• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recipes

Awesome! Looks like I'll be getting the "goods" for it and trying it myself next week as I am on vacation  ;D I'll have to reply back here again and give the scoop on how I liked it also.

~Rebecca~

ya i liked it too. I doubled the recipe. I never made the donair meat before, but it was great the whole house filled with the smell of donair!

TN2IC said:
JagerMeister drinks...   ;D
JagerBomb

1 Shot Jagermeister 1/2 can of Reb Bull (can be done with rocks too...)

I had way to many of these on friday.
They are awesome!

Try a JagerMeister and Rumplemints shot...I like those too!

I have a recipe here, actually I have to credit my Mom for it because it is hers. It's quite easy to make and awesome with all those burgers or dogs that anyone is planning on grilling up for the Summer time. It's great on ham sandwiches or on the side with baked ham also. The trick is, the longer it sits the spicier it becomes. When I have made it, I've let it sit over night and found that it was perfect.

Mustard

1 cup dry mustard
1 cup white sugar
1 cup white vinegar
2 eggs

Soak Mustard and Vinegar overnight. Beat eggs well and add to sugar, mustard and vinegar. Cook to a full rolling boil. Stir constantly a few minutes. Remove from heat and beat with mixture until steam disappears. Refridgerate.

As per our fun afternoon with the Fondue, there is one last recipe that I do want to add. I will list suggestions for what you can buy to have with it, or you can just use any of your favourite fruits.

Now with all the great stuff on here, I do think we should definately make a Recipe book!

Chocolate Fondue

12 Oz. Semi Sweet Chocolate or Milk Chocolate
3/4 Cup 35% Cream
2  Tbsp Liqueur (Grand Marnier, Brandy or Amaretto) ~ I used the Amaretto

Chop the chocolate into small pieces using a large serrated knife. Heat chocolate and cream together in a stainless steal pot over low heat stirring constantly until chocolate is melted and smooth. When the chocolate is warm and glossy stir in the liqueur and transfer into a fondue pot. Place over a warming candle or heat source.

~Ideas for goodies you can get to eat with your fondue. The kids have a great time picking stuff out for this~

Strawberries (number one ingredient!), Mandarin Oranges, Kiwi Fruit, Cantelope, Apples, Pears and Bannana's

~Rebecca~

A note on Joonrooj 's Beer-butt chicken (mentioned earlier)

I have used this technique and found that it works quite well. For larger chickens though, you may find that the can is not tall enough.  In this case I use a full can of beer and I put an apple on the top pf the can with the core cut out and about three cuts sliced into the sides of it .  The slices and the hole through the center of the apple let more of the juice out.  My favorite apple to use is a granny smith but I have also used golden delicious when I wanted a sweeter taste.  This adds a bit of sweet taste to the chicken and can offset the beer, which can be a bit bitter when cooked, especially if it is cooked too long.  You can use this in an oven or a BBQ, if it is big enough.  I do not recommend Guinness for this and I have found the best results with a lager or pale ale.

When cooking in an oven it is also nice to poke holes in the chicken skin and insert onion slices and sprigs of fresh cilantro. The taste of the cilantro complements a lager beer nicely.

So crack yourself a cold one and enjoy your summer BBQ.
Cheers.

proudnurse said:
~Ideas for goodies you can get to eat with your fondue. The kids have a great time picking stuff out for this~

Strawberries (number one ingredient!), Mandarin Oranges, Kiwi Fruit, Cantelope, Apples, Pears and Bannana's

~Rebecca~

To add to your chocolate fondue, try with:

Small marshmallow rice crispy squares, bite sized cookies (cooked soft), small brownie squares (adults only perhaps?  ;) ), marshmallows, jujubes etc.

The list could be very long, so take a look what's in the cupboard!

Cheers!

Homemade Irish Cream MMM good!!

Ingredients:
1 can Eagle sweetened condensed milk
1 cup Southern Comfort whiskey or Irish whiskey
2 tablespoons Hershey's syrup
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups half & half
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules

Directions:

Mix and bottle.
Chill for approx 1 hour before serving.

