• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Beat me to 'er.  Here's what I found.

Egypt Medal and Khedive's Star
Soldiers who fought in Egypt between 1882 and 1889, regardless of rank, were presented with the Egypt Medal and the Khedive's Star. The Egypt Medal is made from silver; the obverse (front) has Queen Victoria's head and the Latin inscription 'Victoria Regina et Imperatrix' [Victoria, Queen and Empress] and the reverse (back) has a Sphinx and the inscription 'Egypt.'

Found it here.

http://www.durham.gov.uk/recordoffice/usp.nsf/pws/Durham+Record+Office+-+The+Learning+Zone+-+The+Story+of+Jimmy+Durham+-+The+Finding+of+Jimmy+Durham+-+Egypt+Medal

Yes, that's the correct information on the Khedive's Bronze Star.

What is/was the polar medal awarded for?

Might it be this?

polar_medal_top.jpg

Presented by the reigning monarch, the polar medal was instituted in 1904 for members of Captain Scott's first expedition to the Antarctic. It was struck in both bronze and silver until 1939, when the award of the bronze medal was discontinued.

Initially a minimum period of service in the Antarctic of at least 12 months was required and emphasis was placed on service in support of the team effort in the harsh weather and dangerous conditions encountered, as well as on individual effort. The award was made on the recommendation of the Admiralty, or in the case of Commonwealth countries, by the appropriate Minister of State.

In 1954 the regulations governing the award of the medal were revised. It was made clear the medal was to be conferred on those who took an active part in an expedition which made notable advances in the exploration of the polar regions and underwent the hazards and rigours of the region, whether on land, sea, or in the air, and was only open to those serving an expedition organised or recognised by UK or Commonwealth governments, and that in extraordinary circumstances those supporting polar exploration, rather than directly taking part in it, could be given the medal.

Further Royal Warrants in 1970 and 1998 updated the conditions of award. Since 1998 the 'service in support of the acquisition of knowledge of Polar regions shall normally be at least ten years' such service in order to be considered for the medal' and a greater emphasis is now placed on individual service.

The 1998 revision of Regulations added to the geographical area in which service was required by including a number of islands, and for the first time made reference to the United Kingdom Polar Medal Assessment Committee, made up of distinguished individuals with a wide knowledge of polar affairs who are responsible for examining recommendations received for the award of the medal.

Information from: http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/News_and_Information/news_stories/2003/Polar_Medal/index.html

Well done Nfld_Sapper.  That is indeed the polar medal.

What was the largest ship in the Spanish Armada?

True or false?

The number of hooves lifted into the air on equestrian statues reveals how the riders died.

Bill Smy said:
True or false?

The number of hooves lifted into the air on equestrian statues reveals how the riders died.
So, I've got a 50/50 chance on this one (Schrödinger notwithstanding), so I'll say "yes".  Can't remember where I heard or saw that, but I believe that if all hooves are on the ground, that person died of natural causes, but if the horse's hooves (2 at least) are off, then they died in battle?

Bill Smy said:
True or false?

I'm gonna go with FALSE.

I found this site:
http://soccerdad.baltiblogs.com/archives/2006/08/21/gettysburg_military_monday_10.html

Which contained a link to this:
http://carlisle-www.army.mil/usamhi/bibliographies/ReferenceBibliographies/animals/Horses/equestrianstatues.doc

USAMHI Animals-Horses
RefBranch
js 1981

NOTE:    CODED MESSAGES IN EQUESTRIAN STATUES?

Any relationship between the number of raised hooves on a horse‑and‑rider statue and the rider's actual experience in battle is merely a coincidence, as reflected in equestrian statues at Gettysburg National Military Park, according to Ms. Kathy George, park historian.  Searches there and here have found no substantiation for any such coded messages.  For example, several booklets concerning dedication ceremonies for equestrian statues, such as the Slocum and Sedgwick statues at Gettysburg (see E467.1S59N5 &‑S4C7) contain nothing about the significance of the hooves.  For further example, note that the Gettysburg statue of Gen John F. Reynolds, who was killed at Gettysburg, differs from his Philadelphia statue.  See:

Reynolds Memorial Assoc.  Unveiling of the Statue of General John F. Reynolds, Philadelphia,
September 18, 1884.  n.p., n.d.  40 p.  E173P18no211pam22.
See frontispiece photo.

