• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
A man who lost his son, daughter-in-law and two grandchildren to a drunk driver says he was disappointed to learn that the woman sentenced to 10 years in prison for their deaths was moved to a minimum-security “healing lodge” just one month after her sentencing.

Do you think Mr. Lou Van de Vorst will get a personal interview with the PM with all the accompanied photos to be used in selected markets in the next election? Let alone meet with other Ministers of the Crown.

Second photo ref: https://www.facebook.com/colten.boushie

Attachments

• Meeting.JPG
    Meeting.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 328
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 301
Rifleman62 said:
Do you think Mr. Lou Van de Vorst will get a personal interview with the PM with all the accompanied photos to be used in selected markets in the next election? Let alone meet with other Ministers of the Crown.

And old male white settler? Surely you jest.

There is so much wrong being said by both sides about the Gerald Stanley trial

There is so much wrong being said about the death of Colten Boushie and the trial of Gerald Stanley, it’s hard to know where to begin.

First off, let me start by saying I covered the North Battleford Provincial Court and Battleford Court of Queen’s Bench from 2004-2008 for the Battlefords News-Optimist, averaging one to three days in any given week. The only people who spent more time in those courts were the court staff, RCMP, security, judges and lawyers.

More on link provided:
http://www.newsoptimist.ca/opinion/columnists/there-is-so-much-wrong-being-said-by-both-sides-about-the-gerald-stanley-trial-1.23171591

A very nicely put together article. A copy should be sent to the PM and his ministers - top of the reading pile.

Thanks for digging and sharing that, Halifax Tar.

Gerald Stanley still faces two counts of firearms offences which carry a maximum of two years jail.

I wonder when the PM or justice minister  will suggest he's guilty and suggest he get the maximum sentence.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
A very nicely put together article. A copy should be sent to the PM and his ministers - top of the reading pile.

I doubt it would make a difference and sadly the horse is out of the barn anyhow.

In perspective:  Colten Boushie was, I believe, out on parole for previous offences including violation of parole.  Perhaps when examining the laws in this case people should consider the lax system that failed to protect Stanley by incarcerating Boushie when it was evident that he had no intention of correcting his behaviour.  Indeed, I suspect that he was in violation of his existing parole conditions on the day he died by a) being in possession of a firearm and b) consumption of alcohol.  Or perhaps if his tribe had insisted that the court mandated conditions be met he wouldn't have been out cruising with his friends looking for a vehicle to steal.

Trudeau is announcing changes to the legal framework "to protect Indigenous rights" for First nations and Indigenous people in the commons today.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-to-announce-legal-framework-to-protect-indigenous-rights-1.3803111

Apparently this was already planned, no reason to doubt that, right? "Government sources said the announcement was planned ahead of the Boushie family’s arrival in Ottawa."

Cheers

whiskey601 said:
Trudeau is announcing changes to the legal framework "to protect Indigenous rights" for First nations and Indigenous people in the commons today.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-to-announce-legal-framework-to-protect-indigenous-rights-1.3803111

Apparently this was already planned, no reason to doubt that, right? "Government sources said the announcement was planned ahead of the Boushie family’s arrival in Ottawa."

Cheers

I have no doubt that it was planned or being planned but tis latest incident probably put their feet to the fire.

I have no doubt that it was planned or being planned but tis latest incident probably put their feet to the fire.

Just like the VAC return to lifetime pensions that was one of the items in the LPC election platform 2+ years ago and the new VAC benefits projected in 2 years. The Liberals sure move fast on their priorities as long as they sense a benefit.

It doesn't sound to me to be about "fair" treatment before criminal courts. It seems to have to do with a framework for recognition and enforcement of the constitutionally protected "indigenous" rights. Those have usually to do with the fiduciary obligations of the Crown, the recognition of the right to be consulted, and hunting/fishing rights, etc.

The mention in the article that the First Nations and/or their members often have to resort to the courts to have them enforced would indicate that this is the nature of what will be discussed here. And, yes, if that is what it is, then the Liberals had announced they were working in that direction a long time ago. So no surprise, just a weird timing issue.

