• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PMJT: The First 100 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eye In The Sky said:
Altair,

I think you see my point, I found you trying to make fact out of opinion WHT the opinion you have that basically says "wrong place, wrong time, too bad for them" and using that to explain away our PM response, which is being looked at critically by many  as uncaring and in bad taste.

Those 6 Canadians weren't unlucky, they were victims.  How many more have to die before " it matters" to you and the party you blindly support?

Think on that some.
One. One person has to die. Heck, injured even.

It just matters where. Burkina Faso, again, does not pass my personal care test. Again, I'll ask, even though you avoid the question like the plague.

If this attack had no Canadians involved in it, would you care? I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Just more senseless violence in Africa would be your probable response.

As for if these 6 people were targeted for being Canadian,  it appears they were targeted for being white and western, but Canadian?  AQIM is trying to send canada a message? Seriously? I'm sure they didn't care if they were Canadian or Finnish. I'm positive the attack would have gone forward even if the canadians weren't there.

So you just try and think of why this is so important other than the fact 6 Canadians were there. And why 6 Canadians matter more than everyone who dies in foreign lands to terrorists acts.

Till you can answer that (I answered your question) am afraid we will just be talking in circles

Altair said:
One. One person has to die. Heck, injured even.

That makes me feel better.

It just matters where. Burkina Faso, again, does not pass my personal care test. Again, I'll ask, even though you avoid the question like the plague.

If this attack had no Canadians involved in it, would you care? I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Just more senseless violence in Africa would be your probable response.

The answer, I think, you are looking for is would I care if no Canadians had died.

Simple answer is yes.  I do care myself.  I wish more people DID care about things that don't touch their own small lives directly;  I am sure the world would be a much gentler place.

Do I care MORE because there were Canadian casualties?  I most certainly do.  How could I not?  I am born and breed Canadian, and have served Canada in uniform for almost 27 years.  I would be concerned if someone like me didn't care MORE for his own country men and women, but perhaps I am a little old school compared to people who haven't been alive as long as I have been "in the service".

Comparison;  if there is a car accident back home and 3 people die, but I didn't know them it is tragic and sad and while I feel for the family it would be far worse for me personally if that same thing happened and it was my parents or close friends.  I don't think that makes me or others cold and uncaring, just human.

As for if these 6 people were targeted for being Canadian,  it appears they were targeted for being white and western, but Canadian?  AQIM is trying to send canada a message? Seriously? I'm sure they didn't care if they were Canadian or Finnish. I'm positive the attack would have gone forward even if the canadians weren't there.

Agree, BUT due to timing...there were Canadians.  Jihadists aren't picky and likely considered it 'luck on their part'! but nonetheless, 6 of our citizens perished.

So you just try and think of why this is so important other than the fact 6 Canadians were there killed.

I answered the underlined part with the yellow text.

And why 6 Canadians matter more than everyone who dies in foreign lands to terrorists acts.

I think I answered that;  because I am  :cdn:, Canadian deaths to terrorists hit closer to home for me.  I am sure if someone from Finland was watching the news and saw 6 Canadians were killed, it would be the same - they would 'feel it more' if it was 6 citizens from their own country.  I also suggest that is entirely normal and human, and wouldn't expect anything different. 

Till you can answer that (I answered your question) am afraid we will just be talking in circles

It happens on here sometimes.  ;D

To get this sort of back on track...because of the thoughts, info and facts laid out in this part of the thread discussion, my view as a Canadian citizen is I found the response from the PM to be 'lacking' and inadequate, for many of the reasons in a few of the news articles picked up on.  At times like this, our PM speaks for our nation and I, for one, wished the speaking would have been more compassionate.

So there's the tie-back to the thread, on 'the first 100 days'.

So you just try and think of why this is so important other than the fact 6 Canadians were there. And why 6 Canadians matter more than everyone who dies in foreign lands to terrorists acts.

[/quote]

It matters regardless of colour, nationality, religious and sexual preference, height, sex, geographical location or government at the time. If I left out any grouping it was from forgetfulness and not because they don't matter. 

