMQ course, you need to get in ASAP and start the application process.

Don‘t wait another minute!!!

Go down to the CF Recruiting Centre at 55 Bay Street (across the street from Copps Colliseum) and get the application.

Remember, the application process doesn‘t happen over night like in US movies. It takes approx 4 to 6 weeks. Even if you are unsure about which unit you want to join, it is good to start the file now. You can always pick a unit later on.

As I said in a previous post, I don‘t care what unit you join, just as long as you join!

ARGYLL RECRUITING 905-541-ARMY.
All other units in the Hamilton Area: 905-972-4000

Heh, I‘ve been to the Recruitment Centre already. I know I wont make it into the Jan BMQ, too out of shape. When does the next session start up?

hey, about the RHLI recruiting in Burlington on staurday, from 10 - 3. there going to bring down an arsenal of weapons, form GPMG, LMG, C7/C8, Carl G, 60mm mortar etc, should be quite a show, ill be there helping out and doing some recruiting from my cadet corps,
and if u havent heard the RHLI is expanding into Burlington, opening up a burlington platoon, then moving to company size, quit big news

Odd, the Argylls are supposed to start a det in Burlington as well. Wow, the rumour mill is really churning out the stuff nowadays. Either way, at least there will be an infr reg there, which is good news.

Hey Jonsey, how outta shape are you? I‘m pretty sure that it would only take three or four weeks to get you into shape to pass the fitness minimum.

The next BMQ starts in June. Even if you can‘t make the Jan course, my suggestion is that you start the application process now. If you don‘t think you‘re in good enough shape, just hold off on the fit test until you are. The important thing is that you START YOUR FILE NOW.

Come in to the Argylls on Wed night or FRI during the day and we‘ll sort you out and will give you some exercises to get you in shape for the test.

The Argyll Recruiting Cell will be out and about Hamilton this weekend with the recruiting vehicle. You‘ll find them at Dundurn Mall (Dundurn and King) from 1000 to 1200 Hrs and then at Lime Ridge Mall from 1300 to 1630 Hrs. Just look for the military vehicle, cam netting, and all the banners.

100% Unofficial Argyll website at http://argylls.topcities.com. It‘s brand new, so it‘s a little light on content and some pages are under construction. Just give it time and it will come together. And, and icon or two is obviously ‘borrowed‘, but only for a couple of days until I find something that works and looks good.

Well, if the rumour is true, that would be good news for the RHLI. However, the RHLI barely have a company as it is in Hamilton. Are you sure it‘s not a new cadet platoon.

There are a lot of rumours flying around because of LFRR. Only time will tell what will happen.

no there already is a RHLI cadet corps in Burlington and hamilton, from what they told us, they want to start up a new platoon in burlington, runnning in the legion, then build up to company size, then open up an armouries in burlington, go figure, little burlington with an armourie.

Started my applications for the RHLI yesterday, went to check them out, and made the decision, already have the papers filled out, just got to drop them into the CFRC. They are opening a platoon in burlington, and then building up to company size, at which point another location will be found (buil armoury). If anybodys interested, the first courses in Burlington start in January, so get the papers started now, or you will be waiting till the fall.

So is it still gonna be called Royal HAMILTON Light Infantry or is Burlington gonna have their own name???

Cheers! :cdn:

from what he said its not going to change names, he said the RHLI would be one of the few reserve units in canada to have two locations, so that would indicate to me no name change.

Well, I just got back from checking out the Argylls. I‘m pretty sure I‘m going to go with them.

Hmmm, only two locations, eh? The Hasty Pees have about three locations now (Belleville, Peterborough, and Cobourg); RHFC have had three locations for a good number of years (Cambridge, Kitchener, Wingham) and also hold the Freedom of the City of Waterloo. 56 Fd Regt had two locations. (St. Catharines & Niagara Falls) in the late 80s/early 90s. Am I correct in recalling that the Grey & Simcoe Foresters are in Barrie as well as Owen Sound? Just out of curiosity, what other primary reserve units have multiple locations? I can understand the logic behind One Regiment -- Many Locations for purposes of unified ADM work; but it is not necessarily friendly to the preservation of local military heritage. I knew a couple of Hasty Pees in the late ‘80s who were all hot for "re-mustering" B Company as "The Peterborough Rangers" instead of being a part of a Regiment that didn‘t even perpetuate any Peterborough military units.

Neil

Lorne Scots - A Coy: Oakville, B Coy: Brampton, C Coy: Georgetown

11Fd - Guelph and Hamilton

EK Scots - Chatham and Windsor

Algonquin Regt - Timmins and North Bay

im just telling you what the RHLI officer told me, im not making any of this up on my own.

When the rumours started flying that 33CBG wanted to limit units to one outlying garrison, much mess banter in Peterborough swirled around reforming the Peterborough Rangers, as well as a variety of other names mostly related to the cast of characters which make up B Coy HAST & PER.

4 RCR has a Garrison in London and one in Stratford. I know about the one in Stratford because my recce det captured them on CRE. 1st Hussars have 2 locations. Sarnia and London. Detla Coy A & SH of C used to be located in Grimsby. :fifty:

You‘ll find that coast to coast various units/regiments etc. have company/squadron/battery and even smaller sub units (last time I checked the LSSR had a platoon sub unit in Marathon On) often located in different locations.

Most often it will be rural units that have the sub units in different locales, as opposed to urrban based ones. It‘s simple demographics guys.

Big cities like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, Halifax etc. have single units with all companies etc in one central location/armoury. They have the popuilation base to recruit and maintain the units in the immediate area at least in theory.

Smaller places, towns etc the units are usually spread out in more than one location including nearby towns. Once again the population here is more spread out so are the potential recruits etc. Simple right.

Example: 1st Bn RNFLDR is located in St. John‘s Newfoundland, a city and all sub units (companies) are (or at least were when I was there) in the same place, CFS St. John‘s/Pleastanville.

2nd Bn RNFLDR on the other hand is what I would call a more a rural unit with each of its three rifle companies located in a seperate smaller city or town, Stephanville, Cornerbrook, Grand Falls.

BTW the unit with most sub units in different locations is as far as I know 1st Bn Nova Scotia Highlanders with 5 line companies, (plus BHQ and Admin Coy) in 5 towns in northern Nova Scotia.

Back