• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paying Compliments (Saluting, Verbal Address)

Source: THE HONOURS, FLAGS AND HERITAGE STRUCTURE OF THE CANADIAN FORCES (A-AD-200-000/AG-000)

FORMAL ADDRESS
9. In formal address, either written or spoken, the correct form of address shall be as follows:
a. Officers shall be addressed
(1) by officers of higher or equal rank, by rank and surname, or by appointment;
(2) on parade, or when in keeping with authorized environmental or branch usage –
(a) by officers of higher rank or higher parade appointment, by rank and surname, or by appointment; and
(b) by officers of equal rank but lower parade appointment by Sir or Ma'am as applicable; and
(3) by all other officers and noncommissioned members, by rank and surname, or by Sir or Ma'am as applicable.

b. Chief Petty Officers 1st Class and Chief Warrant Officers shall be addressed by all ranks –
(1) by rank, by rank or surname, or by appointment; or
(2) for army and air force chief warrant officers –
(a) by officers and ranking peers, by Mr, Mrs, Miss or Ms as appropriate, followed by surname, and
(b) by lower ranks, by Sir or Ma'am as appropriate.

c. Other non-commissioned members shall be addressed – by all ranks, by rank, by rank and surname, or by appointment.

We are officers, we may not have our commission yet so I do not see a problem with being called sir/ma'am.

Expecting it is a whole different story.

Then again I found when on EWAT at ASU Chilliwack that no one knew what to address me and a higher ranking NCO was referring to me as the "2Lt" tell I told him I was just an OCdt.

QR&O, CHAPTER 3

RANK, SENIORITY, COMMAND AND PRECEDENCE

Section 1 – Rank and Seniority

3.01 – RANKS AND DESIGNATIONS OF RANK

(1) The ranks of officers and non-commissioned members shall be as set out in Column I of the Schedule to the National Defence Act, which provides:
I
OFFICERS

1. General
2. Lieutenant-General
3. Major-General
4. Brigadier-General
5. Colonel
6. Lieutenant-Colonel
7. Major
8. Captain
9. Lieutenant
10. Second Lieutenant
11. Officer Cadet

II
NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS
12. Chief Warrant Officer
13. Master Warrant Officer
14. Warrant Officer
15. Sergeant
16. Corporal
17. Private

(2) An officer or non-commissioned member who, on or after the date this article comes into force (18 September 1986), holds a rank in the Canadian Forces set out in paragraph (1) and who, in accordance with orders and instructions issued by the Chief of the Defence Staff wears a naval uniform, shall use and be referred to by the designation of rank set out in Column II of the Schedule to the National Defence Act having the same serial number as that of his rank in paragraph (1), and reference in this paragraph to the rank held by an officer or non-commissioned member includes any rank to which the member may be promoted, reduced or reverted from time to time.

(3) Except in accordance with paragraph (2), no officer or non-commissioned member shall, after the coming into force of this article, use or be referred to by a designation of rank other than as set out in Column I of the Schedule to the National Defence Act.

In others' defence, I was 'taught' that "Mr." was a proper form of address for OCdts.  I've found some evidence that this is an acceptable use of informal address, but the regs look as though "Mr." is properly reserved for CWO's; if this is the case, "Mr." is an earned appelation and should be very selectively used.

benny88 said:

I consider hearing things from Instructors and/or Superiours "being taught"

We'll move on, then. I have been instructed and witnessed an OCdt be addressed as "Mr." as have others in this thread, but it could be a geographic/element thing and is really not worth getting worked up over.

Cheers.

I've never read the regs on the matter, but I come from a unit/institution that has not only the largest number, but largest concentration of O/NCdts in all of the CF, by FAR. We have all been taught (both here and at the MEGA on IAP/BOTP) that the proper way that we are suppose to be addressed is Mr/Mrs Bloggins. Not only is that what we were taught, but it is what we experience. I have been addressed as Mr. Bloggins by my Squaddie, the DSM, our Division Warrants and the Commandant the one time I had the opportunity to speak with him one on one (former Commandant albeit).

If this is unacceptable incorrect, then we have several thousands RMC cadets and graduates, as well as a plethora of NCOs, Warrants and Officers, to correct on the matter.

