• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

redleafjumper said:
Hmm, no new questions for awhile.   Here's one from the Great War:
Who was Ducky Norwest and how did he get the nickname "Ducky"?

"Lance Corporal Henry 'Ducky' Norwest, MM and bar, (1888 â “ 1918). Albert Regiment, 50th Battalion Canadian Infantry.
The psychology of the sniper is an intriguing one, and none so more than 'Ducky' Norwest who followed his trade on the Western Front with an unusual degree of application, industry and cunning. His record British sniper toll was 115 'confirmed kills', all of which are said to have been confirmed by his 'official observer' Private Oliver 'Shorty' Payne. How many 'non-confirmed kills' there were is not known.
Norwest was a Métis (Cree Indian/French) former rodeo rider and ranch hand and, latterly, a Mountie (Canadian Northwest Mounted Police). He was born in Alberta on the Hobbema Indian Reserve. He first joined the Canadian Army on the 2nd January 1915 but was discharged for drunkeness. After the short spell as the Mountie he re-enlisted in September 1915 and, as part of the reinforcements for the Canadian Expeditionary Force, sailed for France in August 1916.
His nickname of 'Ducky' is said to have been derived from a comment he made that whilst he was on leave in London, 'I had to duck the girls there'.
Norwest always used the standard Canadian Ross rifle with telescopic sights and a modified stock. Norwest's astounding sniper toll was said to be due to his supreme markmanship, stealth tactics and his command of camouflage. In addition to his sniping skills he was said to be an expert on reconnaissance and carried out many missions into No mans land.
He was awarded a MM for his actions during the Canadian attack on Vimy Ridge in April 1917 and a posthumous bar to his MM in1918.
His nemesis came on 18th August 1918, when on a mission in the Fouquecourt Sector, France, to eliminate some particularly troublesome German snipers: one of the German snipers shot him through the head.
On his temporary grave marker his comrades wrote 'It must have been a damned good sniper that got Norwest'"

http://www.westernfront.co.uk/thegreatwar/articles/individuals/notableindividualsmtoo.htm

Ducky Norwest was always ducking the girls that wanted to go out with a real red Indian from Canada!

Armyvern has well completed the answer to the question about this Canadian hero.

What was the implement known as the "trench broom"?

I knew that the Thompson SMG Trench Broom would be an easy one!  Quick response Michael.

Who was it that "...shouldered their packs with Marechal Saxe.."

redleafjumper said:
Who was it that "...shouldered their packs with Marechal Saxe.."

Maurice, comte de Saxe (Moritz von Sachsen, 1696-1750) was a general and military theorist who successfully led French armies during the War of the Austrian Succession (1740-48).

http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/l/la_tour/maurice/com_saxe.html

com_saxe.jpg

Yes, that is indeed Marechal Saxe, but who is it that (more of a hint - almost a giveaway) "...carried our packs with Marechal Saxe when Louis was our King..."

That is close enough, it is the Irish Guards as in Kipling's poem.  Kipling's son was killed in WW1 when serving as an officer in the Irish Guards.

The Irish Guards
Rudyard Kipling

Of meeting the Guards' Brigade.
'Twas Lally, Dillon, Bulkeley, Clare,
    And Lee that led us then,
And after a hundred and seventy years
    We're fighting for France again!
        Old Days! The wild geese are flighting,
            Head to the storm as they faced it before!
        For where there are Irish there's bound to be fighting,
            And when there's no fighting, it's Ireland no more!

Ireland no more!
The fashion's all for khaki now,
    But once through France we went
Full-dressed in scarlet Army cloth,
    The Englishâ ”left at Ghent.
They're fighting on our side to-day
    But, before they changed their clothes,
The half of Europe knew our fame,
    As all of Ireland knows!
        Old Days! The wild geese are flying,
        For where there are Irish there's memory undying,
            And when we forget, it is Ireland no more!

Ireland no more!
From Barry Wood to Gouzeaucourt,
    From Boyne to Pilkem Ridge,
The ancient days come back no more
    Than water under the bridge.
But the bridge it stands and the water runs
    As red as yesterday,
And the Irish move to the sound of the guns
    Like salmon to the sea.
        Old Days! The wild geese are ranging,
        For where there are Irish their hearts are unchanging,
            And when they are changed, it is Ireland no more!

