• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Pension- Merged

MikeH, are you referring to the Reserve Force Retirement Gratuity?

Mike H:

Since you will be voluntarily releasing with ten or more but less than twenty years enrolled you will receive 3.5 days of pay per year of calculated service.  If it's 20 years or over enrolled you would receive 7 days per year.  (All this information is in CBI 204.54 - see http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/cbi/engraph/home_e.asp?sidesection=6&Section=204.54&sidecat=21&Chapter=204#204.54)

You joined in April 1996.  Assuming you have no NES, ED&T, LWOP or time in the Supp Res since then, you will have between 10 and 12 years of calculated service - that's every day from enrollment through 28 Feb 2007 inclusive, plus all class B and C time from 01 March 2007 onwards, plus all paid class A days from 01 March 07 onwards multiplied by 1.4.  Not knowing your planned release date, I can't be more precise

Or, in mathematical notation: ( (All days enrolled prior to 01 March 2007 not NES, LWOP or ED&T) + (All days class B or class C from 01 March 2007 onwards) + (All paid days class A from 01 March onwards)*1.4) / 365 , rounded down.

Let's assume it's 11 years calculated time.  You would receive 3.5 days per year, multiplied the 11 years calculated above, for a total of 38.5 days of pay as your RFRG.

From your profile, you are a Cpl - I'll assume you are at maximum IPC.  Right now that's $125.86 per day.  Therefore, your gross RFRG would be $4845.61 ($125.86 per day x 38.5 days).  You can elect to have it rolled directly into an RRSP, in which case no taxes will be withheld.  If you decide to take it as cash, taxes will be withheld - I think the basic calculation is 20%, but I won't swear to it.  If 20% is withheld at source, you'd receive a payment of $3876.49.

There is also the pension plan.  You are now contributing to it.  You can also choose to have all your service prior to 01 March 2007 counted for pension purposes - that's the "election" you've received paperwork about.  If you want to count all your service prior to 01 March 07, you will have to pay back what would have been taken off your paycheque had the pension been in place, plus interest.  (it's a little more complex than that, but that's the basics).  You can pay that money back in a lump sum, in monthly installments, or in a mix of both.  You can also choose to buy back only a portion of that service.

As Rifleman62 stated, there are different options for the pension once you release (assuming it is not a medical release).  The decision whether to elect to buy back or not, and if so, how much to buy back, is different for every person; current finances, marital status and when you served part-time and full-time all factor into the decision.  While people on an internet message board can provide some information, it's ultimately up to you to research the situation and make a decision you are comfortable with.

Thanks dapaterson that helps making it easier to understand.I have 104 ED&T days out of this 104 there is not much class A days but that still go against me ,CL A days 3262 CL B 554, equiv full time svc 3.3014 this is from my CL C service calculation sheet. Well lets say my release date is Nov 1st. Not sure if I am releasing 100%.I'm moving to B.C when I get back.This tour will determine if I stay in or sick of it and get out.Sounds like the pay out isn't very good less than the old system.

MikeH said:
Sounds like the pay out isn't very good less than the old system.

It is basically still the "old system".  The only difference is with the introduction of the Reserve Force Pension Plan (RFPP) you are credited with time actually worked vice being credited for a whole year.  From what you have indicated about your background, your payout under the RFRG if you released in November would be the same whether or not the RFPP was or was not introduced.  You are not losing anything.

Not sure if I am releasing 100%.I'm moving to B.C when I get back.

BC has infantry units...

BC has infantry units...
Yeah if i stay in will join the Westies they have a coy 20 mins from where I'm going to live.So the roughly $3876.49.Is what I would get if it's the old system or the new one if I asked for a payout.Well I have to think about what I'm going to do stay in or get out .I always thought the old system was 10,000 for 10 yrs,I'm not money hungry just thought it was different..I wish there was someone I could sit down with and discuss my options.The info you guys are getting me is a big help.

MikeH said:
Yeah if i stay in will join the Westies they have a coy 20 mins from where I'm going to live.So the roughly $3876.49.Is what I would get if it's the old system or the new one if I asked for a payout.Well I have to think about what I'm going to do stay in or get out .I always thought the old system was 10,000 for 10 yrs,I'm not money hungry just thought it was different..I wish there was someone I could sit down with and discuss my options.The info you guys are getting me is a big help.

There is someone you can sit down with - check your nearest Release Section, they'll be happy to go over your options with you.

