• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prospective student for RMC, worried about extra-curricular activities.

CorporalMajor said:
Some OCdts from other universities seem to have a grudge against RMC cadets for some reason.  I don't know for sure why, or agree/disagree.  Why is this?

Because we're better, and they're jealous, duh!  ;D

But in all seriousness it's because of an ill perceived notion that we're all a bunch of arrogant know-it-all hot heads ripe full of piss and vinegar. Without a doubt, there are RMC cadets who fit that description perfectly, but there are also civi-U and DEOs who fit that description as well. Problem for the ones from RMC is that we all wear the same cap badge, and so we all get thrown into the same barrel. At least that's my view of it.

Cheers

Lumber said:
Because we're better, and they're jealous, duh!  ;D

But in all seriousness it's because of an ill perceived notion that we're all a bunch of arrogant know-it-all hot heads ripe full of piss and vinegar. Without a doubt, there are RMC cadets who fit that description perfectly, but there are also civi-U and DEOs who fit that description as well. Problem for the ones from RMC is that we all wear the same cap badge, and so we all get thrown into the same barrel. At least that's my view of it.

Cheers
I've met a few ex cadets.... some who were exceptional people such as Matt Dawe that everyone loved, and some that struck me as very bitter/complacent and robot-like or your description as snotty know-it-alls.  It's a pretty bizarre contrast.

But then, you're right, some CivyU/DEO types aren't too different themselves. I'm freinds with some OCdts/Officers that basically pidgeonhole them the same way, which is pretty unfair.

CorporalMajor said:
All these questions about a candidate's suitability lead me to some of my own.

How does previous military experience come into play? Would they prefer:
A) an individual who has a solid military bearing (two years enlisted, a year's worth of paydays) and good level of fitness (30 pushups easily, 5K/30min), and genuinely wants the privelidge of leading, YET has mediocre college grades, relatively little community service/leadership experience and little grasp of French? (hint: Me.)

Or

B) someone who is totally new to the CF way of life, unsure of what he can expect, with outstanding academic potential, speaks both languages and taught minor league hockey at one point?

To add to the above. Do they want an individual who they can build up anew, from nothing, to mold their own way; OR someone with previous experience like myself who can bring his own ideas and initiative to the table?

Some OCdts from other universities seem to have a grudge against RMC cadets for some reason.  I don't know for sure why, or agree/disagree.  Why is this?

That's not really what I'd call a good level of fitness, at rmc the minimum pushups is 28 and 30 minutes for 5 k is pretty slow. But military experience sure has a big influence, I didn't have that great grades but I did have outstanding courses reports and great recommendations from my unit.

Back