Loachman said:
But just wait for War Measures Act II in the near future...

"How far do you intend to go?"

"Just watch me.."

;)

jollyjacktar said:
I don't think he's got the balls his father did.

That's what I was just thinking. He may of learned politics at his father's knee but he has nowhere near the chutzpah his father had, and I doubt he ever will. I'm still convinced that he's nothing more than a frontman puppet, talking head for the old liebral elitists who are still running things behind the scenes.

Just a quick point on this issue of attacking white people. Given the rising number of christian converts to Islam, and how many of those are white or European stock, it really doesn't make much sense to base an attack on that signature alone. But,  white people in a hotel in Jakarta+ all sitting together at a table+ from Quebec and probably speaking French + none of whom have a sufficiently jihadi looking beard>> that is likely the signature these types of attacks are based on.
It is not just skin color, or even nationality- it is race and religion and non-conformity with islam. Thats what makes this a global affair that requires a serious response by the leadership of the citizens of the countries who suffered deaths and causalities. 

It is NOT OK to attack and kill Canadian citizens anywhere in the world, regardless of why they are there, and certainly not acceptable to float the idea of "wrong place wrong time"= "sucks to you, the unlucky person blown into a pink mist." 

And the response we have from the PM is a shallow pout and some PC statements about diversity and tolerance. With respect, that does no good at all. I would be happier if he said nothing but actually did something, anything, that shows balls and retribution.  May his "winter jacket" be old and full of holes, and infested with the fleas from a thousand camels.   

Cheers

whiskey601 said:
Just a quick point on this issue of attacking white people. Given the rising number of christian converts to Islam, and how many of those are white or European stock, it really doesn't make much sense to base an attack on that signature alone. But,  white people in a hotel in Jakarta+ all sitting together at a table+ from Quebec and probably speaking French + none of whom have a sufficiently jihadi looking beard>> that is likely the signature these types of attacks are based on.
It is not just skin color, or even nationality- it is race and religion and non-conformity with islam. Thats what makes this a global affair that requires a serious response by the leadership of the citizens of the countries who suffered deaths and causalities. 

It is NOT OK to attack and kill Canadian citizens anywhere in the world, regardless of why they are there, and certainly not acceptable to float the idea of "wrong place wrong time"= "sucks to you, the unlucky person blown into a pink mist." 

And the response we have from the PM is a shallow pout and some PC statements about diversity and tolerance. With respect, that does no good at all. I would be happier if he said nothing but actually did something, anything, that shows balls and retribution.  May his "winter jacket" be old and full of holes, and infested with the fleas from a thousand camels.   

Cheers   

^^^ This!  :goodpost:

Altair said:
.... we will just be talking in circles
And to think it took only 21 pages for that  to kick in.

Altair, you mentioned earlier that you felt people were dismissing you because of your profile.  I've found that most  people here will weigh your words for what they are.  It is painfully obvious however, that there are people on both sides of ideology who are content to repetitively talk in circles.

I am afraid that maybe you are indirectly correct in that some folks figure you are obligated to refer to your watch when discussing 'time in,' and that perhaps when you have actually spent some time in these 'obscure shit-holes where people have it coming to them for merely being there,' you will have a different world view of peoples' lives.  Who knows.

On that note, I'm back in the <ignore> mode for likely another 20 pages or so.  Enjoy the :deadhorse:

recceguy said:
That's what I was just thinking. He may of learned politics at his father's knee but he has nowhere near the chutzpah his father had, and I doubt he ever will.
Love or hate/agree or disagree with the old man, PMT Sr. had a vision he could explain - and enforce as needed.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/where-is-the-pm-when-quebec-needs-him/article28272457/

LYSIANE GAGNON

Where is the PM when Quebec needs him?