The big spike happens at the 20 year point, where the gratuity goes from 3.5 days per year to 7 days per year - in other words, it doubles.  It can act as a powerful retention incentive for folks at the 17 or 18 year mark.  The 7 days is also payable, regardless of years of service, to members released medically.

The amount has always varied based on rank and years of service.  Keep in mind that if you stay in until you've been enrolled 20 years you'll double the amount, plus any rank increases, plus your continued paid service will add more days pay.  If you work the standard 37.5 days per year, plus two weeks every summer, you'll add another year to your paid service.  So you'd be at 12+ years calculated time, at 7 days per year (since you'll have over 20 years enrolled time), equals 84 days of pay.  That's over $10K at current pay rates.

I've been trying for a while to elect now that I have all my prior service documents... the caluclator doesn't seem to work at all for me... and no one answers a phone in Ottawa.

This may be the first time in my life I'll hire an accountant....  :crybaby:

Cronicbny said:
I've been trying for a while to elect now that I have all my prior service documents... the calculator doesn't seem to work at all for me... and no one answers a phone in Ottawa.

This may be the first time in my life I'll hire an accountant....  :crybaby:

It's funny you said that, I just elected before Christmas and I had to find someone to help me with the calculator(a clerk). I have no faith in the calculation's, but I guess its better than not electing and hopefully Ottawa will find any mistakes. Saying that on my ship and others in Halifax, not many people have elected despite warnings from the pension people. I think number one problem is the fact that its not very user friendly.  I hope that won't cause people not to elect and lose out on their pension.

I just finished the paper work this weekend, (it took me a while to add up all the days or service, PILL, and earnings per year). I had all the docs up to 99 however I had to mail in a form for my service between 96 and 99.  I started the ball rolling anyway.  I still think this process is not user friendly and will likely result in fewer people electing. 

DSB

DSB said:
I just finished the paper work this weekend, (it took me a while to add up all the days or service, PILL, and earnings per year). I had all the docs up to 99 however I had to mail in a form for my service between 96 and 99.  I started the ball rolling anyway.  I still think this process is not user friendly and will likely result in fewer people electing. 

DSB

I have no doubt that's what they were aiming for.

I heard they sent people down to the KIN class out here in Esquimalt too, fat lot of good that did me being at VENTURE...

Stoker, if you think your calculations aren't correct there was another document on the site I noticed that you could fill out to debate what they're granting you :)

I wonder if I can fill that out right now?  >:D

Good Day All:

Ex CIL/CIC and PRes here and I got most of my docs in order for Reserve Pension Plan-I will have all docs soon. I am prepared to buy-back once I figure all this mess out. Can someone email or post info on a person or business that would go over the docs with me and has experience in buying back the Res Pension and calculations of Res pension etc.  I am not looking for any freebies here, I will remunerate as required. I have a lot of questions and need some credible, up to date accurate answers.
I reside near Guelph Ontario.
Thanks in advance.

If you have had trouble locating your records, a CANFORGEN has just been released that may help you out.  La version francaise en suivant.

CANFORGEN 045/08 CMP 022/08 251901Z FEB 08
IMPLEMENTATION OF RESERVE FORCE PENSION PLAN ADMIN PROCESS (FURTHER) MESSAGE
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. CANFORGEN 189/06
B. QR AND O 26.01 SERVICE RECORDS AND DOCUMENTS

REFERENCE A ADVISED THAT CF PERSONNEL WHO ARE ENTITLED TO ELECT TO PURCHASE PRIOR SERVICE MUST GATHER THEIR SERVICE AND EARNINGS RECORDS. REFERENCE B ON THE OTHER HAND STATES THAT IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CF TO MAINTAIN RECORDS. TO BE CLEAR, WHILE PERSONNEL WISHING TO BUY-BACK PRIOR SERVICE MUST INITIATE THE SEARCH, IT IS A CF RESPONSIBILITY TO PROVIDE THESE RECORDS

TO THAT END, EFFECTIVE 01 APR 08, NDHQ DIRECTOR MILITARY CAREERS AND ADMINISTRATION(DMCA) WILL BE RESPONSIBLE TO LOCATE CF SERVICE RECORDS. UNTIL THAT TIME, DIRECTOR ACCESS TO INFORMATION AND PRIVACY (DAIP) WILL CONTINUE TO OFFER ASSISTANCE TO AFFECTED PERSONNEL. THE 1-800 NUMBER TO ACCESS DMCA WILL BE PUBLISHED LATE MARCH 08

