• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruit training discipline

• Thread starter Thread starter dannybou
  • Start date Start date
Last summer, I *think* that my sect 2ic, a MCpl, was sort of hoping someone would call him out.  In his twisted way, I think this would have given him some sort of satisfaction.  Although he was a major tool (I know guys in his regiment who tell me what a knob he is), he honestly thought he was GI Joe or something, and wanted to PT the snot out of us and give us the big c()ck.  Without going into too much detail, he was way overboard quite often, and I could swear a couple of times he really wanted someone to step forward and "sort things out" with him out behind the tent lines.  The fact that he was a fitness instructor and built like a brick sh_t-house probably kept any takers from opening their yaps.

What tipped me off is during one day out in the field, we stopped in some brush for a little break, and we somehow got into a half-joking little wrestlemania.  Only about 2 or 3 guys would take on this MCpl, and of course they'd lose because most of our guys were skinny 18 year olds (and I was 28 and too smart to try!  haha!), but this guy was really enjoying it and putting the hurt on when he got the chance, and it went way past the half-joking stage.

I'm all for the "old way" but this guy just wasn't a professional at all.  I'm glad that almost every other MCpl I've met wasn't like this guy.

Fines as a result of disciplinary action are explained in QR&O's (Queen's Regulations and Orders).
They're not something an instructor can mete out.
An instructor can, however, order a course to double-time (run) everywhere in order to teach them the benefit of arriving on time, and if necessary have them enter and exit the classroom several times until they get it right.

Having said that ... last time I was course commander for a recruit course, all instructors were ordered not to swear.
If they did, they were encouraged to donate to the "potty mouth fund" - a jar in the orderly room.
It worked, extremely well.
The recruits came to respect the fact that they were being treated properly and not being abused by their instructors, especially when they saw poor examples being set by instructors from other courses (as an aside, the Brigade Commander eventually ordered another course to come under our command - their performance was THAT bad ...).

Any individual who can not normally/routinely express themselves without resorting to profane language is merely revealing to the world that they have limited intellect - there are absolutely wonderful expressions in the English language whereby an instructor can express their disappointment in a candidate's performance ...
In addition, as noted in other discussions about transgressions which swiftly come to the attention of the public, you never really know who's listening ...

In order to earn the respect of the candidate, and maintain the respect of the citizens we protect, it is essential for soldiers to behave in a disciplined manner.
It's also called Leadership by Example.

Finally, having said all of the above ... yes - there will eventually come a day when swearing might happen.
At that point in time, it is infinitely more effective if it is a rarity - rapidly focussing attention on the problem at hand
(e.g. "GET THE F*** DOWN!!!  INCOMING!!!"  I've seen it happen, for real.)
It's sort of like a siren - if you use if all the time, people ignore it and it loses its' effect.

When one treats people with benevolence, justice, and righteousness, and reposes confidence in them, the army will be united in mind and all will be happy to serve their leaders.
Chan Yu, fl. 1000

Back