• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Applicant's Questions (Airborne Coys, Fire fighting, & more)

undecided

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of joining the army. I have only my fit test remaining, and that won't be a problem. I am undecided because I don't know which of my occupations I want to go into. My choices were fire fighter, which I have been for two years as a volunteer and have certificates. Also, I know how difficult it is to become a fire fighter but it would still be nice. However I do not intend to wait to be offered a fire fighter position. My other choices were Communicator Research Operator and Infantry. As long as I can remember I have wanted to be in the infantry, I seem to like everything about it, but I really would want to become a para trooper. What companys in the Royal Canadian Regiment and the PPCLI are jump companys? Also, what kind of careers can I get into after being in the infantry for three to five years? I might stay in forever, but I just don't know. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

undecided. ???

Depending how long you wanted to be in the military, you have a few options open to you. Your firefighting certs will not help you in the military. The military fire fighting is very difficult to get into, and it's usually full of guys who are doing their component transfers.

You can't lose going into the combat arms at the beginning of your career, but keep in mind that once you're in it might be harder to get an OT or component transfer into something else you want. If you plan on a career in the infantry, you can get out and do a number of different things, but generally speaking you will also need some civillian education to get into another career out of the Forces.

3-5 years in the army.......It'll take awhile to get your courses done, barring injury and being in PAT PL, so it depends on course availability too............The Jump companies, well I can't speak of that, so someone else will have to give you some direction on how long it'll take to get into one of the companies, and then after that how long it will take to earn your wings.

From what I hear the Comm Research guys get a comprehensive training program and work with all the top of the line high tech secret stuff.  I have a friend whose Comm Research and he doesn't tell me much about his job.  After the contract you can get jobs at Bell Canada and stuff.  If you're only going in for three or five years, I'd recommend that route.

Presently 3 RCR has one jump company, Mike Company.  If you are a checked out soldier, you will get loaded on a jump course early in your career.  Usually a person is nominated by the CSM of a company and then a battalion PT test is given to determine who will attend the course.  Mike Coy is always looking for keen young men to soldier with.

As for a job when you get out.... the infantry is not that great for options.  The skills you learn are not used on civie street often.  There are exceptions of course like police departments and security positions.  If you really excel and shoot for JTF2, then your options greatly increase.

Best of luck.

If you're lucky and switched on, you can be jumping fairly soon in your career.

In the fall I was course officer for a DP1 (Basic Infantry Qualification) course at LFCA Meaford where the troops were in their final stage of training (3rd of three courses), which for them was a one-year process.

At the end of BIQ, it all depends where you get posted.  26/31 troops in my platoon there came back to 3 RCR.  Being in 3 RCR (or 3 PPCLI or 3 R22eR) means that you will get a priority for positions on the Basic Para course in Trenton.

Example:
They joined Jan 04;
They did Basic in Winter 04;
They did the Army course in Summer 04;
They did the Infantry course in Fall 04;
*They were then posted to 3 RCR*;
Those who wanted to went on Basic Para Feb/Mar 05; and
Some of them are being posted to Mike Coy (Para) after coming off of their basic Recce course.

Hint: If you want to go Para, stress early on that you want to go to 3rd Bn (any reg).  Your BIQ course staff WILL NOT be able to promise you get what you want, but if X amount of spots are available, and the other troops don't care where they go, then you MAY get your wish.

I hope this helps.

Back