WHEN CF PERSONNEL CONTACT DMCA TO INITIATE A RECORDS SEARCH, THEY WILL BE ASKED QUESTIONS REGARDING THEIR SERVICE DETAILS. THE SEARCH WILL THEN BE INITIATED AND MAY TAKE SEVERAL WEEKS. ONCE RECORDS ARE LOCATED, THEY WILL BE PROVIDED TO THE REQUESTING INDIVIDUAL WHO WILL INSERT THE DATA PROVIDED INTO THE ONLINE PENSION CALCULATOR IN ORDER TO DETERMINE THE PENSION BUYBACK COST. THE PENSION CALCULATOR IS LOCATED AT: HTTP://WWW.ADMFINCS.FORCES.GC.CA/PENSION/CALCULATOR (UNDERSCORE)E.ASP?SEL(EQUAL)CALC

THOSE WHO THEN WISH TO BUYBACK PRIOR SERVICE MUST COMPLETE AND SUBMIT THE ELECTION TO PAY FOR PRIOR SERVICE FORM TO DIRECTOR CF PENSION SERVICES (DCFPS). DCFPS CAN BE CONTACTED AT: 1-800-267-0325. THE APPLICATION FORM IS LOCATED: HTTP://WWW.ADMFINCS.FORCES.GC.CA/PENSION/FORMS/ELECTION(UNDERSCORE)T O(UNDERSCORE)PAY(UNDERSCORE)FOR(UNDERSCORE)PRIOR(UNDERSCORE)SERV(UND ERSCORE)CFSA100M(UNDERSCORE)E.PDF

WHEN COMPLETE SERVICE RECORDS CANNOT BE LOCATED THROUGH THE SEARCH INITIATED BY DMCA, INDIVIDUALS MAY BE ABLE TO USE OTHER DOCUMENTS - OLD ROUTE LETTERS, COURSE REPORTS, FORMER CO STAT DEC- TO PROVE PRIOR SERVICE. THESE OTHER DOCUMENTS WILL BE USED BY DCFPS TO DETERMINE PAST EARNINGS

COMMANDERS AND UNIT ORDERLY ROOMS ARE ENCOURAGED TO ENSURE THE CONTENTS OF THIS MESSAGE ARE GIVEN WIDEST DIST

SIGNED BY MGEN W. SEMIANIW, CMP

CANFORGEN 045/08 CMP 022/08 251901Z FEB 08
MISE EN OEUVRE DU REGIME DE PENSION DE LA FORCE DE RESERVE - PROCESSUS ADMINISTRATIFS (SUITE)
UNCLASSIFIED

REF : A. CANFORGEN 189/06
B. ARTICLE 26.01 DES ORFC - DOSSIERS ET DOCUMENTS MILITAIRES

LE DOCUMENT DE REFERENCE A INFORME LES MILITAIRES ADMISSIBLES QU ILS DOIVENT REUNIR LEURS DOSSIERS MILITAIRES ET LEURS RELEVES DE REMUNERATION. TOUTEFOIS LE DOCUMENT DE REFERENCE B ENONCE QU IL INCOMBE AUX FC DE TENIR A JOUR CES DOSSIERS. BIEN QUE LES MILITAIRES QUI SOUHAITENT RACHETER DES SERVICES ANTERIEURS DOIVENT FAIRE LES PREMIERES DEMARCHES RELATIVEMENT A LA RECHERCHE, IL INCOMBE AUX FC DE FOURNIR CES DOSSIERS

A CETTE FIN, A COMPTER DU 01 AVR 08, LE DIRECTEUR - ADMINISTRATION (CARRIERES MILITAIRES) (DACM) SERA CHARGE DE TROUVER LES DOSSIERS MILITAIRES DES FC. AVANT CETTE DATE, LE DIRECTEUR - ACCES A L INFORMATION ET PROTECTION DES RENSEIGNEMENTS PERSONNELS (DAIPRP) CONTINUERA D AIDER LE PERS CONCERNE. LE NUMERO 1-800 POUR AVOIR ACCES A DACM SERA PUBLIE VERS LA FIN MARS

QUAND LES MILITAIRES COMMUNIQUENT AVEC LE DACM POUR QU UNE RECHERCHE DE DOSSIERS SOIT MENEE, DES QUESTIONS SUR LES DETAILS DE LEURS SERVICES SERONT POSEES. LA RECHERCHE SERA INITIEE ET POURRAIT PRENDRE PLUSIEURS SEMAINES. QUAND ON TROUVERA LES DOSSIERS, ILS SERONT DONNES AU MILITAIRE QUI LES A DEMANDE ET QUI POURRA ENSUITE LES INSERRER DANS LE CALCULATEUR DE PENSION DE PRESTATION DE RETRAITE EN LIGNE. IL POURRA AINSI DETERMINER LE COUT DE RACHAT DE SA PENSION. LE CALCULATEUR DE PRESTATIONS DE RETRAITE SE TROUVE A L ADRESSE SUIVANTE: HTTP://WWW.ADMFINCS.FORCES.GC.CA/PENSION/CALCULATOR(SOULIGNEMENT)F.A SP?SEL(EGAL)CALC

