• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Promotion & education problem

Legend said:
Well said, but you find me a criminology scholar in the lines as an NCM. You do not spend 50,000 dollars on a bachelor of arts Degree to not give MPO a shot. Finish your degree, then tell me your willing to do the same job as a 2 year college bird course grad. But if that is the attitude and respect you will provide to your future troops, hands down, good on you. 

Do you know what you mean by your statements? Is your distinction between an NCM and an Officer is that one pushes paperwork all day while the other gets the hands on experience?

The Top. It is self explanatory.

Last time I checked my tuition was $5000 a year...a simple bachelor's degree in most all cases is a 3 year program [honours is 4 years], which takes your $50000 evaluation down quite a notch [$50000-$15000 =$35000 saved]. You can argue that you were including all costs [transportation, food, leisure etc.] but trust me, if you're spending 35000 in 3 years on those things then you're doing it real wrong [in my opinion...some people obviously are not good with their budgeting]. Also, think of grants/bursaries/scholarships many people receive that would cut the cost of uni down.

Regardless, I know a bunch of people in college who are more "scholarly" in terms of work ethic than some of my other friends in university...and from my personal experience in an arts program, you almost have to try in order to fail a class. Now I don't mean to knock university or anything like that, but in my experience if you do the work you shouldn't fail ever, which kind of knocks the degree off the pedastal you placed it on.

I also know the worth of a Police Foundations diploma, and yeah it is not much compared to most degrees [did a coop at a police station and they told me all about the recruiting process and the worth of this diploma, as it was what I wanted to pursue at the time], but that doesn't mean it is a bird course. You should look at the reasons behind why people are choosing that route, instead of instantly judging them because of their decision to pursue what could be one of their goals in life/the only education they have the means for.

Legend said:
I also realise there are leaders and there are followers. Some choose to remain in the grey area while others like to be the center of attention.

Wow, we have a bunch of NCO's who like to remain in the grey areas.... Who'd thunk it.

As an MP NCM with a Bachelor's Degree and college diploma in Police Foundations, I can tell you that Police Foundations is a joke compared to getting a degree.  I had to study very hard to get my degree and I breezed through college exams without even studying half the time. 

That being said you don't have to be a rocket scientist to get a degree.  If the person is somewhat motivated and moderately dedicated to their education they will squeak by.  Whether your average is 60 or 90, you still get that piece of paper.

Back