• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ranks and the Responsibility's

Status
Not open for further replies.

infuntry_boi

Inactive
Reaction score
I have searched and searched, both on and off the forum. For information about the ranks and the responsibility's that go with them. All it says on the recruiting videos and website is "you will oversee the training and equipment of the members under your command" (I know it's not a exact quote, :)). Anybody have anything more specific?

Thank you one and all!

maybesomedayinfantry said:
I have searched and searched, both on and off the forum. For information about the ranks and the responsibility's that go with them. All it says on the recruiting videos and website is "you will oversee the training and equipment of the members under your command" (I know it's not a exact quote, :)). Anybody have anything more specific?

Thank you one and all!

varies from trade to trade.....you have to be more specific.  My responsabilities as  MCPL are different than those of an infantry MCpl.........Basicaly i have none right now.....i dont have any subordinates........i'm the low man....not upgraded yet so not fully qualified.

Sorry  :-[... I was thinking Res Infantry.

Well i was never infantry but combat engineer, thats close.  As a MCpl in that trade i was often either the section commander or 2i/c.......i lead my section during exercises, took care of section administration ( evaluation, personel records, duties), took care of some of my troops training.....sat on troop merit boards for promotions....took care of discipline issues, things like that.  Ensure that all section stores were in working order and also ensured that the section vehicule was taken care of.  Later on as an istructor at the school, i was responsible for designing and delivering training courses....taught classes both in classrooms and in the field.  I acted as course NCO and did similar duties as a section commander with regards to my students.....

Thanks. I was just trying to get a better idea of the duties the officers performed.

Oh sorry......you were lookinf for officer duties......

Well my troop commanders made sure i did the above....hows that ?

Anybody have anything more specific?

Dude,

The combined experience in years here would be in the thousands and the combined responsibilities endless.....you need to be more specific as to what info you are looking for.

potato

spud said:
Dude,

The combined experience in years here would be in the thousands and the combined responsibilities endless.....you need to be more specific as to what info you are looking for.

potato

Let's put it this way:  You will begin your new position, whatever it may be, by signing part one of a PDR on which will be listed all the responsibilities you are expected to fill in that position.  Every position will have different responsibilities.  That is why the discription that you have is so concise and generic.

In the Res Inf, in general:

-OCdt - being trained and developed
-2Lt -being trained and developed; some junior staff work under supervision e.g. assisting superiors with routine paperwork, assembling lists of names for various things, etc.
-Lt - commanding a platoon; junior staff work, may hold some junior staff posiitons under supervision e.g. Training Officer, Transport Officer, etc.
-Capt - commanding a platoon; with increasing experience, junior unit staff positions such as Training or Transport Officer, more senior unit staff positions e.g. Company second-in-command, Adjutant; junior staff positions at a higher HQ level e.g. various junior staff positions in a Brigade or Area HQ
-Maj - commanding a company; with increasing experience, senior unit staff positions e.g. Deputy Commanding Officer or higher HQ staff positions
-LCol - commanding a unit; with increasing experience, senior higher HQ staff positions e.g. Chief of Staff, Deputy Commander of a Brigade

Beyond this, an officer ceases to belong to a specific occupational speciality.  Cols and Gens wear generic army badges and can hold a range of senior positions at army and CF level.  The highest rank achievable by a Res F officer is generally Lt Gen, of which there is one, the Chief of Cadets and Reserves.

Two caveats--first, being trained, learning and being developed continues throughout an officers career as a responsibility; it's just that its the main responsibility of the very junior officer ranks.  Second, the above is very generalized, and will be heavily influenced by who's actually available.  I've seen Lts doing fairly senior jobs in Res units, 2Lts commanding pls, Capts commanding companies and Majors commanding units.  This is espcially true in Res units, that often to be woefully short of personnel, especially at the more senior rank levels.

dglad said:
Second, the above is very generalized, and will be heavily influenced by who's actually available.  I've seen Lts doing fairly senior jobs in Res units, 2Lts commanding pls, Capts commanding companies and Majors commanding units.  This is espcially true in Res units, that often to be woefully short of personnel, especially at the more senior rank levels.

How true. When I got back to the Princess Louise Fusiliers from my Ph II inf crse in Aug 83 as a brand new 2Lt I was told I was going to be the pl comd/course offr for the TQ1 inf crse starting in the fall. I had just finished that crse in Mar before becoming an Ocdt  :D

However I had already decided they couldn't pay me enough to go back for Ph III inf so I transferred to 723 Comm. After a month there I was made OC Sp Tp without a clue of what that entailed. Yes, the reserves can be very flexible  ;D

Conversely, when I paraded at HMCS Tecumseh in Calgary with 746 Comm the naval reserve unit had upwards of 40 offrs and I really had no idea how they managed to keep them all remotely gainfully employed.

Hmmm.... from an NCos perspective

Ocdts - should be seen, not heard
2Lt - Should listen to his NCOs
Lt - Platoon commander, should listen to his NCOs
Capt - Senior platoon commander or Coy 2 i/c, should listen & talk to his NCOs
Major - Coy commander - listens and talks to his NCOs
LCol - Has lunch with the RSM

geo, you must be close to hanging up your uniform for the last time. Only people with time-in would have such sound advice.

geo said:

Some good points here. 