Lysiane Gagnon

Special to The Globe and Mail

Published Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016 6:00AM EST

Last updated Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2016 6:04PM EST

Terrorism doesn’t fit into Justin Trudeau’s sunny views. The Prime Minister didn’t see fit to join the hundreds of Quebeckers who gathered on Monday to honour the memory of the six Quebeckers killed by Islamist terrorists in Ouagadougou, although the day before he made a point of visiting a mosque in Peterborough, Ont., that had been damaged by arson.

Six humanitarian workers from Lac-Beauport, a suburb of Quebec City, were killed last Friday in Burkina Faso’s capital in attacks claimed by a group known as al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb. The day before, another Quebecker, Tahar Amer-Ouali, was killed in a terrorist attack by the Islamic State in Jakarta. Not since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, have so many Canadians died in terrorist attacks.

Apparently, the Prime Minister’s Office didn’t see the point in changing Mr. Trudeau’s schedule so that he could attend the grieving ceremony in Lac-Beauport on Monday. The least he could have done would have been to express a bit of emotion and anger. “Instead,” wrote La Presse columnist Vincent Marissal, “what we had were a mild condemnation and empty words, and nothing about the government’s plan to fight terrorism.”

Mr. Trudeau reacted to the tragedy that struck home with a feeble, conventional expression of condolences, as if he were a reluctant visitor to a funeral home. In a statement issued Saturday, he said he was “deeply saddened by the senseless acts of violence against innocent civilians,” phrasing that suggests these acts were done randomly by a few mad people with no specific agenda.

Last November, he had the same reaction to the mass killings in Paris. Alone among world leaders – even U.S. President Barack Obama departed from his characteristic phlegm to express his revolt at the attacks and resolve in fighting terrorism – Mr. Trudeau reacted with a brief and spineless expression of condolences that left many observers puzzled.

The Paris attacks were not enough to change his plan to recall Canadian fighter jets from the coalition fighting the Islamic State. He stuck to his candid pacifist stand even as the other members of the coalition were stepping up their military efforts. The result is that Canada has lost its standing among its allies.

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan was shut out of a high-level strategic meeting between the coalition partners being held Wednesdayin Paris. Even Italy and the Netherlands will be represented, but Canada’s chair will be empty.

The government hasn’t yet announced the plan that is supposed to replace the fighter jets mission, nor did it say how it intends to protect the hundreds of Canadians involved in humanitarian work in Africa (about a dozen Quebec non-governmental organizations are operating in Burkina Faso).

Former prime minister Stephen Harper was too warlike. Now, we have the other extreme: a prime minister who hates conflicts and sees the world through a New Age prism in which everything can be solved with love and understanding. Unfortunately, the country he leads doesn’t live in a dream world.

Maybe Mr. Trudeau’s timidity is also due to the fear of raising anti-Muslim sentiments. But this is a misplaced fear: Canadians are not stupid and they know that the huge majority of Muslims have nothing to do with radical Islam. And Muslims are often the first victims of the murderous groups who reign by terror over large parts of the Middle East and Africa.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/01/20/a-steady-economic-hand-but-a-shaky-foreign-grip-for-trudeau-tim-harper.html

A steady economic hand but a shaky foreign grip for Trudeau: Tim Harper

Stay-the-course in troubled economic waters is good, but inaction on foreign files can be costly, Trudeau learns

CHRIS WATTIE / REUTERS file photo

It’s not as if Justin Trudeau and Finance Minister Bill Morneau are not aware of what has transpired in the 92 days since the Liberals celebrated their majority, writes Tim Harper.

By:Tim Harper National Affairs, Published on Wed Jan 20 2016

OTTAWA—Maybe it’s because the length of the campaign served Justin Trudeau so well that the prime minister sometimes sounds like he is still campaigning instead of governing.

When it comes to the Canadian economy, this never-ending campaign talk is serving Trudeau, and Canadians, well.

But the same recipe of inaction on our role in an anti-ISIS coalition is costing this government.

This is a government with a strong mandate and four years ahead of it, and despite the initial urgency attached to a long list of campaign promises, it is moving very deliberately, whether on refugees, electoral and Senate reform, national security or foreign policy.