LES MILITAIRES QUI SOUHAITENT RACHETER LEURS SERVICES ANTERIEURS DOIVENT REMPLIR ET SOUMETTRE LE FORMULAIRE DE CHOIX DE CONTRIBUER POUR DU SERVICE ANTERIEUR AU DIRECTEUR-SERVICES DES PENSIONS DES FORCES CANADIENNES (DSPFC). ILS PEUVENT COMMUNIQUER AVEC LA DSPFC EN COMPOSANT LE 1-800-267-0325. LE FORMULAIRE DE DEMANDE SE TROUVE A L ADRESSE: HTTP://WWW.ADMFINCS.FORCES.GC.CA/PENSION/FORMS/ELECTION(SOULIGNEMENT )TO (SOULIGNEMENT)PAY(SOULIGNEMENT)FOR(SOULIGNEMENT)PRIOR(SOULIGNEMENT)S ERV(SOULIGNEMENT)CFSA100M(SOULIGNEMENT)F.PDF

QUAND LA RECHERCHE DU DACM NE PERMET PAS DE TROUVER LES DOSSIERS MILITAIRES COMPLETS, LES MILITAIRES PEUVENT UTILISER D AUTRES DOCUMENTS - ANCIENNES FEUILLES DE ROUTE, RAPPORTS DE COURS, DECLARATIONS SOLENNELLES D ANCIENS COMMANDANTS - POUR PROUVER LES SERVICES ANTERIEURS. CES AUTRES DOCUMENTS SERONT UTILISES PAR LE DSPFC POUR DETERMINER LES GAINS ANTERIEURS

ON ENCOURAGE LES COMMANDANTS ET LES SALLES DES RAPPORTS DES UNITES A S ASSURER QUE LE CONTENU DE CE MESSAGE EST DISTRIBUE AU PLUS GRAND NOMBRE DE PERSONNES POSSIBLE

SIGNE PAR LE MGEN W. SEMIANIW,CPM

COMMANDERS AND UNIT ORDERLY ROOMS ARE ENCOURAGED TO ENSURE THE CONTENTS OF THIS MESSAGE ARE GIVEN WIDEST DIST

SIGNED BY MGEN W. SEMIANIW, CMP

Ref. CANFORGEN 045/08 CMP 022/08 251901Z FEB 08
I was wondering if the toll-free number to access DMCA has been made available yet?
I need that number!
Thanks.

Quick Question for the great thinkers here

Just saw my contributions to the Reserve Pension for the last 12 months - about $4000

My question

Since the Pension was passed into law and does anyone think we can transfer the compartive value of the contributions from Day 1 of the Reserve pension to the actual plan - or

Do they do this in calculatting the buyback?

If we can't the government is hitting you twice for the same thing

Look fwd your replies

All current contributions (since CIF) will be taken into consideration.
The moment I signed up and was recognized, they dropped my current contribution to 1%....  PLUS what I am buying back.

54/102 CEF said:
Quick Question for the great thinkers here

Just saw my contributions to the Reserve Pension for the last 12 months - about $4000

Actually, it's for 10 months - only since March 1st 2007.

My question

Since the Pension was passed into law and does anyone think we can transfer the compartive value of the contributions from Day 1 of the Reserve pension to the actual plan - or

Do they do this in calculatting the buyback?

If we can't the government is hitting you twice for the same thing

Look fwd your replies

Not entirely clear on your question.  Your terminology is off - what do you mean by "Reserve pension" and "actual plan"?  There are two plans:  Part I.1 is for the part-time Reservist; Part I is for the Regular force and full-time Reservist with 5+ years of continuous full-time service (simplified - rules are a bit more complex, but it's an adequate definition for this discussion).

If you roll over from the part-time plan into the full-time plan your contributions from the part-time plan are rolled into the full-time plan.  You are also able to elect to buy back the difference between the part-time plan contributions and the full-time plan contributions - that's the "top-up" election.

Puzzle solved - you don`t pay twice - the pension drones get you some sort of adjustment from the Tax drones.

Back