• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Peter Worthington-- Why they are over there

military granny

Inactive
Reaction score
It was arguably our military’s most decisive victory so far.

Even more impressive, it was achieved by troops relatively freshly arrived from Canada — the RCR (Royal Canadian Regiment) who’ve not had the public attention that, say, the Princess Pats have had.

The RCR, which has the reputation of being stuffier and more formal than either the Pats or Vandoos, have got to be feeling chuffed up after a defensive battle over the weekend that left their Taliban enemy south of Kandahar with 70-plus dead, and no casualties among their own.

One battlefield victory is not the war, but it is yet another indication that our military’s days as strictly “peacekeepers” (social workers in uniform) are past, a thing of history.

And every soldier will be pleased.

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Worthington_Peter/2006/08/22/pf-1768946.html

"Although peacekeeping has inevitably eroded combat efficiency, the Pats, RCR, Vandoos, Strathconas, Royal Canadian Dragoons, 12 Regiment Blinde and artillery have all kept alive in their daily training the idea that the business of soldiering was to defend or pursue the national interest. Navy and air force, too. "

I am SURE Peter Worthington meant to mention Canadian Military Engineers...didn't he? Didn't he?

CHIMO! :salute:

Sorry, but peacekeeping was not the cause for the demise of combat efficiency. It was the years of neglect and lack of training dollars. I never once lost the focus even a peace keeping force may have to do War fighting Ops

Chimo said:
I am SURE Peter Worthington meant to mention Canadian Military Engineers...didn't he? Didn't he?

Why would he talk about Lego in his article?  :eek:

For the record and because I want it known publicaly, the action that is being reported as an RCR victory was a joint effort by the RCR, PPCLI, 2RCHA and all support arm's, there was no one unit that could take credit for this and none here would even dream of it.

Hit

I think in most people's minds this tour is identified with RCR, just like the last tour was identified with PPCLI. Even though there is quite a mix, it seems that is the preception.

A fine and well-written article, with one deficiency that I noted.  Worthington (correctly) credits the various Reg F regiments with maintaining a high degree of professionalism.  But he forgets the dozens of Res F units across the country that slog away on armoury floors and in training areas to produce capable, competent soldiers to augment those same regiments--often to the tune of around 20% total manning.  Few of those units ever get mentioned in the press; they only seem to get mentioned by name when one of their own is a casualty.  I'm sure he'd hasten to add this point if he could.

There's the fighting side which Peter Worthington mistakenely calls a decisive victory. I read Decisive as something was decided and victory as an end to something.

His words may be premature but are always welcome.

Tomahawk 6 posted recently about the villagers getting tired of the Taliban and the lack of education opportunities.

If we put those two posts above together - it may suggest the Taliban as the front end of the ideology is getting pinched.

Here's a speech for you that suggests their end game is not military - but Social Work, as Peter Worthington huffily dismisses.

Social work as in helping the countries with the terrorists drain the sea in which they swim. That means jobs and opportunities which will build markets and then the markets will be self policing.

In the meantime clean your weapon while you read the speech below.

http://www.dni.gov/nic/speeches_terrorist_conduct.html

It can hardly be said any better than Mr. Worthington says it in this article. :cdn:

So we finally get someone saying something positive, and rather than say thankyou or having some quiet pride, people pick it apart and moan about little things. What was that Star Trek thing? The good of the whole outweigh the needs of the few.....or something like that. Guess you just can't satisfy everyone.

I guess not Recceguy
IMPO This was a good article. And for a change the media isn't calling down the military and its members.Lets take it for what it is guys and gals.......A pat on the back.

More from Mr Worthington here (to be in Toronto Sun, Aug. 27).
http://frum.nationalreview.com/post/?q=Y2M5Zjc4MGE0NzVhMjBhYTkxMTUwZjM5Y2IwMDUwNGY=

After Korea, beginning in 1956 in Gaza, “peacekeeping” became the hallmark of the Canadian army – until we joined the war against terrorism in Afghanistan. True, Somalia in 1993 was a UN Chapter 7 “fighting” mission, foisted surreptitiously  on the Canadian people, but it was more peacekeeping as expected fighting never occurred.

