• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about PRes with operational experience going to the regs.

Lost_Warrior

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering if PRes members with operational experience (say Bosnia or Afghanistan) who wish to join the reg force, will they have to do BMQ and SQ over again?  It would seem a little silly for someone, say with combat experience from Afghanistan, having to re-do basic training and start from scratch in a situation where he may have more experience than the instructors training him.

Any info would be appreciated.

Usually they don't have to redo BMQ, SQ or BIQ if they have operational experience, but really it depends on what the board grants them.  I agree it would be silly and I don't think I've seen any soldiers that CTed with operational experience redo any of their DP 1 courses.  QL4s and JLCs on the other hand seem not to be granted for a variety of reasons.

DP1?
If you are not qualified DP1 of that trade you will be doing it no matter if you were stabbing people in the eyes in srpska.Sometimes coming from reserves(armoured)to reg(armoured) they also make you redo your DP1.The courses have changed.Prior a dp1 graduate(battle school)was qualified MLVW as a dvr and that was basically it.Which was comparable to a ql3 armd reserve(iltis).Now you leave dp1 with a coyote PCF (two to be implimented soon).Which is a bit differnt that g-wagon.I have seen the past two courses with direct entry guys armd to armd who had to redo their dp1 (I was windsor one was PEIR IIRC).Having said that I know many who still get direct entry,so basically its up to the wim of someone seeing how qualified you are.
MJP said:
  QL4s and JLCs on the other hand seem not to be granted for a variety of reasons.
QL4 (ie dvr pos) and JLC (PLQ) are army wide.If your qualified in the pres as a mlvw dvr it's still on your 404's.Also if your PLQ qualified your PLQ qualified.Now I know in the 80's when my wifes dad was Pres his militia PLQ didnt count.Now its a total force concept and it is the "same course".

Are you going armoured?

099* said:
Having said that I know many who still get direct entry,so basically its up to the wim of someone seeing how qualified you are.QL4 (ie dvr pos) and JLC (PLQ) are army wide.If your qualified in the pres as a mlvw dvr it's still on your 404's.Also if your PLQ qualified your PLQ qualified.Now I know in the 80's when my wifes dad was Pres his militia PLQ didnt count.Now its a total force concept and it is the "same course".

Notice the JLC/JNCO?....I know PLQ is a common course ;)  But IIRC reserve don't do the Mod 1 all the time so they have to get it upon entry.  Drivers/MG courses on the other hand while they may be army wide and what not are not always granted for whatever reason.  I've seen it and I've help a few soldiers redress the boards decisions after the fact so I know it happens.

Just to note, I do know of one guy who had a tour and had to do at least QL3 (old BIQ) and I'm pretty sure he was actually sent to QL2 as well (old BMQ) - he was a hammerhead, but he did show that it all matters on what the board gives you.  If you're a keen soldier with a good file, you should skip everything.

There's a screaming need for a better approach to CT these days.  The issue isn't so bad at the Pte level, but moreso as the rank level increases.  As many rightly point out, this is all done on a case by case basis.  Beyond the boards though, there's also the issue of what happens on arrival at the regiments.

2 issues:
1.  There's a hard rule that CT Res- Reg has a rank maximum of Cpl/ Capt.  So, I've seen res WO's CT and become simple section members.  While some regression in rank can be expected, that's crazy.
2.  Pers with op experience beyond the section member level do not typically get recognized.  I know of cases where a guy had deployed as a Sergeant in theatre, but on arrival at the unit was treated as a new Cpl (obviously not the same regiment that he had gone on tour with).  Again, some regression in rank is reasonable, but to what extent?

In both cases, we are shortchanging the experiences of our people, and we're already too short of qualified leaders to be pigeonholing like that.  Heck, the way things are going now, it's conceivable that a reservist could have substantially more operational experience than his reg F colleagues (I've had guys do 2 tours in 18 months, and one do 3 tours in 3.5 years) There's got to be a better way of taking advantage of the high level of experience that many res soldiers are now bringing to the table.

Echo9 said:
2.  Pers with op experience beyond the section member level do not typically get recognized.  I know of cases where a guy had deployed as a Sergeant in theatre, but on arrival at the unit was treated as a new Cpl (obviously not the same regiment that he had gone on tour with).  Again, some regression in rank is reasonable, but to what extent?

Did you follow up on this one at all?  I ask, as his unit may have placed him there on a trial basis, or until they had his complete Pers File and UER.  Perhaps, after a trial period, that member became 'Fast Tracked' and carried on?  I am sure many have seen examples of this, as well as examples of the Leadership on all levels 'droping the ball' - a sour point with me when I was updating UERs in my Troop and many had no entries for periods of up to three years, including my own file.  Section and Troop NCO's, as well as the officers,  have a responsibility to keep their Personnel's Files up to date.

Back