Adalcia said:
To add to your chocolate fondue, try with:

Small marshmallow rice crispy squares, bite sized cookies (cooked soft), small brownie squares (adults only perhaps?  ;) ), marshmallows, jujubes etc.

The list could be very long, so take a look what's in the cupboard!

Cheers!

Interesting that you should mention this ~ when my daughter and I did our fondue, I was thinking of what other "treats" we could use next time that we did make it, and was having a hard time coming up with more ideas other than fruit (oh I did think of pretzels though and Angel Food cake  ;D) Thanks for the tip on Rice Krispy Squares.. will have to keep that in mind. And retiredgrunt, as for your Irish Cream recipe, I'll definately have to remember that one  8) there is nothing like a glass of it on ice, or in winter time with Hot Chocolate.

~Rebecca

This is the most delicious fish dish EVER. Please try. (It's better with more cheese.)

Salmon Steak In Sour Cream

2 lbs Salmon Steaks (1/2 - 1 inch thick)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 pint Sour Cream
1 cup milk
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped Swiss Cheese
2 hard cooked egg yolks, mashed
1/4 tsp paprika

Cut salmon steaks into 4 portions, butter a casserole dish big enough to hold all the salmon steak side by side.

Rub each fish steak with salt and pepper on both sides, place in casserole dish.

In a bowl, mix the sour cream, milk, bread crumbs and chopped Swiss cheese. (You can use any other kind of cheese you like.)

Spoon this mixture over the salmon steaks.  Sprinkle with the egg yolks, then the paprika.
Cover the baking dish and cook in preheated 350 degree oven for 35 - 40 minutes. Remove the cover the last 10 minutes of baking.

I just went back to this thread after quite sometime, and something I am thinking. Now that we have many great recipe's in this thread and I do recall someone mentioning previously that we should make an army.ca cookbook (or now with the amalgamation of the boards milnet.ca cookbook or whatnot) What would everyone think of that, and possibly take a poll of ideas on where we could donate the proceeds from it.. ie: Sapper Mike McTeague Wounded Warrior Fund?

~Rebecca

ingredients
1 1/3 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup cider vinegar
1 large onion, chopped
6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 chickens, each cut into 6 pieces
preparation
Combine first 8 ingredients in heavy medium saucepan. Simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors. Season with pepper. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover; chill.)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Arrange chicken in single layer in large baking pan. Brush with some sauce. Roast until cooked through, basting occasionally with sauce, about 1 hour.

Well I decided to try this as something new along with the fact I was just scrounging around the kitchen for things. When I placed the "cider" in I thought too much, but to challenge that tast I cut 1.5 jalapenos. So you get that sweet taste then a quick shot of hot. Along with that I have decided to soak the chicken before hand in the sauce to allow more flavour in the chicken. Also I scrapped the use of the oven and went to the bbq since it was such a nice day outside

Take care Can-Am

Great thread

Joonrooj good recipe. Penny good amendment. Combined them both and had it for dinner with fresh steamed young fiddleheads and wild rice. WOW WOW WOW you all have got to try it!!!. Tenderizes the meat and JUICY succulent.Done on an open covered campfire grill burning very dry hickory and (mostly) oak with the bird inside the top of an old dutch oven cover(to keep it moist)((important)) Im going to try it next with a (smallish) young turkey. Delicious. I recommend a full beer can. I used Kokanee.

I will contribute my fave BBQ Broccoli/Artichoke heart puff sidedish recipe when I get a moment to.

Anyone got jerky recipe faves? Salmon jerky? Cod Halibut?

ZBM2

Ok it's been a while, so here is one more to add to the list here. I learned to make it this week, when I did a lunch call for homecare... my client actually taught me how to make this so it was alot of fun and I even got to take a little bit home with me.

Chicken Schnitzel

4-6 pieces boneless chicken
1/2 cup flour
4 eggs
2 tablespoons Tex Mex spice
2 tablespoons Garlic powder
2 tablespoons Oregano or Italian Seasoning
2 freezer bags, one for shaking the chicken in the mix and one for putting the chicken in to  tenderize them before mixing them in the dry ingredients. 
And don't forget, depending on taste you may add the amount of spices that you like  ;D

You will also need...