If addressing us as Sir/Maam is appropriate and acceptable in certain situations, so be it. It has a nice ring to it. :P

The purpose I see in keeping this thread open is to try and determine the origin of this "incorrect" addressing of O/NCdts as Mr/Mrs.

We're done here, this is obviously one subject that some people have an inability to actually discuss without gravitating into bickering.  Do not ask for the thread to be reopened.  Do not be surprised if any posts not specific to the original question are removed.

Milnet.ca Staff

The form of address used is based as much on custom, tradition and proper etiquette as it is on regulation.  During my career (NCM and officer) I was instructed, taught, told, or simply absorbed that it is proper to call officer cadets “Sir” or affix “Mister” to their surname, as well as using their rank when addressing them.  But the requirement was situational and changed depending on a number of factors; the rank relationship to the cadet, the work or social milieu, the unit or corps, the stupidity level of the cadet.  Of course, the use of ‘honorifics’ much more horrific is also common when dealing with the (ahem) young ladies and gentlemen, particularly those who don't get the point when justifiably hit with an idiot stick. 

Yes, at that great congregation of officer cadets known as RMC, the common practice is to refer to cadets as “Mister ****” and the NCMs who interact with them on a day to day basis refrain from calling them “Sir”.   That is the situation of a training establishment where the local custom (and perhaps local regulation) permits such.  It will not always be so depending on the time and place.  Ill-advised attempts by some junior (and occasionally senior) members to publicly treat subordinate officers as whale **** when inappropriate to do so has sometimes resulted in consequences for such members.  However, let’s not forget more than one cadet has (justifiably?) incurred ridicule and wrath when succumbing to fantasies of self-importance.  While a humbling experience, it can be a useful part of an officer’s education.

The use (military or civilian) of the title "Mister" was historically applied to "gentlemen".  At one time the inmates at RMC (like their Sandhurst cousins) were referred to as "Gentlemen Cadets".

In The Moon's a Balloon, David Niven related some of his experiences at Sandhurst.
"...We were called "Gentlemen Cadets".  The officers and non-commissioned officer instructors were the pick of the whole British Army and the drill instructors were exclusively, the pick of the Brigade of Guards.  Knowing that you were due to become an officer in eighteen months' time, the N.C.O.'s could call you anything they liked provided they prefaced it with a 'Mr. So-and-So, Sir.'

.  .  . we smiled nervously at each other as we awaited the ministrations of 'Robbo' [Company Sergeant Major Robinson, Grenadier Guards].

Rapidly and with the minimum of trimmings, Robbo explained that although it looked unlikely at the moment, we were supposed to be officer material and it had fallen to his unfortunate lot to try, within eighteen months, to transform this ' 'orrible shower' into being worthy of the King's commission.

"I shall address you as "Sir" because that's the orders but when you speak to me you'll stand to attention, look me right in the eye and call me Staff...got it?"

Scattered murmurs of ‘yes’, ‘right-ho’ and ‘jolly good’ were silenced by one of the mightiest roars in the British Army.

‘GOT IT!!!??? Now let me hear the answer, Gentlemen . . . ONE, TWO, THREE’ . . . ‘GOT IT STAFF,’ we roared back.

However the use of  “Mister” is not reserved exclusively for Officer Cadets and Chief Warrant Officers.  The title was applied in lieu of rank to subalterns in the Army (and similarly in the Navy) because these officers were gentlemen.  In the case of RSMs (WO1/CWO) use of “Mister” probably evolved as a sign of respect for a ‘man’ who had reached such a high professional station that the ‘gentlemen’ (officers) of his regiment could speak to him on an almost equal footing.

And from a dusty old box of things I've retained over a career.  When I attended BOTC at CFOCS Chilliwack the Warrant Officer and NCO instructors did not call the candidates “Sir”.  Like most officer basic training establishments, they tended to segregate the OCdts (and 2Lts aka Thick Officer Cadets) from the serving soldiers.  That is an appropriate way of doing things and perhaps one of the reasons why there is no readily available and singularly quotable reference on the subject of what to call cadets.  There are no great herds of Gentlemen Cadets roaming at will in the CF, therefore there is little cause to think much of them.

