• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Poor Vision for Chaplain in Reserves

chaplainLD

Inactive
Reaction score
After obtaining endorsement from a Lt. Col, in the Army Reserves to come on board as a Chaplain, I went ahead and took my medical. All was fine, except my poor vision. I received a letter from Recruiting Medical Office stating that because of my poor vision "requiring the use of lenses that are stronger than those allowed for recruits," that I do not meet "the common medical standard...." The letter concludes "Please contact your Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre for the final decision concerning your application." In other words, I see fine with my glasses on, but too poorly with them off.

At present, I am still waiting for my local Recruiting Centre to receive from file from Ottawa. But many of my contacts in the CF reserves do not know if this standard really applies also to Chaplain Reservists.

If it does, what do people think about Laser surgery? Is it worth the risk??

Anyone?

Yes. I have been told by those who've done it that it is a good idea. Impacts your night vision though, apparently.

Regardless, the army needs a few good padres!

But many of my contacts in the CF reserves do not know if this standard really applies also to Chaplain Reservists.

Well it does and it should.  If you don't meet the vision standards now than you are worse than V4 which is the lowest acceptable vision standard.  Good Luck.

kincanucks said:
But many of my contacts in the CF reserves do not know if this standard really applies also to Chaplain Reservists.

Well it does and it should.  If you don't meet the vision standards now than you are worse than V4 which is the lowest acceptable vision standard.  Good Luck.

Regardless of existing standards, can you personally elaborate why or how a Chaplains poor vision could impede or affect his Duties and of Administering Comfort to the Sick the Wounded or the Dying or the Troubled of Spirit or Mind.

It almost seems, that today to qualify to have your limbs blown off or Dying for your County you must have a College Degree and be a Olympian Adonis.

How many applicants  have been turned away over the years for being just under the wire, but would be perfectly functional in a Selective or Specific Trade.

My husband is in the CF and he got it about a year ago. In his  view he say's its the best thing he ever did. I would suggest going to a Lasik MD if you have one near you. They have great payment plans and they were wonderful during the process. We pay 130$ a month for two years to cover the cost. If you want to speak to him about his experience send me a PM and I will pass him your email.

FastEddy said:

Regardless of existing standards, can you personally elaborate why or how a Chaplains poor vision could impede or affect his Duties and of Administering Comfort to the Sick the Wounded or the Dying or the Troubled of Spirit or Mind.

It almost seems, that today to qualify to have your limbs blown off or Dying for your County you must have a College Degree and be a Olympian Adonis.

How many applicants  have been turned away over the years for being just under the wire, but would be perfectly functional in a Selective or Specific Trade.

I don't know but why don't you ask the branch that sets the standards for their occupation? And a Chaplin can't administer freak all if they can't see where the sick and wounded are and perhaps we should lower the standards so that seeing eye dogs and people in wheelchairs are perfectly acceptable.  Then perhaps the MP branch can buy wheelchair accessible patrol vehicles and the drug dogs can have a secondary duty.

HH and DA

FastEddy said:

Standards exist so that you may meet the minimum requirment to SOLDIER.  A chaplain is still a soldier, when he goes overseas he still wears a helmet and body armour and carries a gun, and he has to be able to employ that weapon.  If he is unable to do so, he becomes a liability.  It can't be explained any clearer than that.

RCR Grunt said:
Standars exist so that you may meet the minimum requirment to SOLDIER.  A chaplain is still a soldier, when he goes overseas he still wears a helmet and body armour and carries a gun, and he has to be able to employ that weapon.  If he is unable to do so, he becomes a liability.  It can't be explained any clearer than that.

Oh really!?  Are you sure about the highlighted parts???!!!  :-X

I was worried about that part, but could not recall whether ours carried or not ... either way if they cant see the danger they are not employable.

Generally speaking, in the CF are you not a soldier first a (your trade here) second? I am very new to it all but that's my understanding, please correct if I am wrong.

As I personaly know a Padre that has returned from KAF in the last week, I am confident in stating that yes they do wear PPE but do not wear a side arm or C-7.

RN PRN said:
As I personaly know a Padre that has returned from KAF in the last week, I am confident in stating that yes they do wear PPE but do not wear a side arm or C-7.