First, the economy.

Trudeau has little choice at the moment but to promote the three-Cs — calm, control and confidence — while all those around him are seemingly running around with their hair on fire.

The opposition demands a meeting. Journalists demand an earlier budget. Editorial boards demand faster, deeper stimulus spending.

Budgets are best delivered when they are ready, not expedited because there is bubbling panic in the land. The prime minister is a communicator and if times are troubled, his message has to be “we have a plan, we’ve got this.”

It’s not as if Trudeau and Finance Minister Bill Morneau are not aware of what has transpired in the 92 days since the Liberals celebrated their majority.

Here’s a reminder.

On the day Trudeau was elected, the Canadian dollar was worth 77.2 cents (U.S.).

Tuesday it traded at 68.6 cents.

A barrel of oil was at $45.89 (U.S.) last Oct. 19. Midday Tuesday it sat at $29.04.

The loonie and oil were at 12-year lows.

On election day, the Toronto Stock Exchange composite index stood at 13,756.81. Tuesday, it opened at 11,942.17.

The International Monetary Fund has downgraded its growth outlook for Canada in 2017.

Perhaps most troubling, the Parliamentary Budget Officer says Canadians now owe $171 for every $100 of disposable income. Household debt is at its highest level in 25 years and we have grown more debt than any other G7 country in the past 15 years.

Trudeau cannot raise the price of oil or boost Chinese economic growth but by showing alarm or an unseemly urgency — or, perhaps suggesting this is a “buying opportunity” — he could risk making the situation much worse.

“The priority that the Canadian government has is to grow the economy in meaningful ways for middle-class Canadians and for those working hard to join the middle class,’’ he said. “That means putting Canadians to work.’’

That is nothing more than campaign boilerplate, but it is a statement from a man who will not be pushed off course.

He and a handful of cabinet ministers are off to Davos, Switzerland with the message that Canada is spending, it is a welcoming environment for investors, and is much more than a resource-based economy. This is the anti-Stephen Harper message. The former prime minister used Davos as a backdrop in 2012 when he called his effort to get crude oil to Asia a “national priority.’’

But a lot has happened on another front in 90 days since the election.

There have been terrorist slaughters in Paris and San Bernardino, Calif. Seven Canadians have been killed in terror attacks.

Our allies are stepping up the fight against Islamic State but the Trudeau government has dithered, not backing away from its pledge to withdraw six CF-18s from the coalition, but offering ever-shifting rationales and timelines, without announcing any commensurate contributions on the ground to counter the perception it is retreating from the fight.

Meanwhile, Canadian planes have flown 2,038 bombing, refuelling and reconnaissance sorties.

Late last week two CF-18 Hornets struck an ISIS fighting position east of Mosul and another pair of CF-18s hit an ISIS fighting position north of Tikrit.

The current mandate for the fighters expires in March, but here the Trudeau government’s deliberations are seen as inaction and 90 days of indecision. That has become costly.

It has cost Ottawa a seat at the table at a Paris meeting of “significant contributors” to the anti-ISIS coalition chaired by U.S. Defence Secretary Ashton Carter.

Snub or not, it is a barometer of where our allies see Canada. Our standing ebbs the longer it takes to make a decision on a training commitment.

A leader can go a long way resisting pressure for a knee jerk response to a discouraging domestic economic ledger. But the Trudeau Liberals are learning the same luxury of time may not exist on the international front.

Tim Harper is a national affairs writer. His column appears Monday, Wednesday and Friday. tharper@thestar.ca twitter:@nutgraf1

Steady economic hand until the $8B a year Child Benefit hits the budget this February.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/john-ivison-how-can-the-liberals-leave-others-to-defend-our-national-security

John Ivison: How can the Liberals leave others to defend our national security?

John Ivison | January 19, 2016 7:35 PM ET

Tyler Anderson / National PostOne of the reasons advanced by Justin Trudeau for not supporting military action was that the previous war in Iraq in 2003 was justified by faulty intelligence.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 will go down as a day of ignominy for the Liberal Party of Canada.

