• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Platoons, Brigades, Divisions Oh My! How the Army & the CF are structured.

The dot/line/x system is the NATO standard designation.  Play some wargames and it'll come really quick (as you wonder why your unit with a three dots gets hammered everytime it runs into one with two lines....)

.  - Detachment or fireteam

..  - Section

... - Platoon

l  - Company

ll  - Batallion

lll  - Regiment (Common for Soviet units and WWII German ones, in which a Regiment was a fighting formation)

x - Brigade (The term Brigade Group is often used to designate a combined arms Brigade)

xx - Division

xxx - Corps

xxxx - Army

xxxxx - Army Group or Theater Command

Ok, So I'm sorry if this has been covered and should be answered fairly quickly, the thing i want to know is the structure the army follow, how many people per section, how many sections to a platoon, how many platoons to a company, then whats after company...regiment? if someone could provide a table or a link that'd be great  :cdn:

The answer varies, although the "rule of three" gives you a rough estimate. (3 sections to a platoon, 3 platoons to a company, 3 companies to a battalion, etc, etc)

. . . and that rule of three typically breaks down when you try to apply it to support elements.

Yup, I was just giving him the basic beans.  He can find the answer if he bothers to search through this thread....

Both these charts have a number of inaccuracies and misinterpretations. The depictions of the Army and the LFAs have several errors. The "Brigade" graphic is quite out of date and bears limited resemblance to a Canadian Mech Bde Gp today. Where did these come from? Try going to the dnd.ca site to look up a more accurate version of this data.

Cheers.

Ok, this is probably going to sound a bit ignorant to those of you who are members, but as a civvy I think that is expected...lol
I'm just curious how the Canadian army is organized into its various brigade groups, regiments, battalions etc and what the difference between these groups is (what size, what rank officer is in command). Also, are the reserves and reg for completely seperated in their command structure? I can't seem to find this info anywhere so I'm kind of in the dark...thanks

JM

The Canadian Army is organized into a headquarters (co-located in Ottawa with NDHQ), a Doctrine and Training System (HQ in Kingston), and four Land Force Areas (LFAs). From east to west these are: Atlantic, Secteur du Quebec, Central and Western. Each of these LFAs is commanded by a Regular Brigadier General, with one Reserve BGen as his second in command. Under the LFA HQ are (normally) one Regular Army mechanized Brigade Group and several Army Reserve Brigade Groups(a total of 10 across the Army), each commanded by a Colonel (Reg or Res respectively). LFAA has no Reg CMBG. Each LFA also owns an Area Support Group, which is equivalent to a formation and commands the support bases (Area Support Units) and the General Support Service Battalion (altough that is changing as we speak). Each LFA also owns at least one Area Training Centre where field exercises, range work and courses of instruction can be conducted.

Each LFA Commander is responsible for all Army activities in his area, from training to domestic operations to generating forces for overseas operations to looking after infrastructure: he has very big range of responsibilities, and commands both Regular and Reserve troops to achieve his assigned tasks. The Reserve CBGs contain a small number of Regular soldiers, but by regulation the senior CBG and unit command positions must be held by Reservists unless the Res is unable to produce a suitable candidate, in which case a Regular could fill the spot.

A Regular Mechanized Brigade Group usually consists of an HQ, a Signal Squadron that support the information systems and administrative needs of the HQ, a unit from the Armoured branch, an Artillery unit, one light Infantry battalion, two mech infantry battalions, and engineer unit, and a combat service support unit. Under the control (but not the "command") of the CMBG are a medical unit and a tactical helicopter unit.

The detailed organization of all of these units is changing as we speak under a program known as "Army Transformation", so it is becoming difficult to say exactly how a unit of any given type is organized other than in a generic way.

A Res CBG has no fixed organization and is primarily a trainining organization with a certain domestic operations capability (although this is changing too...). For example, the Res CBG I belong to consists of an HQ, two Armoured units, three Artillery units, five Infantry units and three combat service support units. Under our control but not our command are three Medical units. We are in the process of forming an Engineer sub-unit. Other CBGs are totally different: it is really a geographic and administrative grouping rather than an operational one.

Cheers.

Here is a summary of this thread: http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Platoons%2C_Brigades%2C_Divisions_Oh_My%21

Hi,
i just want to know how many men are in a platoon, company, battalion, regiment (...) in the Canadian army.

Thanks

You can start your reading here - http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Land_Force_Command#How_the_Army_is_structured

So if I understand a typical Canadian battalion is consist of 180-540 men and a regiment is just a symbolic aspect in the Canadian army but its a battalion.

K. Comeau said:
So if I understand a typical Canadian battalion is consist of 180-540 men and a regiment is just a symbolic aspect in the Canadian army but its a battalion.

You are combining a lot of things in one sentence.
You may gain better ground if you try to think about one arm (as in Infantry), as opposed to the entire Army. But if you want to go there, look at the Brigade info.  The Wiki is pretty self-explanatory.

http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Platoons%2C_Brigades%2C_Divisions_Oh_My%21#ll___-_Batallion

I learn and if I understand 3 plattons ( 30-45 each) = 1 companies so (30*3=90) to (45*3=135) men and if 3 companies = 1 battalion so its about 270 to 405 men per battalion in the Canadian army.

You are forgetting that at each level there are additional people for headquarters & support staff.

K. Comeau said:
I learn and if I understand 3 plattons ( 30-45 each) = 1 companies so (30*3=90) to (45*3=135) men and if 3 companies = 1 battalion so its about 270 to 405 men per battalion in the Canadian army.

No

Lets throw you really wild curve ball.  Lets look at the Artillery Regiment - Something like this

HQ Svcs Battery
1 Lcol (Regt Comd)
1 Maj (DCO)
3 Capt (Ops/Adjt/RCPO)
1 CWO (RSM)
3 WO's (OPS WO, RQMS, Transport)
4 Sgt's (ADM/Log)
6 Bdr/Gnr/Pte

Gun Bty

1 Maj (BC)
1 Capt (BK)
1 MWO (BSM)