Although the country hasn’t noticed it, our military has abandoned tradition peacekeeping and returned to more active soldiering, now fighting an unorthodox war against an able and elusive enemy in Afghanistan. Credit (or blame) for this change in direction can be attributed to General Rick Hillier, who has forced (or persuaded) the government to let the military play a more proactive role.

Many Canadians don’t realize how significant the changes are, though predictable sources fret as casualties increase. Every soldier killed gets headline treatment and creates the impression that casualties are horrendous, when in fact they are relatively modest. 

The bottom line is that peacekeeping is passé. For the moment. For an idea as to the competence and effectiveness of our soldiers in the field, here’s an account by
American photojournalist Scott Kesterton, a former Oregon National Guardsman (1983-1991) who spent a year embedded with troops in Afghanistan and was attached to 2 platoon of “A” Company of the Princess Pats when they were part of a 14-day operation  that included
eight attacks on - or from - Taliban and al Qaida fighters.

As reported by koreavetnews@aol.com, Kesterton wrote: “What has resulted is a bonding of US and Canadian forces never before seen. They are not just our neighbor to the North; they have proven themselves to be fighters and soldiers worthy of the highest honors that the U.S. Army offers its own.

Kesterton added: “On our first morning of being attacked, I found myself holding back tears as I
filmed Canadians fighting a fight that began on American soil on Sept. 11, 2001. In interviews that followed, I discovered the depth of commitment that these soldiers held in their hearts,as they expressed their belief in purpose and shared their emotions, at times with tears. Two countries,each proud of their roots and history, unified across the border that distinguishes each of us ....

"From patrols to attacks, and an operational tempo that pushed us all to the point of exhaustion, and even the loss of one of my cameras following a fire fight, the Canadian soldiers and I became close friends, bridging into that place that only soldiers know... a band of brothers.”

Kesterton continues: “In the last engagement working with the Canadian soldiers we were ambushed in a small village. As three of us were making our way toward the enemy, a Canadian squad leader appeared at our right flank, killing a Taliban soldier who was poised to
shoot us. The Canadian saved not only the lives of two of his fellow soldiers, but the life of this American photojournalist.”

A few days later Kesterton asked Canadian soldiers how they felt about this war that had begun with an attack on American soil. The answers were virtually unanimous: "It's time that someone else steps up. The United States shouldn't have to carry the fight alone. We may be Canadians, but the attack was an attack on our common values and beliefs. 9/11 was an attack on all
of us."

It would seem that the legacy established in WWI, continues in the Canadian army today.

Mark
Ottawa

That article bought tears to my eyes because its so true! Our American neighbours are our best freinds, we share a common belief "Freedom". The only thing that seperates us is a border and we have more in common with them than any other nation in the world. I know if my best freind and neigbour is in need, i will step up without hesitation and help or defend them. Thats what friends do for each other.

Our soldiers are second to none, they are couragious, compassionate, and honourable and i cherish each and every one of them!

Pro Patria

Retired.

scotts work is hosted by kgw.com, he's an incredible guy who stayed with our pl for alot of fights during that period, he went out of his way to let us tell our story and not dig for dirt, which is an approach that any reporter could learn from

I almost always enjoy Mr Worthingtons columns as they usually cut right to the chase with a minimum of PC nonsense. When compared to the anti-American, anti-west, pro-terrorist ramblings of Eric Margolis it definitely come as a breath of fresh air.

Chimo said:
"Although peacekeeping has inevitably eroded combat efficiency, the Pats, RCR, Vandoos, Strathconas, Royal Canadian Dragoons, 12 Regiment Blinde and artillery have all kept alive in their daily training the idea that the business of soldiering was to defend or pursue the national interest. Navy and air force, too. "

Chimo!........
Are you being typical Engineer Humble....
You rattled off all the combat arms - except for the Engineers!

It's always good to have a Sapper in your back pocket when the chips are down.

IMHO

CHIMO!

Back