• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

Meters for all Canadian charts at this point. Fathoms or (yuk) feet for US charts.
My chart my rules ;)

My electronic charts can do all three.

I run feet for my own personal use for pleasure craft on internal waters, as I don’t do fathoms, and down here when I speak meters off a range, it confuses folks.

I keep asking,

Where do we get the sailors to crew these subs? How many sailors, overall fleetwise, are we already short?

What you can't,,,,,,fathom it?

mic drop

I'm here all week folks
Clapping Slow Clap GIF by Davey And Jonesie's Locker

I keep asking,

Where do we get the sailors to crew these subs? How many sailors, overall fleetwise, are we already short?
1800 short I think.

Where to get sailors? First boat in the water is 2035 so... who knows in 10 years. Those being recruited now will be PO2s and MS or Lt(N) and new LCdrs. And we'll likely only need 35ish submariners for the first boat. Then assuming a drumbeat of one more sub per year it will be 12 more years to get all of them. So those recruited now will be nearing retirement ages when the last boat will be delivered.

Long story short, you can't assume the pers challenges of today will be the same tomorrow nor can you answer what the next 20 years holds.

As regards recruiting, many decades ago when I was being courted (as an MSEO in training) to switch to subs, I heard lots of stories about the initiation process for new submariners.

The rumour was that those without the submariner qualification (their dolphins) could be ridiculed, humiliated and generally abused (regardless of rank) simply by virtue of being new.

I don't know if those rumours were true. I would hope that any such activities (if they did indeed take place) have ended. New guys need to be welcomed, trained and celebrated when they achieve their qualification.

Anyone care to comment on submariner 'culture'?

As regards recruiting, many decades ago when I was being courted (as an MSEO in training) to switch to subs, I heard lots of stories about the initiation process for new submariners.

The rumour was that those without the submariner qualification (their dolphins) could be ridiculed, humiliated and generally abused (regardless of rank) simply by virtue of being new.

I don't know if those rumours were true. I would hope that any such activities (if they did indeed take place) have ended. New guys need to be welcomed, trained and celebrated when they achieve their qualification.

Anyone care to comment on submariner 'culture'?
I mean who wouldn’t want to get a cigar tube jammed up their anus?

And with that single, insightful comment, the problem of recruiting for submarines has been identified :)
Well Tramua Bonding is still bonding right?

Honestly, I remember that incident from the news years and year ago - and I wondered WTF is wrong with those folks.
Not sure if it was a widespread issue (and trying not to make a joke in that) - but I know I was not the only one to have lingering doubts about the Submarine service in Canada.

Well Tramua Bonding is still bonding right?

Honestly, I remember that incident from the news years and year ago - and I wondered WTF is wrong with those folks.
Not sure if it was a widespread issue (and trying not to make a joke in that) - but I know I was not the only one to have lingering doubts about the Submarine service in Canada.

And that is different from the CAR how?

And that is different from the CAR how?
The Patricia in me (or what is left of one) feels compelled to point out that the rather disgusting and disgraceful hazing activities where limited to 1 CDO (thus Vandoo's) -- 2 and 3 where primarily related to drinking, and Zulu warrior dance -the flaming TP in butt crack - which while I'm typing sounds a little weird - but at least you got to insert the TP yourself.

disgusting and disgraceful hazing activities where limited to 1 CDO (thus Vandoo's) -- 2 and 3 where primarily related to drinking, and Zulu warrior dance -the flaming TP in butt crack - which while I'm typing sounds a little weird - but at least you got to insert the TP yourself.
And bit by bit the root problems with recruiting are being uncovered :)

-the flaming TP in butt crack - which while I'm typing sounds a little weird - but at least you got to insert the TP yourself.
"Sounds a little weird".....if that only sounds a little weird to you . Then you lived a far more "interesting" life then most people...
Of course the last time I replied to the question what the Strangest thing you've ever seen.
The reaction was that I needed "I needed help".

The Patricia in me (or what is left of one) feels compelled to point out that the rather disgusting and disgraceful hazing activities where limited to 1 CDO (thus Vandoo's) -- 2 and 3 where primarily related to drinking, and Zulu warrior dance -the flaming TP in butt crack - which while I'm typing sounds a little weird - but at least you got to insert the TP yourself.
Ah the Flaming Zulu…that was a…hot mess.

I’m here all week…

12 SSKs

4 in Esquimalt cycling through the Bering to Tuk and Resolute

4 in Halifax cycling through Baffin to Iqaluit and Resolute

4 in either Halifax or Esquimalt for alliance surges.

Parking dead quiet in the narrows monitoring and controlling passage.

Somebody asked about Tenders -

Got me to wondering about how effective a barrier force would be with 4 SSKs and 2 AOPS routinely patrolling The Bering and Baffin Bay with 4 SSKs and 2 AOPSs in repair/refit/surge.

The 2 spare AOPSs would operate in the Arctic.
The 4 spare SSKs would operate internationally, when available, with the CSCs and allies.

Somebody asked about Tenders -

Got me to wondering about how effective a barrier force would be with 4 SSKs and 2 AOPS routinely patrolling The Bering and Baffin Bay with 4 SSKs and 2 AOPSs in repair/refit/surge.

The 2 spare AOPSs would operate in the Arctic.
The 4 spare SSKs would operate internationally, when available, with the CSCs and allies.
That would probably require about 16 to 18 SSKs . It would be amusing to watch the Treasury have a collective stroke. As well as the Surface Warfare community.

Back