Ireland no more!
We're not so old in the Army List,
    But we're not so new in the ring,
For we carried our packs with Marshal Saxe
    When Louis was our King.

But Douglas Haig's our Marshal now
    And we're King George's men,
And after one hundred and seventy years
        We're fighting for France again!
        Ah, France! And did we stand by you,
            Then life was made splendid with gifts and rewards?
        Ah, France! And will we deny you
            In the hour of your agony, Mother of Swords?
        Old Days! The wild geese are flighting,
        For where there are Irish there's loving and fighting,
            And when we stop either, it's Ireland no more!
Ireland no more!

Who were the two commanders at the 1801 battle of Alexandria, what was the prize and which commander was victorious?

The commanders were General Menou for the french and Sir Ralph Abercromby for the British. The British ultimately won and the prize was the territory around the ruins of Nicopolis.

Big Foot, that is a pretty good effort, and almost completely correct.  Sir Ralph Ambercrombie, Britain's best and most experienced general at the time, defeated French General Menou in a very bloody battle at Alexandria and captured Cairo. 

That's enough for me tonight, time to get my boots spit-shone for Remembrance Day.  Here's an appropriate one - who wrote "...lest we forget, lest we forget."?

I'm usually way, way too slow for this crowd, but since it's poetical and Kipling, to boot:

GOD OF OUR FATHERS

God of our fathers, known of old,
Lord of our far-flung battle-line,
Beneath whose awful Hand we hold
Dominion over palm and pine â ”
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget â ” lest we forget!

The tumult and the shouting dies;
The captains and the kings depart:
Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice,
An humble and a contrite heart.

Far-called, our navies melt away;
On dune and headland sinks the fire:
Lo, all our pomp of yesterday
Is one with Nineveh and Tyre!
Judge of the Nations, spare us yet,

If, drunk with sight of power, we loose
Wild tongues that have not Thee in awe,
Such boastings as the Gentiles use,
Or lesser breeds without the Law â ”

For heathen heart that puts her trust
In reeking tube and iron shard,
All valiant dust that builds on dust,
And guarding, calls not Thee to guard,
For frantic boast and foolish word â ”
Thy mercy on Thy People, Lord!

Rudyard Kipling
June 22, 1897

Edward, thanks very much.  I was hoping that there would be a copy of this appropriate work posted here today.

All the best for Remembrance Day everyone; a time to remember those who didn't come back, to thank those that did and thus honour them all.

Demerara called Pusser's Rum. On March 31, 1972, the Royal Canadian Navy held its Black Tot.

Wow, nothings been asked for a while, alritey here goes, what was the name of the three ships which transported  the 95th rifles to portugal in may 1809?

RiflemanPhil said:
Wow, nothings been asked for a while, alritey here goes, what was the name of the three ships which transported   the 95th rifles to portugal in may 1809?

OK...Here goes...

HMS Crocodile;
HMS Donegal; and
HMS Caesar.

PS...I cheated!!! See page 11 of this thread!!

Vern

Oh oh, a question repeated, I thought I had seen that one on here before. 

What is the name of the variation of the Churchill Mark VII tank that towed a trailer and what special weapon did this vehicle use?  What was the weapon that this device replaced that would be on the normal Mk VII?

redleafjumper said:
Oh oh, a question repeated, I thought I had seen that one on here before.  
I only remembered because it took me hours of searching to find the answers the first time it was asked!!
redleafjumper said:
What is the name of the variation of the Churchill Mark VII tank that towed a trailer and what special weapon did this vehicle use? What was the weapon that this device replaced that would be on the normal Mk VII?
"One of the more famous variants was the Crocodile, in which a flame projector replaced the machine gun on the right of the glacis to supplement the main gun and coaxial machine gun. It carried 400 gallons of fuel and nitrogen propellant for the flame projector in a towed, armored trailer. The fuel/nitrogen mix was fed into the tank via an articulated coupling at the rear between the tank and trailer. The Crocodile could fire about 80 one-second bursts of flame at a range of 90 to 120 yards."

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/article/ah20050715b

Back