• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

So far, so good on tanks named for civil war generals, but there are more!

So far we have:

Sherman
Grant

I think you are thinking of the M3 Lee (named for Robert E Lee) but I dont rememebr if that was a US or British name. 

Hmmm. Arent all US tanks (and some IFV) named for famous generals?

I.E. Pershing, Patton, Sheridan, Walker, Chaffee, Abrams, Bradley

Hey wait a sec, is Sheridan another Civil War general?

Even the French have one - Leclerc

Some good answers so far, remember that we are looking just for US civil war Generals for these tanks.  So far we have

Sherman,
Grant
Lee,
Stuart
Sheridan

Are there any more?

While not strictly speaking "a tank", it was one that was in my mind as well.

I think that's all of them, but I am happy to be corrected.

Can anyone name a US tank that is not named after a general?

Discounting US tanks without names ... and there are a lot of those
M22 Light Tank  'Locust' although the name originated with the British.

redleafjumper said:
Some good answers so far, remember that we are looking just for US civil war Generals for these tanks.  So far we have

Sherman,
Grant
Lee,
Stuart
Sheridan

Are there any more?

Technically it was the Brits who first started calling the M-3 medium tank the Grant and the later version the Lee ( of the other way round can never remebr which version came first). I don’t believe they ever nicknamed their M3 (and later M-5) light tanks the Stuart though. Most accounts I’ve seen refer to it as the Honey in British Service.

redleafjumper said:

Sherman,
Grant
Lee,
Stuart
Sheridan

Are there any more?

Apparently there is this cancelled M8 "Buford" Armoured Gun System,http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m8-ags.htm , http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_Buford,,00.htmlalthough it should be noted that it is not considered a "tank",  but it was another armoured vehicle intended to be named for a civil war general nonetheless.

This the fellow?
Hobart Amory Hare Baker, who captained Princeton's hockey and football teams, is a charter member of the United States Hockey Hall of Fame and one of a handful of Americans to be inducted into Canada's Hockey Hall of Fame, and is a member of Princeton's Hall of Fame, both football and hockey. He was killed during World War I at the age of 26.

A213170.jpg

Okay, what is this? (See picture above). Going for a specific answer to a very vague question. ;)

Uhhhh..... what is this?.....
Hmmm - Korea vintage pic of Patricia type in Coveralls (WW2 pattern webbing), Lee Enfield in one hand and herbie beater in the other - having a smoke in a cigarette holder made out of .....

Good general answer Geo, but to be even more specific, its http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/mediawiki-1.5.5/images/5/55/A213170.jpg
Mike, that close enough?

having a smoke in a cigarette holder made out of .............a tip of a buffalo horn?

"What member of the Hockey Hall of Fame was killed in WWI and what unit did he serve in?"
Rhibwolf said:
This the fellow?
Hobart Amory Hare Baker, who captained Princeton's hockey and football teams, is a charter member of the United States Hockey Hall of Fame and one of a handful of Americans to be inducted into Canada's Hockey Hall of Fame, and is a member of Princeton's Hall of Fame, both football and hockey. He was killed during World War I at the age of 26.
Wasn't thinking of Hobey Baker but yes he does count. Who is the other one, Clue: He won Stanley Cups

Michael: I think he has dispossessed some poor Chinese fellow of his ox horn cigarette holder, and quite possibly is wearing somebody else's light canvas jacket or heavy shirt. 

Back