For crass electoral reasons, the party voted that day against the Conservative motion to send CF-18 fighters to join the coalition arranged against the barbarians of the Islamic State, the militant group who, at the time, were knocking at the gates of Baghdad.

Calculating that the war would become unpopular, particularly in Quebec, the Trudeau Liberals locked themselves into a position advocating a “military role of a non-combat nature.”

That they still haven’t found a face-saving way to fix that blunder is now Canada’s disgrace.

Camille Carrier, the mother of Maude Carrier, who was killed in a terror attack by Islamic fundamentalists in Burkina Faso on Friday, said she is ashamed of Canada. “I have plenty of friends in France who are ashamed of us,” she said, as she called for military action against jihadist forces.

One of the reasons advanced by Justin Trudeau for not supporting military action was that the previous war in Iraq in 2003 was justified by faulty intelligence. “The world is still living daily with the consequences of that mistake,” he said.

But the French, who strongly opposed George W. Bush’s cavalier interventionism 13 years ago, are in the vanguard of the fight against ISIL.

The Trudeau government has been able to maintain the pretence that our allies are not upset with us over its decision to withdraw the CF-18s from the fight.

Diplomatic niceties have persuaded countries like France and the U.S. that embarrassing the new government overtly will not profit them.

But comments last week by Ash Carter, the U.S. secretary of defence, appear aimed squarely at Ottawa.

“Any nation that cares about the safety of its people or the future of its civilization must know this - America will continue to lead the fight but there can be no free riders,” he said in remarks to the 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell, Ky. “Many nations are already contributing greatly. Many can do more.”

This week he will meet with the defence ministers of nations with a “significant stake” in accelerating the efforts against ISIL — France, Australia, German, Italy, the U.K. and The Netherlands.

No mention of Canada. Because Canada has given the impression it does not take the jihadist threat seriously, the countries that do have decided they will not take Canada seriously.

Harjit Sajjan, the new defence minister, is a serious man who was still just a candidate for parliament when the Liberals decided to oppose the deployment. He tried to downplay the snub Tuesday, saying it doesn’t put Canada on the outside.

But he knows he is putting a brave face on a situation he would have found humiliating as a soldier.

When the decision to deploy was made, the goal was containment. Stephen Harper said the mission was aimed at “degrading” ISIL’s capabilities and halt its spread in the region.

Carter made clear that ambition has now grown to “destroying the ISIL parent tumour in Iraq and Syria” and then crushing its ability to fight elsewhere in the world.

He said he has now personally reached out to the defence ministers of 40 countries to ask them to “step up” and contribute more to the fight.

It’s still not clear what Canada’s response will be. Sajjan said last week he is still assessing that role after a Christmas visit to Iraq
It’s still not clear what Canada’s response will be. Sajjan said last week he is still assessing that role after a Christmas visit to Iraq.

But it seems whatever we do, we will cling to the notion of a military, non-combat role.

This, despite the unprovoked attack last week by jihadist zealots that left six Canadians dead for the crime of building a school in Burkina Faso.

This, despite a UN Security Council resolution that calls for members to “take all necessary measures” to prevent and suppress terrorist acts committed by ISIL.

This, despite this country’s proud record in Afghanistan and beyond in defence of human rights and justice.

We know that more attacks are being planned, here and abroad, whether we fight back or not.

Which raises the question posed by Hilary Benn, the British Labour Party’s foreign affairs critic, in a blistering speech in the House of Commons: “Can we really leave to others the responsibility to defend our national security?”

The question should be put squarely to the new prime minister - the leader of the party that advocated “responsibility to protect” - at the first opportunity. And the answer received, should be a resolute “No - we will not take a free ride.”

