• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Red Seal Electrician

Dinozzo

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a Red Seal construction electrician and I am looking for a place in the force where I will best suit the skills I currently have and also to build new skills along the way.

I have experience in troubleshooting, leading a crew, service calls, transformers and metering equipment for residential and commercial buildings. Things that interest me are: renewable energy, generators and maintenance.

It finally hit me one day while I was on my way to a service call and stuck in traffic "why am I wasting away my life sitting in traffic for something that does not put a smile on my face after I finish the job?" Not only do I want to find something exciting, but I want to find something that is rewarding, knowing I made a positive difference for one person or the whole country. :cdnsalute:

I think I prefer to be on the ground and I believe my skills would be best suited in the Army, but I am open to suggestions! Any opinions on what I should pursue? Also, I would love to hear from anyone on what you decided to sign up for and what you enjoy or don't enjoy about it.

Hi,

Based solely upon your work credentials and work experience, without considering the limited information you provided about your interests, you may want to consider applying for the trade of "Construction Technician". I am not really sure if the workers in this trade perform actual electrical work, but I would watch a video on the trade if I were you.

Regards,
wnhan

Not sure if you got a response yet but for army and air force there's two:
Electrical Distribution Tech- basically a Contruction Electrician.

Electrical Generation Systems Technician.  I worked with a couple retired guys civvie side who landed jobs with Cummins and commissioned 20KW generators in remote locations in the arctic.

Construction Technician is all structural.

There's also lineman.  It's a sub occupation of ACISS.  It's  telecommunications, cat 5/6/7, fibre op, etc but you get to climb poles and towers to do your work.

I'm a red seal sparky and came back to the forces after a 13 year hiatus to be a reserve lineman and it's a blast.

Electrical Generation Systems Technician are one of the first one deployed is it's  your goal to be.
In the middle of no where the is no power...

Funny, I've heard so many trades say that they are the first to be deployed.  Infantry is the first to be deployed because they need fighters.  Lineman are the first to be deployed because they need comms.  Sigs are the first to be deployed because they need comms, etc...
Reality is, it's hard to say who is really the first to be deployed outside of Cansofcom because they all go together as a battlegroup.  Want deployments?  Join a trade in demand and aim for a unit that deploys a lot.

One-off said:
Reality is, it's hard to say who is really the first to be deployed outside of Cansofcom because they all go together as a battlegroup.

1.) You’re correct that a variety of trades will deploy together during a roto, however everyone doesn’t deploy as part of a battle group.

2.) CANSOFCOM does not deploy battle groups. You should probably research what a battle group is.

Pickle Rick said:
2.) CANSOFCOM does not deploy battle groups. You should probably research what a battle group is.

Thanks dad but I already knew that.  That's why I said outside of CANSOFCOM.  I meant all the other MOC's go as a battlegroup and the squirrels do their own thing.

One-off said:
Thanks dad but I already knew that.  That's why I said outside of CANSOFCOM.  I meant all the other MOC's go as a battlegroup and the squirrels do their own thing.

Dad?

Misread what you wrote. How ever, not all units will deploy as part of a Battle Group, but may form an NSE, TF HQ, etc.

Lol, Couldn't help but throw that in there ;)

After you commented I re-read what I wrote and realized it was rather easy to misconstrue so that's partly my bad.

I dislike all the rumours that get repeated endlessly that are along the lines of "do this trade, they always deploy first", because really, what sense would it made to deploy only one trade lol.  And yeah you caught me using battlegroup as a blanket term as I avoided going into too much detail about the what/when/how involved in units deploying lol

Sorry Off One but a didn't say the first one deployed, but one of the first one
like someone said, they are deployed with some others, but sure they are not the last in line,
not power in the jungle, in the middle of the arctic or in the desert, is a real problem some how,
so they are one of the first deployed, not searching here who is the first one to be on the ground

I wouldn't have said anything but from what I can tell, you're doing a lot of assuming and passing misinformation.  I haven't been on a sh** ton of exercises but I've been on enough without an EGS tech in sight to know that we can survive in any environment for an undetermined amount of time without them being there first, or second, or third.  Permanent power is a comfort not a necessity, the rest of the time small portable generators and our super quiet :face palm: tactical generators are used.

Back