• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions on language profiles

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
What is the process for cf members interested in obtaining a language profile?

Is the process different for reservists trying to get testing than for regular force?

DAOD 5039-8 is your friend:  http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/5000/5039-8-eng.asp

Instructions provided for both Reg F and P Res.

Bump.

As a recovering frenchman who joined an (english) reserve unit out West and has french as my language of choice, do I get tested for english or french? It states that the test should be for the least proficient language. Who decides this? 

NinerSix said:
Bump.

As a recovering frenchman who joined an (english) reserve unit out West and has french as my language of choice, do I get tested for english or french? It states that the test should be for the least proficient language. Who decides this?

It's generally based on what you "declared" as your primary language/mother tongue/first official language (FOL) at the time of enrolment.

As a reservist, I just did my French language test for a federal public service job.  At the commencement of the test they asked everyone to write down their PRI or S/N.  I was told the results would be mailed to me in a couple of weeks.  The question is; would those results be valid to be put on my MPRR? and if so, would I have to do that through the OR, or would it automatically be updated because I had my S/N on the test form?

Robert0288 said:
As a reservist, I just did my French language test for a federal public service job.  At the commencement of the test they asked everyone to write down their PRI or S/N.  I was told the results would be mailed to me in a couple of weeks.  The question is; would those results be valid to be put on my MPRR? and if so, would I have to do that through the OR, or would it automatically be updated because I had my S/N on the test form?

You would think it would be updated automatically but it may not.  Your OR won't be able to help you either as they do not have access to the Language Panel in HRMS.  If you take your forms to your local BCOL/WCOL office, they should be able to fax the results into Ottawa and have your MPRR update.

Robert0288 said:

With a SN it may be automatically populated.  If not, bring a copy of the test results to your OR who will handle it IAW A-PM-245 to get your MPRR updated.

I've had the exact same issue, and have had no luck. My chief clerk said something to the effect that the CF requires the language results in a certain form or format, and that they won't work with what I was provided.

Robert0288- if you have any success, let me know. I'm still interested in this.

http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc-cpp/test-examen-result/result-eng.htm

Go here for the official copy of your test results. If they don't take this, they are right out to lunch.

Brihard said:
I've had the exact same issue, and have had no luck. My chief clerk said something to the effect that the CF requires the language results in a certain form or format, and that they won't work with what I was provided.

Robert0288- if you have any success, let me know. I'm still interested in this.

If you provide the PSC SLE test results, you are providing them in the proper form.  I would recommend going back to your chief clerk to be given the specific problems with the documetnation you provided.  Saying "This ain't right." does no one any good.  Saying "This is what is required." is a bit more helpful.

For the record, I received my results via email (a PDF form) and forwraded it to my OR.  The results were updated in EMAA within a week or two.

Your milage may vary (as may your OR).

dapaterson said:
If you provide the PSC SLE test results, you are providing them in the proper form.  I would recommend going back to your chief clerk to be given the specific problems with the documetnation you provided.  Saying "This ain't right." does no one any good.  Saying "This is what is required." is a bit more helpful.

For the record, I received my results via email (a PDF form) and forwraded it to my OR.  The results were updated in EMAA within a week or two.

Your milage may vary (as may your OR).

I got mine also in the recruitment process for another federal organization. I received each test result separately as a PDF. Is this what you got?

My history is a little bit more checkered - did my initial testing in the military; gave a copy of my MPRR in when I entered the public service and my profie was carried over; re-tested my written skill once in the public service (as I'm exempt in the other two); got the re-test result by as a PDF email; forwraded the PDF to my reserve unit OR, and had the information promptly updated.

Base/Wing/Unit Orderly Rooms do not have access in HRMS (PeopleSoft) to update Second Language profiles.  Even someone with "National Access" doesn't have the ability to do it either.  Don't bother going to your Orderly Room, just take your documents to your Base/Wing Coordinator of Official Languages Office (BCOL/WCOL) and they will send it off.  I believe that for Reserve Units, they just forward the documentation to the Bde who in turn forward it to Ottawa for input or they may even just be forwarding it themselves.

Back