One of the comments:

Jackson Lively

The concept of Muslim immigration began with Islam’s prophet. Soon after Muhammad arrived to Yathrib (Medina) together with his close friend and father of his wife Aisha, Abu Bakr, they were joined by a ring of other friends and followers, known in Islamic history as “Companions.” They formed in Medina the first body of Muslim immigrants in history and very soon changed the face of Medina, making it the city of the victorious Islam. Immigration transformed Muslims from weak and scattered groups of individuals loyal to their religious leader, into a consolidated army, then a united community and finally, into a socio-religious political state. If Muhammad and his group had never immigrated to Yathrib in 622 AD, there would never have been any Islamic social, economic and political expansion.

Muslims learned and remembered this lesson, and since then the concept of Hijrah- Immigration- as a means of supplanting the native population and reaching the position of power became a well-developed doctrine in Islam. Immigration in Islam is not a Western liberal romance about how the newcomers gratefully search for opportunities for a better life in liberty and offer their talents and loyalty to the benefit of their new homeland. Immigration as Islam sees it is an instrument of Islamic expansionism that employs religious and ethnic separatism in order to gain special status and privilege, then subvert, subdue, and subjugate non-Muslim societies and pave the way for their total Islamization and implementation of Shari’ah law.

It´s not “immigration”, it´s not “refugees”; it´s an INVASION. And Saudi Arabia, a bastion of Islam, is organizing, financing and supporting it.

jmt18325 said:
It doesn't cost an additional $8B per year.

I'm a median income Canadian at $75,000 household income, and I have 3 kids. Trudeau will pay me $1000, tax free a month. If there's 500,000 families like me (very plausible), that's $6B a year alone. Not to mention all the lower income Canadians with large families who will get a whole lot more.

Tell me again how my math is off.

Edit: Here's an idea on how many families with children there are in Canada: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/famil50a-eng.htm As a summary, there's over 5 million.

Found a vid of our government's policies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRC4Vk6kisY

PuckChaser said:
Tell me again how my math is off.

It replaces all the current child benefit programs (UCCB, CCTB, and Income Splitting).  It's supposed to be a net increase of about $2B per year. 

Loachman said:
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/john-ivison-how-can-the-liberals-leave-others-to-defend-our-national-security

John Ivison: How can the Liberals leave others to defend our national security?

John Ivison | January 19, 2016 7:35 PM ET

Tyler Anderson / National PostOne of the reasons advanced by Justin Trudeau for not supporting military action was that the previous war in Iraq in 2003 was justified by faulty intelligence.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 will go down as a day of ignominy for the Liberal Party of Canada.

For crass electoral reasons, the party voted that day against the Conservative motion to send CF-18 fighters to join the coalition arranged against the barbarians of the Islamic State, the militant group who, at the time, were knocking at the gates of Baghdad.

Calculating that the war would become unpopular, particularly in Quebec, the Trudeau Liberals locked themselves into a position advocating a “military role of a non-combat nature.”

That they still haven’t found a face-saving way to fix that blunder is now Canada’s disgrace.

Camille Carrier, the mother of Maude Carrier, who was killed in a terror attack by Islamic fundamentalists in Burkina Faso on Friday, said she is ashamed of Canada. “I have plenty of friends in France who are ashamed of us,” she said, as she called for military action against jihadist forces.

One of the reasons advanced by Justin Trudeau for not supporting military action was that the previous war in Iraq in 2003 was justified by faulty intelligence. “The world is still living daily with the consequences of that mistake,” he said.

But the French, who strongly opposed George W. Bush’s cavalier interventionism 13 years ago, are in the vanguard of the fight against ISIL.

The Trudeau government has been able to maintain the pretence that our allies are not upset with us over its decision to withdraw the CF-18s from the fight.

Diplomatic niceties have persuaded countries like France and the U.S. that embarrassing the new government overtly will not profit them.

But comments last week by Ash Carter, the U.S. secretary of defence, appear aimed squarely at Ottawa.

“Any nation that cares about the safety of its people or the future of its civilization must know this - America will continue to lead the fight but there can be no free riders,” he said in remarks to the 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell, Ky. “Many nations are already contributing greatly. Many can do more.”

This week he will meet with the defence ministers of nations with a “significant stake” in accelerating the efforts against ISIL — France, Australia, German, Italy, the U.K. and The Netherlands.