On the other hand, to me it's another slap in the face of Parliament and respect for the elected officials - but on that one most recent governments have been equally deficient - with this damn way of announcing at the last minute that you will introduce something before the Commons without proper notice, so that the non-government members are deprived of any reasonable time to prepare and research the potential problems and counter points to the government's position, the government itself having been preparing its arguments and "research" with a long lead time. 

They shouldn't have to go to court every time to have their treaty rights and subsequent contractual rights enforced. The  Crown is usually the respondent in the majority of these types claims, they really must "have to do better."  And as far as I'm concerned, it really is a "they", I don't appreciate a bunch of government lawyers, bureaucrats and politicians making broad statements about white guilt when most Canadians have repeatedly told, suggested, protested, written and spoken to the very same government to start doing the right thing. For decades now this has been the case, so yes get moving on those matters.
But if this idiotic government starts to change or interfere with fundamental legal rights by  creating an apartheid criminal prosecution system with built in legal privileges that excuses or amplifies conduct of one over the other in race, ancestry, spirit, creed or religion, gender (or binary) then no, I do not support that at all, and I do not think either the Constitution or the Charter creates any Federal power to do so unilaterally.  The provinces have responsibility for the administration of Justice. The only one that will step up, maybe, is Quebec.

Rifleman62 said:
Just like the VAC return to lifetime pensions that was one of the items in the LPC election platform 2+ years ago and the new VAC benefits projected in 2 years. The Liberals sure move fast on their priorities as long as they sense a benefit.

They realize they're loosing CAF votes so doubling down on FN votes.

I'm still blown away by the PM talking about this case like he is.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/it-could-have-been-me-some-farmers-support-murder-acquittal-of-gerald-stanley

'It could have been me': Some farmers say they are easy targets, donate to Gerald Stanley fund

'We have a problem here. It's not a race problem. It's a criminal problem'

"Mark Pashovitz believes he and other Saskatchewan farmers are easy targets.

"They live in rural, isolated areas where it often takes police longer to respond to crimes. And their farm vehicles and equipment are tempting for thieves.

"That’s why he said he recently donated $1,000 to an online fundraiser to help pay the legal bills of Gerald Stanley, a white farmer acquitted last week of murder in the 2016 shooting death of a 22-year-old Cree man."

The GoFundMe page for Stanley, set up last Friday - the same day a jury found him not guilty of second-degree murder - had raised over $101,000 by Monday afternoon. Many donors were listed as anonymous, and some signed as “concerned landowner,” “previous victim,” and “one less thief”."

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/john-robson-stoking-fiery-division-over-the-boushie-verdict-doesnt-show-you-care

Boushie verdict doesn't show you care

It is difficult to see a path toward reconciliation with so many, including Trudeau, reinforcing the impression among some Aboriginals that the courts are a bigoted scam

"If Stanley truly believes what happened was an accident, there must be at least some compassion for a man who will live the rest of his days with the knowledge that he took a human life under frightening and fast-moving circumstances. Also, possibly, living in the fear of facing vigilante justice, with so many whipping up hatred and hysteria by claiming this white guy right here, in this photo, basically got away with racist murder and we all know where he farms.

"Rampant crime and ineffective policing are a huge issue in the rural parts of Western Canada. And it cannot seriously be argued that citizens everywhere would only object to repeated thefts and burglaries if the perpetrators were exclusively white. Disagreement over the verdict is one thing, but to suggest that Saskatchewan in 2018 is Mississippi burning is a reckless calumny."

Jarnhamar said:
They realize they're loosing CAF votes so doubling down on FN votes.

I'm still blown away by the PM talking about this case like he is.

To be honest I doubt it very much.  the CAF is not really an effective voting block.  Like all of Canadian society many people vote for various reasons.  Plus spread out and some voting in different ridings they aren't all that much of a concern to the Liberals any more than they were a concern to the CPC.  Even when you add family that might be voting in a different riding than their CAF family member.

it is more likely that the FN vote is more important, especially since they voted in higher numbers last election.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-indigenous-turnout-1.3365926

It seems not everything in the Patrick Brown saga is as initially reported:

CTV News

Of course that's not the headline...

I doubt he is squeaky clean, (who is?) but it sounds like the stories morph to fit the blow back (no pun intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back