This has been resolved and moved to PM's.

kincanucks said:
I don't know but why don't you ask the branch that sets the standards for their occupation? And a Chaplin can't administer freak all if they can't see where the sick and wounded are and perhaps we should lower the standards so that seeing eye dogs and people in wheelchairs are perfectly acceptable.  Then perhaps the MP branch can buy wheelchair accessible patrol vehicles and the drug dogs can have a secondary duty.

HH and DA

The above reply is what I should have expected from you .( you either won't, can't, shouldn't or suggest, look it up yourself).

Your extreme and ridiculous examples on this subject, clearly indicates you have reached a new high.

I'm quite sure that any member of the Cloth, would never suggest his enrolment in the CAF's, if he felt that any personal physical impairment would restrict him in the performance of his Duties. In this case, you suggest Blindness.

As for your reference and snide remarks concerning the MP Branch, they are only reflective of where they come from.

In closing, I might mention, your Colleagues at the Montreal CFRC, must be thrilled of your opinion of them.

Ease up all or have it locked and binned.

In closing, I might mention, your Colleagues at the Montreal CFRC, must be thrilled of your opinion of them.

Really?  Well since I don't work at CFRC Montreal or in recruiting it doesn't matter what my "colleagues" think does it?

And why should I look something up when I know the answer.  As for reaching a new high I am not there yet.  Move along now there is nothing to see here.

chaplainLD said:
After obtaining endorsement from a Lt. Col, in the Army Reserves to come on board as a Chaplain, I went ahead and took my medical. All was fine, except my poor vision. I received a letter from Recruiting Medical Office stating that because of my poor vision "requiring the use of lenses that are stronger than those allowed for recruits," that I do not meet "the common medical standard...." The letter concludes "Please contact your Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre for the final decision concerning your application." In other words, I see fine with my glasses on, but too poorly with them off.

At present, I am still waiting for my local Recruiting Centre to receive from file from Ottawa. But many of my contacts in the CF reserves do not know if this standard really applies also to Chaplain Reservists.

If it does, what do people think about Laser surgery? Is it worth the risk??

Anyone?

Lasik is worth the risk, but be aware it will delay your enrollment by six months. A colleague enlisted in the Reserves as a chaplain and Lasik delayed his process for six months.

DND Recruiting is being especially clear in insisting that chaplains meet the common medical standard. I know of several very qualified applicants for the Chaplain's Branch who passed Selection Board but did not meet the medical requirements. I am one of those. Waivers are possible, but the grounds are limited. I suggest you contact the Chaplain General's office directly as they may be able to clarify process with Recruiting.

RCR Grunt said:
Standards exist so that you may meet the minimum requirment to SOLDIER.  A chaplain is still a soldier, when he goes overseas he still wears a helmet and body armour and carries a gun, and he has to be able to employ that weapon.  If he is unable to do so, he becomes a liability.  It can't be explained any clearer than that.

You are quite right that a chaplain wears a helmet and body armour, but they are forbidden to carry a weapon of any kind. In that way, you are quite right. They are a liability in a operational setting. However, chaplains are prepared to take the risks and the soldiers they serve are prepared to protect them, I am told.

Emenince Grise said:
Lasik is worth the risk, but be aware it will delay your enrollment by six months... I suggest you contact the Chaplain General's office directly as they may be able to clarify process with Recruiting.
Thank you for your advise.

What's somewhat surprising, to me anyhow (but perhaps it's part of basic training  ;D) is the lack of clarity in the information, and the way it flows to the applicant.

CFRC wasn't aware, initially, of the response I had received from the Medical Office in Ottawa. The CFRC officer told me to wait until my file returned from Ottawa, and then to speak with the medical technician who did my medical testing. (BTW: that same officer told me that the waiting time after Lasik surgery was 3 months -- not 6.) Today, I did so. But he told me that I would have to speak with the CFRC officer to find out if a waiver was possible.

I would have thought that the evaluation from the Medical Office would go to the CFRC (not to me), who would then compose their own letter letter to me, informing me of: the medical test results; b) the implications, c) and my options. As of today, I have yet to receive any official word (certainly not in terms of a letter) from CFRC.

Outstanding questions:
1. Is a waiver a  possibitly? (I will inquire, as advised) (Consider, while I took a medical test, absolutely no physical fitness test was required.)
2. How long, exactly, is the waiting time after the operation?
3. After the waiting time is over, what steps do I have take (forms to fill, etc) to get the disqualification rescinded?

The fitness test is done at the beginning of BMQ these days, no biggy.

Back