Stauffer, Wm H.  "Round Table Talk:  There's No General Rule About Position of Feet on Equestrian Statues."  Civil War Times II (Jul 1960):  p. 6.  Per.

redleafjumper said:
Well done Nfld_Sapper.  That is indeed the polar medal.

What was the largest ship in the Spanish Armada?

The 52 gun Galeon de Florencia ?

What was "Tiger Force"?

No, that's not the correct ship.  As a clue the largest ship in the Spanish Armada was an Italian vessel weighing at least 1,300 Tons.

Anyone know it yet?

Tiger Force was a reconnaissance platoon of the 1st Bn, 327th Infantry Regt, 1st Bde, 101st Airborne Div, which fought in the Vietnam War, between November 1965 and November 1967. The unit, consisting of one platoon of 45 infantrymen was formed by Major David H. Hackworth in November, 1965 to "outguerrilla the guerrillas," a platoon was known as a "recondo unit" because it was to carry out reconnaissance and commando functions. Tiger Force became one of the war's most highly decorated units, paying for its reputation with heavy casualties. In 1966, the unit was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation by President Lyndon B. Johnson for its operations in Vietnam.

The unit, has since been accused of committing various war crimes, including indiscriminate attacks, rape, mutilation, and torture. Some reports by former members of this unit state that the soldiers wore necklaces composed of human ears.

Found the answer at this interesting site:--

http://www.snopes.com/military/military.asp

:salute:

geo said:
Tiger Force was a reconnaissance platoon of the 1st Bn, 327th Infantry Regt, 1st Bde, 101st Airborne Div, which fought in the Vietnam War, between November 1965 and November 1967. The unit, consisting of one platoon of 45 infantrymen was formed by Major David H. Hackworth in November, 1965 to "outguerrilla the guerrillas," a platoon was known as a "recondo unit" because it was to carry out reconnaissance and commando functions. Tiger Force became one of the war's most highly decorated units, paying for its reputation with heavy casualties. In 1966, the unit was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation by President Lyndon B. Johnson for its operations in Vietnam.

The unit, has since been accused of committing various war crimes, including indiscriminate attacks, rape, mutilation, and torture. Some reports by former members of this unit state that the soldiers wore necklaces composed of human ears.

Thanks.  I didn't know that nor was I thinking beyond a Canadian context.  Perhaps I should have been more precise.  I was referring to the WWII RCAF bomser group that was programmed to go to the Pacific theatre after the war in Europe ended.

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/14wing/about_us/history7_e.asp

La Regazona

Although Candish, on the western coast of America, and Drake on the coast of Spain, had done King Philip great damage in the preceding year, yet -so vast and universal a preparation as the latter was making against England was not easily overthrown. For three years Philip had been employed in preparations, and at length had got together the fleet, called by the arrogant name of the "Invincible" Armada, on which the treasures of the Indian mines had for these three years been spent. In the six squadrons there were sixty-five large ships, the smallest of 700 tons, seven were over 1000 tons and La Regazona, an Italian, was of 1300. They were built high like castles, their upper decks musket-proof, their main timbers four aud five feet thick." Next the galleons were four galleases gigantic galleys, carrying fifty guns each, 450 soldiers and sailors, and rowed by 300 galley slaves.

From here:

http://www.welbank.net/hawkins/pah/chap4.html

Saw a show last week on the Spanish Armada and using computer models and tracking the weather they hypothesised that the Spanish actually were a victim of the gulf stream.  Their contention was that when the Spanish headed north around Scotland they unknowingly sailed directly into the Gulf Stream(North Atlantic Drift) and because they were using dead reckoning for navigation they were actually closer to the coast than they thought.  Thus, when they turned eastward for what they thought was home they ran directly into the coast of Ireland and Scotland and by the time they realized their mistake they were too close to sail away and were blown ashore.

Battlefield Britain did an excellent job of showing how the Armada met its watery end.  An outstanding series that shows up on History, or TLC or something every now and then.

Back