• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reverse Pyramid Training

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Does anyone have any input on reverse pyramid training? 

right now I do pyramid training with weights (12-10-8) and it was suggested in passing to me by someone that I try the opposite.  8-10-12 or even 6-8-10.

I'm looking for input on reverse vs standard pyramid training with weights and not comparing them to other types of workouts though.

I have seen reverse pyramid training done with higher weight at the lower reps... for ie,

Dumbbell Curls
30lbs x 15 reps

40lbs x 10 reps

50lbs x 8 reps

I don't have a lot of experience on this one though. The few exercises I've conducted like this builds up a hell of a lot of lactic acid lol.  The big problem that I would imagine from this is going too heavy for the last set and not making reps though... also would seem difficult to know when to go heavier and by how much, especially in the lower weight / higher reps.  One thing I know for certain though... my body definitely felt it the next day  :nod:

ObedientiaZelum said:
Does anyone have any input on reverse pyramid training? 

right now I do pyramid training with weights (12-10-8) and it was suggested in passing to me by someone that I try the opposite.  8-10-12 or even 6-8-10.

I'm looking for input on reverse vs standard pyramid training with weights and not comparing them to other types of workouts though.

I do something similar to the second rep scheme you mentioned, except on the third set I'll usually go to failure

i.e.  60lbs x 8    60lbs x 10    60lbs x max(usually 15-20 reps)

I mostly just use this for DB rows, which technically makes it a "kroc row".You could definately use it for pretty much any other lift/exercise you wanted though.Except I wouldn't go to failure on squats,deadlifts or the O-lifts, that's just asking for trouble.Anyways I've found it to work pretty well for me, even if it isn't exactly the same as pyramid training it's close.

I would think that "standard" pyramid training would work better for building strength if you're bumping up the weight each set and lowering the reps, whereas "reverse" pyramid training is better suited for muscular endurance or hypertrophy as you are increasing the reps but keeping the weight the same each set.

Hope this helps,happy training man.

Edited to specify weight vs reps(I added "lbs")

Well I now realize re-reading this I'm an idiot.. lol I think I described everything you're already doing in normal pyramid training lol... shit..

I found this on another thread and thought of the pyramid training... even though I now know it's not what you were asking about, it still looks like a sold regimine.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ryan-hughes-muscle-building-program.html

MPMick said:
Well I now realize re-reading this I'm an idiot.. lol I think I described everything you're already doing in normal pyramid training lol... shit..

I found this on another thread and thought of the pyramid training... even though I now know it's not what you were asking about, it still looks like a sold regimine.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ryan-hughes-muscle-building-program.html

yup  ;)

It's funny you posted that work out routine, that's the exact same one I use and swear by.

Back