• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Poll: Pay to go to cadets or not

Do you think we should pay to go to cadets?

• Yes.

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • No.

Votes: 74 79.6%
  • It depends on the amount of money we have to pay.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I don't care

Votes: 6 6.5%

• Total voters
One of the major reason's my unit is the size it is is because it doesn't cost anything for anything that we do. Hate to break your bubble but that air cadet unit is breaking regs if they require cadets to pay to join their sqn. Also, what about all those cadets who can't afford $50? Are we to exclude them because of it?

I don't know if we would exclude them because we've never had anyone who could not afford it. It is an extra activity that I don't mind paying for. Usually that is the only thing that we have to pay for.

Are you so blinded that you can't see outside of your own unit? So what if every one of your cadets can pay extra $$$ so that they can go do something. The point is that not everyone can! I know that's a big culture shock but it's true! How are you going to explain to a 12 year old that they can't go to something they really want to do because they can't pay? Also if we start requiring cadets to even pay for extra activies where does it stop? Does that mean each cadet would have to pay for each pellet they fire from the daisey's? Would us air types have to start paying for famil flights? Would the sea types have to start paying for there sailing? Would all of us have to start paying for summer camps? See where I'm going here, once you start down that path to make cadets a paying orgainization, where will it end? We're a free organization, and a damn good one, let's keep it that way!

Edit: If you feel like getting really technical, we, or our parents, already pay through the taxes paid to the government...

I say no to Cadets having to pay.

All this about paying for cadets I find rather non-productive in many ways. What about the less fortunate kids out there who's parents are already overtaxed with their low paying jobs and large families, etc. Or the parents who indeed are unemployed or on pensions etc. Some people can't work, so don't go preaching 'go get a job'.

Monies raised privatly means at the end of the day, less from the government anyways, so its like a dog chasing its tail. Monies raised by Corps canteen sales, and other fund raisers, means the Corps must work for their spare Corps dollars, and hence it means more, and is looked at differently, i.e. -its been earned therefore spent wisely.

So, as far as I am concerned, its one in - all in. Every one is an equal, no exceptions, as we all come from different walks of life. No matter if you are the child of an executive or a janitor, treatment and privillage in cadets should be universal.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,

Wes

One of the things that makes the CCM unique is the fact that is does not coast anything and you can, if you work hard enough, acheive and learn more than you would have ever thought.  My Sqn. has two "tag days" a year which is a manadtory event for Sqn. pers.  If you don't have a very good reason for NOT attending these events, you don't get to do the really cool stuff that the unit does outside of LHQ training.  trips out of area, additional Field Training Ex's not covered by Det. etc. 

I don't believe a Corps or Sqn. has to; or should charge extra money.  We are lucky enough to be funded by the Gov. of Can. through DND. To make up for anything additional we usually have a unit community sponsor like a Legion or Kiwanas club.  If you still require more you have to work for it.  Units that charge money (i am not even sure they are allowed to) in my own opinion, are just lazy.

regards,

PV

I was in cadets with the  704 Trenton sqd for 3 years  witch seems like a life time ago now that Iam 28  . I hope that Cadets will never be charged to attend. This gives allot of kids who come from low income families a chance to do something constructive with there lives .

Condor, I know what you are saying.  Looking over my previous post I do think that I was being rather blind.  I know that there are kids that don't have a lot of money. I think one of the things that convinced my parents to let me join was that it cost no money to join. When I did post that I was thinking about my area which is quite well off.

The CCM is fine the way it is. 

I think that additional funding not provided by RCSU or sponsors should be made up through fundraising and other such activities. Charging cadets to join is inappropriate and virtually defeats the purpose of the CCM. I agree that not everyone can afford to pay, and I agree with everyone who is against paying.
It seems as if corps are getting less funding every year though, and that is where the problem is arising (in the North anyways). For example, our corps does 1 or 2 FTXs a year (excluding introductory weekend for 1st years) simply because we don't have the funding to do more. It costs us a small fortune to have parade every Thursday, to the point where we had to cancel the cadets bus (which some less fortunate cadets depended on). The real problem with fundraising comes in when the CO is strictly against it. Apparently there is no need to fundraise because we already have enough money to do everything that we need to do. I find it extremely hard to believe when the Trg O always talks about great ideas that would be inexpensive IF we fundraised. For example, we were going to do a map and compass ex for the seniors (an overnighter), but the CO wouldn't allocate hot dog money.

When we have seniors meetings to discuss things we can do in the corps, several of us always say that we could do some fundraising; it gets us out in the public eye, and it supports the corps that we love and enjoy so much.

One other thing that can help increase funds (though it isn't the inital intent) is community service. There have been times when the corps has done community service events and been given a donation at a later date. While it isn't the intent of community service to make cash, it can certainly help at times.

Thats all I've got to say.

Manuge

Trebuchet said:
It costs us a small fortune to have parade every Thursday, to the point where we had to cancel the cadets bus (which some less fortunate cadets depended on).
Why does it cost money to parade? Also, you were lucky to have cadet bus, my corps never had one. It's probably because of our location (downtown) and the number of cadets in our corps (over 200).

our corp parades at 2 differnt schools 3 times a week and the rent is not cheap. we parade at Fort York every 2nd wedensday for the CO's parade

our corp parades at 2 differnt schools 3 times a week and the rent is not cheap. we parade at Fort York every 2nd wedensday for the CO's parade

wow. 

PV

Our corp parades in the basement of a community center, and I'm pretty sure we get a real good deal on the rent. Ferret_Driver would know.

We parade (train) once a week in a regular unit's parade building. Not sure if we have to pay the rent since our corps has the same name with that unit.

-Hutch- said:

opps let me fix that i really messed it up.

we parade at 2 different schools 3 times a month and we paradde at fort york every 2nd wedensday of the month.  we also have things going on at the fort every wedensday i.e rifle team, SAR, admin and so on.

3 times a week wow that would be a lot

well personally i don't think that we should have to pay to go to cadets because you are just learning lessons, lessons in just about every thing and i dint see why you should have to pay for learning about skills and lessons.

i don't know about whythe British kids have to pay for their programs but i did hear at camp one time that  they do do allot of interesting things that most of the Canadian cadets would have never imagined .they actually play WAR games the fun way

mcpl_spunky said:
i don't know about whythe British kids have to pay for their programs but i did hear at camp one time that   they do do allot of interesting things that most of the Canadian cadets would have never imagined .they actually play WAR games the fun way
Exactly!! Would you rather pay a LITTLE amount of money and get a LOT of fun or pay NO money and have NO fun?

Back