No mention of Canada. Because Canada has given the impression it does not take the jihadist threat seriously, the countries that do have decided they will not take Canada seriously.

Harjit Sajjan, the new defence minister, is a serious man who was still just a candidate for parliament when the Liberals decided to oppose the deployment. He tried to downplay the snub Tuesday, saying it doesn’t put Canada on the outside.

But he knows he is putting a brave face on a situation he would have found humiliating as a soldier.

When the decision to deploy was made, the goal was containment. Stephen Harper said the mission was aimed at “degrading” ISIL’s capabilities and halt its spread in the region.

Carter made clear that ambition has now grown to “destroying the ISIL parent tumour in Iraq and Syria” and then crushing its ability to fight elsewhere in the world.

He said he has now personally reached out to the defence ministers of 40 countries to ask them to “step up” and contribute more to the fight.

It’s still not clear what Canada’s response will be. Sajjan said last week he is still assessing that role after a Christmas visit to Iraq
It’s still not clear what Canada’s response will be. Sajjan said last week he is still assessing that role after a Christmas visit to Iraq.

But it seems whatever we do, we will cling to the notion of a military, non-combat role.

This, despite the unprovoked attack last week by jihadist zealots that left six Canadians dead for the crime of building a school in Burkina Faso.

This, despite a UN Security Council resolution that calls for members to “take all necessary measures” to prevent and suppress terrorist acts committed by ISIL.

This, despite this country’s proud record in Afghanistan and beyond in defence of human rights and justice.

We know that more attacks are being planned, here and abroad, whether we fight back or not.

Which raises the question posed by Hilary Benn, the British Labour Party’s foreign affairs critic, in a blistering speech in the House of Commons: “Can we really leave to others the responsibility to defend our national security?”

The question should be put squarely to the new prime minister - the leader of the party that advocated “responsibility to protect” - at the first opportunity. And the answer received, should be a resolute “No - we will not take a free ride.”

One of the comments:

Jackson Lively

The concept of Muslim immigration began with Islam’s prophet. Soon after Muhammad arrived to Yathrib (Medina) together with his close friend and father of his wife Aisha, Abu Bakr, they were joined by a ring of other friends and followers, known in Islamic history as “Companions.” They formed in Medina the first body of Muslim immigrants in history and very soon changed the face of Medina, making it the city of the victorious Islam. Immigration transformed Muslims from weak and scattered groups of individuals loyal to their religious leader, into a consolidated army, then a united community and finally, into a socio-religious political state. If Muhammad and his group had never immigrated to Yathrib in 622 AD, there would never have been any Islamic social, economic and political expansion.

Muslims learned and remembered this lesson, and since then the concept of Hijrah- Immigration- as a means of supplanting the native population and reaching the position of power became a well-developed doctrine in Islam. Immigration in Islam is not a Western liberal romance about how the newcomers gratefully search for opportunities for a better life in liberty and offer their talents and loyalty to the benefit of their new homeland. Immigration as Islam sees it is an instrument of Islamic expansionism that employs religious and ethnic separatism in order to gain special status and privilege, then subvert, subdue, and subjugate non-Muslim societies and pave the way for their total Islamization and implementation of Shari’ah law.

It´s not “immigration”, it´s not “refugees”; it´s an INVASION. And Saudi Arabia, a bastion of Islam, is organizing, financing and supporting it.

Just wondering: does this guy write for 'The Donald'? :)

jmt18325 said:
It replaces all the current child benefit programs (UCCB, CCTB, and Income Splitting).  It's supposed to be a net increase of about $2B per year.

I make $330 a month taxed, so $247.50 after tax (25%) for UCCB and CCTB. Income Splitting gives me ~$1800 a year. That's $4770 out of my $12,000, or a total of $3,615,000 a year for 500,000 families in my situation. Your Liberal math is off by $1.6B, as was it for the "revenue neutral" middle class tax cut that cost us ~$2B a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back