• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rename 97st to Heroes Boulevard? (Edmonton)

Chapeski said:
I think that name might be a bit big to fit on a road sign, but I like it!

All kidding aside, did they not mention it was only going to be the section of road between 111 Ave and 119 Ave? If that's the case why did they choose to pick only that section? Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks!

Because that's the only part of 97 St that actually IS a boulevard.

Tess, Tess, Tess
I think they were going too..but realized it was a deadend >:D hehehe

Chapeski,
The petition to "have 97th Street from Jasper Avenue to the Edmonton Garrison renamed as Heroes Boulevard" 
From the very bottom all the way out to the the garrison, not just a small chunk, hope this clears it up for you.

GAP said:
As Wes pointed out, Winnipeg has one road which stands in quiet dignity.....Valour Road.

I remember going to a near by McRottens, for a Big Mac, and then parking on Valour Road to eat. If memory serves me correctly, it was named that because of three soldiers from the immediate neighbourhood all won the VC during The Great War. One's name was Hall (I think). CBC used to have a viginette on this, and it may still play around 11 Nov or so.
Regards,

Wes

Overwatch Downunder said:
I remember going to a near by McRottens, for a Big Mac, and then parking on Valour Road to eat. If memory serves me correctly, it was named that because of three soldiers from the immediate neighbourhood all won the VC during The Great War. One's name was Hall (I think). CBC used to have a viginette on this, and it may still play around 11 Nov or so.
Regards,

Wes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz6n2eJ2s50

dileas

tess

ENGINEERS WIFE said:
You are willing to step up, risk your life and do the right thing. 

I know of lots of professions that, should the need arise, do that also..........

Hmmm.... given that Endmonton is the home of 1 CMBG, would be nice to recognize it as such.... VS Heroes Blvd... how about "Billy goat lane"... or something along that line

Why not just Garrison Road?  Maybe a little too obvious, I guess.

Tess, you're a wizard, thanks for that youtube link. I have not seen this since 1994.

Educational and to the point.

Sacrifice, courage, teamwork, and mateship!

Cheers,

Wes

geo said:
Hmmm.... given that Endmonton is the home of 1 CMBG, would be nice to recognize it as such.... VS Heroes Blvd... how about "Billy goat lane"... or something along that line

It's a ram, not a billy goat....

I'm partial to "Veterans Way" - I think it isn't hokey like "heroes" and yet really achieves the intent of the motion.

I like Veterans Way as well, In my hometown of 30,000 people Ontario, there is a street with that same name.

Infanteer said:
It's a ram, not a billy goat....

;)  You ever see a POd billy goat ???  It's a Ram-ram here, a ram-ram there, here a ram, there a ram, everywhere a ram-ram

How about Patriot's way ? (seriously)

the 48th regulator said:
I hear that they were bantering around with Tess' Blvd. I kinda like the zing of that.
dileas
tess

- Being an Edmonton taxpayer, I would be more than happy with the naming of ALL of 97th Street (between Jasper Avenue and the North Saskatchevan River) "Tess Blvd."

8)

TCBF said:
- Being an Edmonton taxpayer, I would be more than happy with the naming of ALL of 97th Street (between Jasper Avenue and the North Saskatchevan River) "Tess Blvd."

8)

Alrighty,

I think we are getting the momentum!!

Write your letters folks, and I promise a big BBQ if they name it, all paid for by the city of course!

dileas

tess

Tess
Sorry to inform you 97th street ends at Jasper Ave. There is nothing after Jasper Ave except a very steep hill to the river. But heck maybe they can rename the hill 48th Regulator hill or something of that nature.

military granny said:
Tess
Sorry to inform you 97th street ends at Jasper Ave. There is nothing after Jasper Ave except a very steep hill to the river. But heck maybe they can rename the hill 48th Regulator hill or something of that nature.

Now we're whistling dixie!

Does the hill have clear space at the bottom to build a ramp?  We can set it up for some sweet tobaggan runs!

dileas

tess

Well there is a major road way to cross and a few trees to be cleared but hey there could be a decent ramp built to jump the road.

military granny said:
Tess

- Pay no attention to her Tess, she lives in St. Albert!

;D

- On the other hand, 97th does start up again at some point SOUTH of the river...

TCBF said:
- On the other hand, 97th does start up again at some point SOUTH of the river...

So what you are saying is we need a ramp good enough to clear the river??? Did I mention I was a carpenter in my previous life???

Chapeski said:
So what you are saying is we need a ramp good enough to clear the river??? Did I mention I was a carpenter in my previous life???

- Big river valley - more like: The Gorge Of Eternal Peril:

Scene 35,

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/mphg/mphg.htm

Back