I am an armoured officer, so I will offer you the responsibilities of an Armoured Troop Leader.  A troop is the armoured equivalent of an infantry platoon (both are sub-sub-units) and is the first "command" for a qualified junior armoured officer coming out of the schools.  A troop can have anywhere from four to eight vehicles and sixteen to thirty soldiers depending on the organization it comes from.

From chapter two of the good book "A troop leader is responsible to the squadron commander for the command, control, organization, fighting effectiveness, training, discipline and welfare of his troop.  He understudies both the battle captain and the squadron liaison officer and replaces them when necessary."

While the troop leader is responsible for all those things, he is certainly not alone.  The troop warrant officer is the 2ic of the troop and has a wealth of training and experience (the troop leader has some training and usually no experience).  Together, the Tp Ldr and Tp WO are a command-team.  While the Tp Ldr is responsible for everything, the Tp WO is the one who has the focus on morale and discipline.  He is also the one who organizes the troop in the sense of assigning positions to the soldiers in the troop (manning is very much an SSM thing).  Fighting effectiveness involves things like maintenance and readiness, in which the Tp WO and Tp Maint Rep (often the Tp MCpl) have a huge hand.  Training is also shared.  The Tp Ldr may be the one drafting a troop training plan (if there is one), but the Tp WO and NCOs will all contribute and will the ones executing it for the most part. 

I think that as long as the troop leader consults with his troop warrant before doing things that have an impact on the troop everything should go OK.  For instance, when a task comes from SHQ for your troop to provide a soldier for something do not come up with a name on your own and give it to them.  Go to your Tp WO and ask him.  If you are tasked to run a rifle range do not cloister yourself in an office and come up with a plan on your own.  Go to your Tp WO to devise the way ahead.  In the field you may not be able to have a council of war with your Tp WO and other crew commander for every tactical decision, but if you have the time and opportunity it is never a bad idea.  When you start out you should be given some time in the field as a troop to "shake out."  Take this time to work out troop drills and SOPs as a group, so when you have to do it quickly you've already discussed with them the best way.  Crawl, walk run as opposed to our urge to run, stumble fall.

The Tp Ldr who tries to do everything and arrives breathing fire will often fail.  The thing to remember as a newly arrived officer is that you are still being trained.  Officer training at Gagetown is high-quality, but it is only the start point.  Your Tp WO and other NCOs will continue to develop you, as will the officers in your sub-unit.

During my time as reserve troop leader, in garrison I looked after paperwork (UERs etc) for the soldiers, attended meetings, passed on O Gp points to the soldiers, drafted training plans and read the odd Sentinel magazine in the Tp office when hiding from the BC.  I taught the odd class (troop tactics etc) and attended hands-on classes given by the NCOs (gunnery, comms, etc).  On weekend exercises I would lead the troop in the field, assisted of course by my Tp WO and my Tp MCpl who was also my gunner and or driver.  I was the course officer for several courses and attended other courses as well.

I apologize if I gave you too much and if it was armour specific. 

Cheers 

davidhmd said:
... posted again in April, to what, I have no idea. It's max flex in this job, never really know what you're going to get.

We can always use another young officer here to pick on  ;D

geo said:

This man is wise.  Listen to him.  My only revision would be:

OCdts - should be seen, not heard, but should watch, listen and LEARN

Heh....
Conceeded - Ocdts can watch listen and learn - but you provide the watch with the Mickey Mouse hands :)

Just to add my .02 to Red_five's post, if I remember correctly, on my PLQ course, the big thing about the responsibilities of the Troop O and the Troop WO, were this;

The Troop Warrant is responsible for the training and effectiveness of the whole Troop......... ensuring that the patrols and individual call-signs do their job.  The Troop Warrant is repsonsible for the training and effectiveness of the individual soldiers.

Something like that anyway........... cursed death by powerpoint..........

recce....
you're right.... the WO is everywhere ;)

reccecrewman said:
Just to add my .02 to Red_five's post, if I remember correctly, on my PLQ course, the big thing about the responsibilities of the Troop O and the Troop WO, were this;

The Troop Warrant is responsible for the training and effectiveness of the whole Troop......... ensuring that the patrols and individual call-signs do their job.  The Troop Warrant is repsonsible for the training and effectiveness of the individual soldiers.

Something like that anyway........... cursed death by powerpoint..........

I think you mean the "Troop Commander" in that first role highlighted above, unless you are such a fan of the WO that the Troop Comd is actually unnecessary....

And now we're getting into the respective roles of officers and NCOs.  That's a related, but very different topic, and a fascinating one to discuss (or watch being discussed).  Everyone knows in GENERAL what officers do and what NCOs do (or what each is supposed to do, anyway), but that's about as far as consensus goes.  The devil begins to appear in the details, as each "camp", and then each individual in that "camp", has their own take on EXACTLY what the respective roles are.  I think there's at least one other lengthy thread kicking around on this site about that very subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back