CFOCS Officers' Handbook Edition 1 July 1985
Chapter 9 Forms of Address

1.  On parade, an officer always addresses other officers senior to him, whether by rank or appointment as “Sir”.  When a subaltern is addressed or referred to in an unofficial way, he is spoken to as "Mr. Smith" but in an official way he is referred to by his actual rank, i.e. "Lieutenant Smith”.  Female officers should always be paid the same compliments as male officers of equivalent rank.  The correct form of address for female officers is 'ma'am'.

2.  When on parade a subaltern will address a captain as "Sir".  At other times he may address him by his first name at the invitation of the captain being addressed .  In some units the use of christian names and nicknames is customary but this should be very carefully indulged in by new officers.  For equals in rank, be guided by the age of officers and length of acquaintance.  Field officers should be addressed as "Sir" by captains and subalterns but it should not be laboured on or used so frequently as to make the conversation sound ridiculous.

3.  Chief Warrant Officers, are addressed on parade by the title of their appointment, but off parade they are usually addressed as "Mr." and their surname.  Squadron/Company Sergeant Major is a position, and only Master Warrant Officers holding such positions should be addressed as "Sergeant Major".  They are also addressed as "Sir" by their juniors in rank.

4.  In answering an Officer or Warrant officer, other ranks always say sir.  Do not allow "Yes, Major", Yes, Lieutenant, or any other bizarre form to be used by your subordinates.

5.  When entering the anteroom before dinner say “Good Evening Sir” to the senior officer present. Also if your Commanding Officer or any General or Field Officer enters after you, stand up and say “Good Evening Sir.”   Do not click your heels at anytime nor stand to attention on entering the anteroom, or dining room.

6.  Today there is a closer bond of comradeship between officers and men than ever before.  A clearer understanding has grown up under modern democratic principles which in no way impairs discipline or the respect of the men for their officers.  Danger will arise only if officers fail to learn to be friendly with their men without loss of dignity or respect, always realizing that "undue familiarity breeds contempt".  Officers will not be on a first-name basis with any other rank.

"Speech is a mirror of the soul; as a man speaks, so is he."

And something that is (not surprisingly) similar.

"This is a re-print of the JUNIOR OFFICER’S GUIDE put out in 1959." . . .
http://army.ca/info/junior_officers_guide.php
Section IV

FORMS OF ADDRESS

(a) When entering the ante room before dinner say “Good Evening Sir” to the senior officer present. Also if your Commanding Officer or any General or Field Officer enters after you, stand up and say “Good Evening Sir.”

Do NOT click your heels at anytime nor stand to attention on entering the ante room or dinning room.

(b) On parade an officer should always address other officers senior to him, whether by rank or appointment as “Sir.”

(c) When a subaltern is addressed on parade or referred to in an unofficial way he is mentioned as “Mr. Smith,” but in an official way he is referred to by his actual rank, i.e. “Lieutenant Smith” or “2nd Lieutenant Smith.”

(d) Except on parade it is advisable to avoid addressing a Captain as “Captain Jones.” However if it is desirable for any reason to address an officer by his rank this form may be used. It is quite wrong to address a Captain as “Captain” without using his surname.

(e) Field Officers should be addressed as “Sir” by Captains and subalterns, but it should not be laboured, or used so frequently as to make the conversation sound ridiculous. It is not incorrect to address a Colonel or Major by his rank alone, but the possibility of appearing unduly familiar makes it advisable for junior officers to adopt this habit only after considerable length of service, and more than an ordinary acquaintance with the Senior. Obviously a subaltern is rarely in a position to do so.

(f) It is customary when meeting any officer of the Armed Forces in the street to bid him “Good Morning” whether you know him or not. It is for the junior to speak first. If he is of field rank he should also be saluted.

(g) Warrant Officers Class I are addressed on parade by the title of their appointment e.g. “Sergeant-Major Brown” but off parade they are usually addressed as “Mr.”

(h) Other Warrant Officers and Non-Commissioned Officers are always addressed by their rank.

(j) Private soldiers are always addressed by their surname only.

(k) Other Ranks address Officers by their rank and name except subalterns whom they address by using “Mr.” and their name. In answering an Officer or Warrant Officer, Other Ranks always say “Sir.” Do not allow “Yes, Major,” “Yes Lieutenant,” or any other bizarre form to be used by your subordinates.

