• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PM, Def Min @ CFB Petawawa 11 May 07

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
From the Prime Minister's Web Site <http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/>
(http://www.pm.gc.ca/)

_____ 

Public events for May 11, 2007

May 10, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario

Public events for Prime Minister Stephen Harper for Friday, May 11th
are:

Petawawa, Ontario

9:30 a.m. – Prime Minister Stephen Harper will attend the Petawawa Red
Friday Rally and March of Military Appreciation and deliver brief
remarks. The Prime Minister will be accompanied by Minister of National
Defence, Gordon O’Connor, and Member of Parliament for
Renfrew—Nipissing—Pembroke, Cheryl Gallant.

Parking Lot
Petawawa Legion
3583 Petawawa Blvd
Petawawa, Ontario
K8H 2Y1

*Photo opportunity only*

_____ 

The Prime Minister’s Office - Communications
[Note: You are receiving this e-mail for information only, and because
you have subscribed to our distribution list. To modify your
subscription or to have your name removed from the list, go to: (
http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/subscribe.asp?login)]

Prime Minister Stephen Harper pays tribute to troops at Red Friday rally
11 May 2007
PETAWAWA

Prime Minister Stephen Harper today addressed a Red Friday rally in support of Canadian troops in Petawawa, Ontario.  The Prime Minister began his remarks by lauding those in attendance for standing by the Canadian Forces and its mission in Afghanistan.

“I’d like to thank you for the incredible amount of strength and support you have displayed over the last 12 months while hundreds of members from CFB Petawawa were deployed in Afghanistan,” said Prime Minister Harper. 

The Prime Minister spoke of their heroic acts in Afghanistan, noting that nine soldiers from the base were recently honoured for their service.  The Prime Minister went on to speak of the importance of ensuring Canadians from coast-to-coast are made aware of their stories of professionalism, bravery, and selflessness. 

“Unfortunately, these soldiers didn’t get the attention they deserved, because their stories were eclipsed by arguments in the House of Commons over the allegations of Taliban prisoners.  I sincerely hope their stories get told when the Governor General formally awards their decorations,” said Prime Minister Harper. 

This is the second year that Red Friday rallies have been held across the country.  The event grew out of the “Wear Red Friday” campaign, which was started by family members of soldiers from CFB Petawawa in 2006.

Yeah, I was there. Not sure if we were there for a hockey pep rally, a Bush-esque political speech, or a somewhat un-Canadian self-congratulation session.

Showing support for the troops is great but I am a big fan of stoic Canadian understatement. American-style 'hooray for us' pretentions really don't suit us in my opinion, and when we were being asked by the MC for yet another "woohoo" to show our support for the troops, a little bit of my breakfast came up. It all seemed contrived, affected and immoderate.

Still, it was good to see we have a PM and CDS who care. I just wish that we didn't feel we had to put on a pep-rally to know they cared.

MG

Mortar guy said:
Yeah, I was there. Not sure if we were there for a hockey pep rally, a Bush-esque political speech, or a somewhat un-Canadian self-congratulation session.

Showing support for the troops is great but I am a big fan of stoic Canadian understatement. American-style 'hooray for us' pretentions really don't suit us in my opinion, and when we were being asked by the MC for yet another "woohoo" to show our support for the troops, a little bit of my breakfast came up. It all seemed contrived, affected and immoderate.

Still, it was good to see we have a PM and CDS who care. I just wish that we didn't feel we had to put on a pep-rally to know they cared.

MG

+1 Mortar guy, I think Harper wants a military capable of international missions but he isn't shy about using it for political gain either.

Do you think that is a good idea? I mean maybe that is what people need is a Little bit of "pep rally" atomsphere for other people to see and change their minds on 1) The mission and 2) The forces in general

I was also there today, and I very much enjoyed and appreciated the fact that the PM, CDS and MND were in attendance and spoke.   Hillier is always enjoyable to listen to, and I like the stand that the PM took on the Afghan prisoner debate.   That being said, it did seem mostly like a political photo op, and not necessarily the right place to be making those statements :-\

It was kind of cool to see that many people from the area dressed in red and all in one place as well.  You always see people wearing the red on Fridays,  but having that many in one place was something new.
Seeing a few thousand people gaggling down the main drag was pretty amusing too  :D

Back