• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question Regarding Rings

OneCadet

Inactive
Reaction score
I know it states that in the CF you are allowed to wear engagement rings. I was wondering about promise rings? Some people consider these to be like engagement rings and I would say they are kind of important. So are there any regulations on them? If not, can they be worn?

From CF Dress Instructions:

JEWELLERY
6. The only jewellery that may be worn in
uniform shall be a wrist watch, a service-issued ID
tag, a Medical Alert chain identifier, a maximum of
two rings which are not of a costume jewellery
nature and a tie tack/clasp. Additional rings may
only be worn where they indicate professional
standing, such as an engineer, or are worn with a
wedding band as a single set indicating betrothal or
fidelity, e.g., an engagement or an anniversary ring.
Safety regulations should always prevail, especially
in workshops, warehouses or during operations.

By that definition, your promise ring would be allowed as I would assume that is is "not of costume jewellery nature", as long as you are only wearing one other ring or set with it.

Depending on what trade you are or go into, you may not be allowed to wear any jewellery at all.  No rings, No watches, No necklaces.  Even the dogtag chain can be a nuisance.  I know in the MSE and EME trades, you're a fool if you wear a ring or necklace on the job.  I remember on POET, they wanted us to remove all "watches, rings, and bling-bling" 
Safety first.  You are the one who needs to know/remember that you are promised/taken/married.
Have a Safe Day. :army:

When I go up flying, I remove my rings and put my dog tags in my leg pocket (actually, it's always there).  All I keep is my watch.

Max

True story:

Returning from a week in the field in Gagetown, I believe it was in 1971.

Normally when the deuce and a half stops, the two people closest to the tailgate, release the tailgate pins and let the tailgate drop.

We had one guy who was in a hurry and very short in height. Before the tailgate was dropped he jumped over the tailgate and when he hit the ground he was minus one ring finger. :warstory:

Ones trade will determind if it is wise to wear rings.

Leaving your rings off is good, but I disagree with removing your I tag. You never know when, where, how, or in what condition you're going to return to earth. That I tag's got your blood type on it and nobody's going to find that buried in a pocket. It's also common courtesy to consider those who may have to pick up or identify your smashed and charred remains.

I came darned close to loosing a finger to machinery / moving parts.... fortunately for me, the ring had a crack.... else I'd be facing problems holding my golf club ;)

Loachman said:
Leaving your rings off is good, but I disagree with removing your I tag. You never know when, where, how, or in what condition you're going to return to earth. That I tag's got your blood type on it and nobody's going to find that buried in a pocket. It's also common courtesy to consider those who may have to pick up or identify your smashed and charred remains.

In combat I would probably wear them.  Here, on training, I'm pretty sure the doc can figure my blood type pretty easily and they can ID me pretty easily as well.  I don't want them to catch on something and choke me while doing manoevers...

Max

When in Petawawa, Trenton, Halifax or KAF, typing away on your computer in your air conditioned office, you are by regs allowed to wear one ring. If you are young and silly enough to think a promise ring is important enought to be the one ring you wear, then by all means.

It is my prefessional opinion, as a Medic and a Sgt, that weaing of any rings outside of an office setting is not a safe thing to do.

But you should know that questions like this are best answered by your own chain of command.

Loachman said:

Blood is cross typed and matched before transfusion is started. Therefore that info is just "nice" to have.

If charred remains are all that are left...dog tags don't mean much. Esp if he is 1 of 1 in the plane.

I do believe this is a thread about rings...no?

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
When in Petawawa, Trenton, Halifax or KAF, typing away on your computer in your air conditioned office, you are by regs allowed to wear one ring. If you are young and silly enough to think a promise ring is important enought to be the one ring you wear, then by all means.

Can't find the darn reference, but I believe it's two rings (not "costume jewelery") and if a wedding band and engagement ring are a matched set, I believe most places only count it as one ring.  That being said, I'm all in agreement about not wearing them outside of an office.  I usually only wear a wedding band and put it on my keyring if I take it off somewhere.

Would a 'college' ring be considered of 'costume nature' or is it essential for 'knocking'?  And is it true that they are given to graduates so that the wearer can judge the maximum allowable depth while picking his nose?

In combat I would probably wear them.  Here, on training, I'm pretty sure the doc can figure my blood type pretty easily and they can ID me pretty easily as well.  I don't want them to catch on something and choke me while doing manoevers...

Max

That's why they are made with sink chain ie: very low breaking point.

Unless you weigh under 4 lbs or some-such very low number they would break long before they could choke you or hang you up.

SupersonicMax said:
In combat I would probably wear them. 

Max....first...go read the 1 Cdn Air Div orders

second......i've been wearing my dog tags on every flight for the last 3 years.  I've had them on with the snowbirds being flipped every which way and i dont understand how they would catch on something and choke you.

My own experience - any ring that is/was important enough to me get's/got put on my dogtag ever since my first wedding band got caught in a cam net getting tossed onto the back of a truck and nearly taking my arm with it.  There seems to be a family history there too - my dad almost lost a finger when a ring snagged on a chain link fence playing baseball.  Long story short - I only wear a ring on social occasions or when working behind a desk.

As for those concerned with the blood groups - you get typed/cross matched or screened as you come through the door anyway, regardless of what the tag says.  And if it isn't there - oh well, you get typed and crossed anyway and if you're really sick and they can't wait for the immunological stuff to get done, you'll get O Neg until the good stuff shows up.

MM

CDN Aviator said:
Max....first...go read the 1 Cdn Air Div orders

second......i've been wearing my dog tags on every flight for the last 3 years.  I've had them on with the snowbirds being flipped every which way and i dont understand how they would catch on something and choke you.

I know the orders, but I do that now because it happened to me once, while entering/recovering from a spin on the Slingsby.  It got loose from my neck, got stuck on the back of the seat and really freaked me out at a very bad moment.  Since then, I simply put it in my leg pocket, with my immunization book.  All the information on the tags can be (easily) recovered and very quickly too.  During training, if a plane goes down, they know exactly who was on board and as medics said already, the blood type will be re-matched anyways. I did follow the regs until something happened to me.

Max

SupersonicMax said:
I know the orders, but I do that now because it happened to me once, while entering/recovering from a spin on the Slingsby.  It got loose from my neck, got stuck on the back of the seat and really freaked me out at a very bad moment.  Since then, I simply put it in my leg pocket, with my immunization book.  All the information on the tags can be (easily) recovered and very quickly too.  During training, if a plane goes down, they know exactly who was on board and as medics said already, the blood type will be re-matched anyways. I did follow the regs until something happened to me.

Max

Just making sure you did your quarterly reading ...... ;D

Did you write it up as a flight safety.....i would have

SupersonicMax said:
  It got loose from my neck, got stuck on the back of the seat and really freaked me out at a very bad moment. 

Your tags came loose from under your t-shirt?  Bizarre! 

Keep your tags next to skin and your natural body oils/sweat should help stick them to you.  Not sweating?  You're not working nearly hard enough.  :)

Two ring stories:
Mid-nineties at CFC Farnham I met a driver from the service battalion who was minus his ring finger. Some years before he had jumped off the running board of a deuce and his ring got caught on the bolt on the door mirror. His nickname was "niner"... I also remember being on a field ex were some poor sod had lost his wedding ring in a field during a section attack. We searched for it for a while, but no luck. He was near tears. I had never met his wife but apparently he had good reason to cry!

I don't wear rings or jewelry in uniform, just my Ironman watch. I have also wrecked/lost a bunch of expensive sunglasses while in uniform, but I digress...

Back