• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pope considering changes in Vatican condom stance

callsign said:
I love how the Catholic Church loves to ignore the realities of human nature, but then again, most of these religions do anyway.

Maybe you didn't read the post directly above yours? Here it is again for you:

recceguy said:
:argument:

Everyone better get back on track, with reasonable and topical discussion. Leave your biases at the door. This is not a discussion for, or against, organised religion. Get off your soapboxes and put your prejudices in your pocket. It won't take much to lock a thread that people can't even read properly, and draw a civilized conclusion from, before they post some sort of inflammatory tangent.

Milnet.ca Staff

And this thread, so far, ladies and gentlemen, is why religion is on the no-no list of topics to discuss at mess diners.

Oldboatgatedriver:
This one covers all three: sex, politics AND religion!  ;D

If I recall correctly, I was taught at school (ontario catholic school system) that condoms are okay as long as you prick it with a pin to allow sperm to permeate and have a chance at fertilization.

Here's where 'my interpretationof what was said' comes into play. They don't specifically tell you WHERE the holes have to be pricked, or how many  >:D

In all seriousness, I do hope that they abandon that school of thought this go 'round with the condom debate.

And I have to admit, Technoviking does have a good point about being more responsible. The most responsible sex of all doesn't even need a condom. A monogamous relationship is pretty much your best way of staying HIV free. You don't even NEED to be religious to know that.

Fair enough.
When missionaries travel to Africa, Haiti, Kentucky and preach the word of God, should they teach that condoms are good to prevent the spread of AIDs?

Or should they be taught that condoms are frowned on because the primary reason for sex is to create life in Gods image- not to mention it promoted premarital sex, infidelity, irresponsible sexual practices.

TV you make a great argument and manage to put religion into a not scary context.

I can't help but thinking where the reasonable argument would lead.

See we're not about judging, we love everyone. Peace and love. We have to stop the hating.
And while your at it, why not come down one Sunday and see what we're all about, you can sit in the back no one will know you're there.
You know, you might just wanna consider accepting our savior Jesus Christ into your heart. You ARE a sinner after all, but he can save you.

I totally agree TV, everyone needs to be more responsible.  The church attempts to fix the problem by imploring us to be more responsible and telling us why condoms are wrong both in the logical context you mention and in the "god hate's em" one too. It makes sense why they would take that road, I just don't know how practical it is in 2010.

Because of the Churchs reputation and past and present (abuse and coverups)  it's hard for us to swallow their advice.

Back