But there are still corps differences.

http://regimentalrogue.com/srsub/army_customs_1956_sect5.htm
1. The R.S.M.
In some regiments, corps or units it is customary to address the R.S.M. as " Mr. ----," while in others he is addressed as "Sergeant-Major." An officer on joining his regiment or new unit should find out which custom is in use by asking the Adjutant or some other officer of the unit.
. . .
4. Address-by rank
When addressing a warrant officer, an officer should do so by using his military rank or appointment. That is to say a Company Sergeant-Major should be addressed as "Company Sergeant-Major." For procedure when addressing a Regimental Sergeant-Major see sub-para. 1

When addressing a non-commissioned officer, an officer should do so by using the N.C.O's rank and name. For example, a Corporal should be addressed as "Corporal Snooks."

CUSTOMS AND TRADITIONS OF THE CME A-JS-007-003/JD-001
http://www.admie.forces.gc.ca/dgcps/CME_customs_Split_internet/English/Chapter_5_Customs_Service.pdf
FORMS OF ADDRESS
8.  In all military organizations, there is a strict code on how members should address both superiors and subordinates. This formal code has been developed over many centuries and was once commonly utilized but, since society has become much more relaxed, it is rarely used today to the full extent once practised. The military has found that, especially in combat situations where people are living closely together and orders must be followed without hesitation, it is imperative that the hierarchical culture be maintained. For this reason, the CME and all military branches continue to use this form of courtesy that stems from an awareness of people and a respect for others rights and feelings. It is not one-sided and should be observed by all, and extended to all. The guidelines for addressing both superiors and subordinates are explained in the following paragraphs.

9.  All ranks shall address a more superior officer as “Sir” or “Ma’am” or by the appropriate rank; however, “Sir” and “Ma’am” should not be used so frequently as to make conversation awkward. Even during sporting events or relaxed social functions, proper forms of address are used unless permission is granted to use a superior’s first name. It should be remembered that these privileges are usually only granted for the duration of the event and that once a normal work routine is resumed the proper forms of address will again be used.  Superior officers normally address junior officers by their first names.

10.  Officers address all NCMs by their rank or, in the case of a Chief Warrant Officer, “Mister” as a preface to the surname. NCMs address other NCMs by rank, with the exception of Chief Warrant Officers. Chief Warrant Officers are not called “Chief” or “Warrant” but “Sir” by all subordinate NCMs. Only Chief Petty Officers may be addressed as “Chief,” with or without using the surname. Sergeant Major is an appointment and Master Warrant Officers and Chief Warrant Officers should be addressed as “Sergeant Major” only if they hold that appointment.

11.  Following retirement, particularly in social and sporting events within the CME associations, CME Family members are encouraged to address one another on a first name or more relaxed basis. The use of former ranks is reserved for formal occasions such as parades in direct association with serving members, where retired members continue to respect the protocols of serving members, for obvious reasons.

12.  Civilian spouses do not hold the rank of their military spouse. It is, however, polite to address the spouse of a superior as “Sir” or “Ma’am” until permission is granted to use given names.

How are warrants and PO's usually addressed? I found this on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrant_Officer#Forms_of_address
Is this accurate?

Also,
Master Warrant Officer – initially as "Master Warrant Officer Bloggins", thereafter as "Sir" or "Ma'am" by subordinates
As an Ocdt I have used both Sergeant Major and Sir but was never really sure which I should be using. I assume Sir would be the correct way for an Ocdt to address a CSM but Im not sure at what rank using Sir would no longer be appropriate.

Does the airforce have different appointments then the arm for warrants? Appointments for PO's? Are they referred to by their appointments?

Just to clarify, the appointment of CSM or RSM carries the title Sergeant Major. CSM/RSM, Sir/Ma'am or Sergeant Major is acceptable. Just because a member has the rank of MWO or Chief does not automatically make them a Sergeant Major. So, unless you know that person IS a CSM or RSM, safe bet would be Sir / Ma'am.

UNLESS - you are trying to piss of a SWO in a hangar somewhere - just a note: they don't like that very much!!

And for the lad that started this thread - they are addressed just as you did in your question - PO1 or PO2 are both addressed as "PO".

