• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Performance enhancing drugs for the soldier?

Darpa Offers No Food for Thought

"Metabolic Dominance" or the "Peak Soldier"

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,62297,00.html

http://www.darpa.mil/dso/thrust/biosci/bs_human.htm

Does anybody know when the army stopped issuing benzedrine?  The British paras at Arnhem had the stuff, don't know how widely available it was.

They were not the only ones to use Bennies, I remember my Dad saying they used to give it to the Commando's prior to ops as well.  I am sure there were other instances of better living through chemicals too.

Kilo_302 said:
Maybe he thought "Snipercommandorangerninjapirate Course" was a course offered by the German Army.  ;D

Scharfschützekommandoförsterninjapirat is the correct German Course Name... geee... I'll forgive you now...  ;)

In a recent New Scientist magazine (sorry forgot which issue) I read an article about the coming pharmaceutical wonders. There are drugs right now that can keep you awake for days at a time with no side effects or diminished capabilities. (These are drugs used to treat sleeping disorders like narcolepsy) The potential for the military is obvious, but some of these drugs are being used in the drug/party culture. People who like drug parties can go for days and not sleep. I guess that way they can snort all of their parents money up their noses so fast that Mom and Dad can't send them to rehab before the money is all gone.

Drugs of the future (the next ten years or so) may make sleep a thing of the past. Drugs will regulate the chemicals in the brain so that sleep is not needed. Furthermore, drugs such as Ritalin are now being used by healthy college kids to score better on tests, but new drugs will be specifically designed to enhance the performance of memory and problem solving. Not to mention controlling anxiety, stress, and a whole raft of other "normal" mental conditions.

Should be an interesting few years.

Cardstonkid said:
There are drugs right now that can keep you awake for days at a time with no side effects or diminished capabilities. (These are drugs used to treat sleeping disorders like narcolepsy)

Not questioning you, Cardstonkid, but I find it pretty unlikely that there'd be no side effects of diminished capabilities. I'd like to see more information on these "miracle" wake-up pills.

Who knows, maybe in a few years we'll each get an auto-injector IV in our initial issue.

Cardstonkid said:
Should be an interesting few years.

Like the current generation of X-box brats need any more incentive to not apply themselves.  Wait to see people get "decision chip" implants that will allow a processor to access the optic nerve impulses in order to make the best possible decision given pre-filled scenarios picked from situation recognition software. 
I can't (but should) believe how hard mankind is working to render itself useless.  :P

Cardstonkid said:
...... There are drugs right now that can keep you awake for days at a time with no side effects or diminished capabilities.

Yes there are.  I heard a friend say how he had used them for a long drive home to Cape Breton from out West.  He stayed awake, taking those pills and drove safely all the way home for a long weekend.  It was great, until.........He stopped taking the pills and slept through the whole long weekend.  He said he'd never do that again.  Was a complete waste of his time and money.

Yup!  You will be able to stay awake for days, but guess what......your body needs the rest and once you do go to ground, you may sleep through several days.  Talk about confused when you do wake up.

This has been discussed here in some detail:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23394/post-222064.html#msg222064

Re: Infantry of Tomorrow
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2005, 12:01:08 » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thinking about the future; perhaps the biggest change of all would be right at the individual rifleman level. Combinations of new drugs and common sense techniques are being developed to boost the power of the human brain, soldiers may have the potential to out think potential opponents before commiting a boot to the ground. http://www.newscientist.com/channel/being-human/mg18625011.900

Physical training can be seriously enhanced as well by examining the techniques of Olympic athletes, particularly the use of performance enhancing techniques like "blood doping" (recycling blood you donated earlier to increase the volume of red blood cells) and the use of human growth hormones to promote muscle growth and promote healing, among other things. I'm sure the troops won't mind daily training regimes similar to modern pentathalon to develop strength and agility either as opposed to the "Fall in in three ranks, left turn, begin jogging".

Since we are in an environment where we have more tasks yet fewer people, finding ways to make big jumps in human potential should be on our shopping list along with the Gucci electronic kit and section/platoon/company level reorganization.

The next step is the "Sleep pills" that will allow a person to sleep for 8 hours after having been awake for days and then when awake feel as if they had fully recovered from the long wake period. In the New Scientist article I believe it mentioned these drugs were in the clinical drug trial phase and are quickly approaching the application for approval stage.

If I remember correctly the trick of these drugs is that they do for our brain what sleep does. It keeps all the chemicals in balance. Like I said it should be an interesting next few years.

Yeah, funny thing that brain chemistry.  :-\
I'm no bio major, but I think I will content myself with cramming vitamins and chugging Timmies when I have to do some sleep deprivation tasks.  Once you start messing around with your brain soup, if something jumps the rails it seems pretty tricky to get it right again. 
Balance of brain chemistry seems to be the big issue with many mental health patients and it seems like many of them never get it right.  I would hate to see people messing with a perfectly good balance, then wrecking it when the body loses its ability to regulate itself. 

The Army could use this to ensure reenlistment. No more drugs if you quit!

Cardstonkid said:
The next step is the "Sleep pills" that will allow a person to sleep for 8 hours after having been awake for days and then when awake feel as if they had fully recovered from the long wake period. In the New Scientist article I believe it mentioned these drugs were in the clinical drug trial phase and are quickly approaching the application for approval stage.

If I remember correctly the trick of these drugs is that they do for our brain what sleep does. It keeps all the chemicals in balance. Like I said it should be an interesting next few years.

Only a few posts above yours I gave an example of a person who took drugs to stay awake to make a long trip.  When he stopped taking the drugs, his body shut down and he slept for two days.  That being the case, and backed up by ZC's post, there would be no requirement to now induce sleep with another drug.  The body and brain would automatically be doing that anyway.  ZC's post also points out other serious consequences of throwing the Brain and Body's natural 'scheduling' off.

I love it when people post and don't read what was already posted.....if you thought of it, don't you think others may have too?

I agree with what you have said, my point was the drug companies may be able to offer products that will let a person choose if and when they want to sleep. IF that is possible it will have far reaching implications for the military and for society. Personally I am leery of the long-term consequences of chemical tinkering with the human brain. I won't be volunteering for any test groups of the new drugs.

Cardstonkid said:
Personally I am leery of the long-term consequences of chemical tinkering with the human brain. I won't be volunteering for any test groups of the new drugs.

Hey, here's an idea. Why don't we volun-force first-time failers of drug testing into one of these test groups?  >:D

"Sorry, Pte. Bloggins, we've identified Cannabis in your urine. So you won't be going over with the TF. However, you're in luck...we'll be sending you someplace else..."

Back