One frying pan (with olive oil for frying) glass baking dish, tenderizer, and one bowl for your eggs.

Crack the eggs in a bowl and wash chicken in cold water. Pre-heat oven to 250 C, so you can keep the pieces warm while cooking them as you go along. Put all dry ingredients in a freezer bag, and tenderize chicken pieces in the other one. Dip pieces in beaten egg, then shake in them in the bag with dry ingredients. Fry in the pan with olive oil and place in the baking dish, and keep in the oven until they are all done. Serve with your fave side dishes. Don't fry too long on each side, they cook up fast.

Enjoy! Rebecca

Addictive Mexican Stew
taken from lilydale.com

Time to Make: Less than 30 minutes
  Servings: 5 - 200 g serving size

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup diced onions
1-2 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups cooked turkey, diced or shredded
1 (1.25 ounces) package taco seasoning mix
2 (14.5 ounces) cans ready-cut diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (15 ounce) can Pinto beans or kidney beans, drained
1 (8.75 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch

COOKING DIRECTIONS:
1. Cook onion and garlic in oil in large saucepan until tender.

2. Add cooked Turkey, taco seasoning, tomatoes, beans, corn and chilies.

3. Blend broth and cornstarch; add to saucepan.

4. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes; stirring occasionally.

5. Serve with cornbread for a hearty meal. 

fast, filling, and excellent taste!

Nutrition Information
(per serving)

Calories: 559 

Total Fat: 6 g 

Protein: 69 g 

Carbohydrate: 56 g 

Sodium: 834 mg

Not a food recipe, but one for an international drinking game. I was sitting in in a bar in New Zealand with quite a few friends all chatting about drinks etc. After a quick chat with my friend who was the bar manager that night we decided to concoct a canadian shot.

Chilled shot glass
add 1/3 finely crushed ice (or snow if you have it but ice works fine)
Ice / Snow will melt slightly as you top up with vodka.
Add brown sugar (maple sugar) over top. Hold up. It will look like it is snowing.
Hammer back.
Not the tastiest drink (as good vodka has no taste) since there is not alot of time for the maple sugar to reach the tastbuds. And some people get icecream headaches. Most of the time you feel the warmth in your belly as your body is telling you that you just swallowed ice. lol. I'm still working on it. But its great when playing an international drinking game with people from around the world.

Springroll said:
I had way to many of these on friday.
They are awesome!

Try a JagerMeister and Rumplemints shot...I like those too!

I believe that is refer to as a Dead Nazi. I drink those too.

Just got my USA Army Recipes CD, and here's the TOC:
http://milnewstbay.pbwiki.com/f/ArmyRecipeTOC.pdf

My favourite recipe titles:
Pig’s Feet, Simmered
Fish Squares, Dehydrated, Oven Fried
Beef, Dried, Creamed Chipped (a.k.a., SOS)
Beef Pattie Mix, Bulk or Ground Beef, Creamed Ground (variation on SOS theme)
Chitterlings, Frozen, Simmered
Broccoli, South of the Border
Potatoes, White, Fresh, Oven-Glo

Mmmmmm...... pig's feet.......

Cold weather season is upon us ... once again! Here is one slow cooker recipe to add. This has been tested and is pretty good :)

Chili

1 Lb Ground Beef
1 Onion chopped
1 Green pepper chopped
1 1/2 tps salt
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
2 tsp Worchester sauce
1 can tomato sauce
1 can kidney beans
1 can stewed tomato's
2 cups grated cheddar
1 Tbsp Garlic

*also some of the other things I have liked to add sometimes, is some frozen corn, can of potato's, can of mushrooms

Brown ground beef in a skillet. Add onion and green pepper 1/2 way through browing the beef. Drain and pour into slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook on high 3 hrs or low for 7-8 hrs. Serve in bowls with grated cheddar :)

~Rebecca

Back