• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Posting anywhere in canada......how true is this?

Gunner98 said:
DrSize - when the bases in your world are located closer to cities - where would you put the ranges - downtown.   People in cities complain about the noise from parties or trains - imagine what they would think of Regimental 3 rounds fire for effect or a battle run in their backyard.

kinda like the rsidents of noth Edmonton enduring explosions, gun fire, hellicopters and tanks durring URBAN RAM in 2001  ;D

I am hoping for a posting to Gagetown if I can not get closer to Halifax.
We own a house and with hubby being in the navy, Gagetown would be
the closest for me to get back home on weekends and such.

Petawawa isn't all that bad, either
My bestest friend in the world is posted there with the RCD's and she loves it.

Shilo, according to my sister, is a hole. I personally don't know, so I can't really comment on it.

I think it would help recruit much better candidates if they had bases closer to cities.  I know alot of guys that would have loved a career in the CF but choice other paths simply because they would never want to be posted to Shilo, Petewawa, or Gagetown....and I do not blame them one bit!!!  I am not saying the bases should be in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal but at least have them in decent cities like they use too (London, Winnipeg etc).  This way young single soldiers can enjoy their time off and take in a professional sports game, goto a happening bar, meet a potential quality girlfriend.  Older soldiers with families would have alot more family activities to take in on time off, they could actually buy a house and expect a decent return on it, the spouse could actually work at a job that ties in her education and experience.

I think this is huge disadvantage for recruiting and retaining for the CF.  No one wants to goto buttfuck Shilo or Petewawa or Gagetown.

I don't really care where I'm posted, and I certainly won't turn down what could be a possible rewarding potential career simply because I won't be sent out to Petawa or Shilo. As well I'm sure that their are bars or places were I could entertain myself in smaller centers.

Personally I would like to be posted to Petawawa. I like the small town atmosphere and would like to stay in Ontario. Cost of living is considerably cheeper to compared to Edmonton at least.

Kyle.

Yeah, I really dont care where Im posted, Im already married and Im pretty sure we'll be happy as clams
anywhere they choose to send us.

cheers!

Some good points brought up here. I understand the bases need to be at least somewhat distanced from cities because of what goes on in them, but too isolated does not seem good at all. As mentioned most soldiers are single and need to meet other people, live it up a bit outside the base, etc. It seems most CF bases are just too far away from anything. Some though, like Comox, are at least in a fairly sized town and there's some great stuff (i.e. beach) out there on Vancouver Island if you travel a bit further. Or maybe I'm just BC-biased :)

ChopperHead said:
Personally I would like to be posted to Petawawa. I like the small town atmosphere and would like to stay in Ontario. Cost of living is considerably cheeper to compared to Edmonton at least.

Until you factor in the PST and provincial taxes that is. Then you could consider that a house purchased in Edmonton will appreciate significantly over both the short and long term, while one in Pet will remain stagnant. Then your spouse could find a decent job in the booming Alberta market, instead of working part time at Canex.... or you could be posted to Pet. For these and other reasons, Edmonton was my choice.

You will also notice a large number of RCRs re-badging to come west for the opportunities afforded them and their families. But to each his own I guess....

Springroll said:
Petawawa isn't all that bad, either
My bestest friend in the world is posted there with the RCD's and she loves it.

Does her last name start with an M and end with a Y?

GO!!! said:
Then you could consider that a house purchased in Edmonton will appreciate significantly over both the short and long term, while one in Pet will remain stagnant.

The house market exploded in the recent years here in Pet from what I was told. People who bought their house couple a years ago for 85k now get it appraised at 140k. And the prices are still going up due to Pet growing.

GO!!! said:
Until you factor in the PST and provincial taxes that is. Then you could consider that a house purchased in Edmonton will appreciate significantly over both the short and long term, while one in Pet will remain stagnant. Then your spouse could find a decent job in the booming Alberta market, instead of working part time at Canex.... or you could be posted to Pet. For these and other reasons, Edmonton was my choice.

You will also notice a large number of RCRs re-badging to come west for the opportunities afforded them and their families. But to each his own I guess....

I am on crse in Edmonton now, (from Petawawa) and it still never ceases to amaze me how expensive everything in Alberta is these days.   For a province with no Sales Tax, only GST, things are not in anyway any cheaper than in the East.

Can anyone tell me why a Tim Horton's Large Double Double costs me $1.40 in Edmonton, but only $1.35 in Pet?   PST and GST in Ontario and a Timmies is still cheaper.   I noticed the same thing in Gagetown last summer with the "Harmonized Sales Tax".   How come a Timmies in a "Have Not Province" costs more?

PS.  I am selling my house in Pet at a tidy profit, could have got more I am sure, but sold it quick to a fellow who wants to live close to family.  The housing market in Pet is not any more stagnant than anywhere else that has a large military community, in fact it is a sellers market.

George, the Tim Hortons coffee prices were supposed to have gone up across the board. One shiny nickel on every addiction liquid. Apparantely someone forgot to tell Ontario.  ;D

Back