As an Ocdt I have used both Sergeant Major and Sir but was never really sure which I should be using. I assume Sir would be the correct way for an Ocdt to address a CSM but Im not sure at what rank using Sir would no longer be appropriate.

While it certainly does not reflect the differences in knowledge, ability and responsibility, it is not correct for an officer cadet to address any warrant officer, no matter how high or prestigious the apointment, as sir, especially in day to day situations. Simply, the officer cadet is higher in rank than the warrant officer, and the sir should come the other way. (There are many ways of saying 'sir' but that is another story.)

I am a military dinosaur and I may be wildly out of step with today's norms, but that is how it was practiced when the number of hairs on my head numbered more than my waist size. One Monday morning in Petawawa a million years ago I yes sirred the sergeant major on morning parade; ninety minutes later I suddenly was an officer cadet and he had no problem greeting me with "good morning, sir."

Before this thread goes any further, I would like to advise all that this thread WILL NOT be allowed to turn into one more anti-OCdt slamfest.  Discuss the proprieties of forms of address IAW published regulations and openly accepted practice.  Anyone's personal views on the roles and addressing of OCdts which do not conform to CF practices are unnecessary additions that may see your posts removed without further warning.

Milnet.ca Staff

It's not correct for any rank - OCdt or otherwise - to call a WO or below "Sir". It is, however, correct for anyone - no matter the rank, to address any ranks above WO (MWO, CWO, ALL officer ranks including OCdt) Sir... just don't salute a chief - they don't like that either...

That being said, years ago (don't know if it's still practiced today) I noticed reservists would call WO's "sir". Why was / is that?

I have a funny sorry about this...

When was was a newly minted Lieutenant (6 months after being an OCdt) I had the chance to meet the CF CWO for lunch at the Sr. NCO's mess in Ottawa.

When introduced, I nodded by head and said, "Thank you for the kind invite to your mess, Sir". 

Well... it did not go over so well... I got this look from him and then turned so our back were both away from the others in the group and made it clear that despite what I may have been told, felt, seen on TV, or otherwised imagined that he WILL be addressed at CWO Soandso or Mr. Soandso. 

Embarrassing to say the least, and honestly it was not a lack of knowledge that led me to call him Sir (as I knew better) but rather just the awestruck  nature of a young officer being the the Sr. NCO's mess and meeting the CF CWO.

Cheers,

MC

BinRat55 said:
It's not correct for any rank - OCdt or otherwise - to call a WO or below "Sir". It is, however, correct for anyone - no matter the rank, below the rank of MWO to address any ranks in the army or air force above WO (MWO, CWO, ALL officer ranks including OCdt) Sir... just don't salute a chief - they don't like that either...

That being said, years ago (don't know if it's still practiced today) I noticed reservists would call WO's "sir". Why was / is that?

Please note my corrections. I believe it is still incorrect to address navy CPOs as sir, but I'm happy to be corrected.

E.R. Campbell said:
Please note my corrections. I believe it is still incorrect to address navy CPOs as sir, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Oh you are correct: Naval CPOs should most certainly be addressed as "Chief."

I've got 5 extras from my youth that back that up.  ;D

I find that within the Cbt Arms, most will address a WO as Warrant, or maybe by his station SQ, CQ, for example. However, on many occasions I've heard purple trades address a WO as Sir.

BinRat55 said:
It's not correct for any rank - OCdt or otherwise - to call a WO or below "Sir". It is, however, correct for anyone - no matter the rank, to address any ranks above WO (MWO, CWO, ALL officer ranks including OCdt) Sir... just don't salute a chief - they don't like that either...

Despite the amendments of E.R.C., it is not correct for subordinates to address MWOs as "sir".  It may have been an informal practice in the past (I think it came from the Air Force), but is not correct according to A-AD-200-000/AG-000.

FORMAL ADDRESS

9. In formal address, either written or spoken, the correct form of address shall be as follows:

a. Officers shall be addressed -
   (1) by officers of higher or equal rank, by rank and surname, or by appointment;
   (2) on parade, or when in keeping with authorized environmental or branchusage
        (a) by officers of higher rank or higher parade appointment, by rank and surname, or by appointment; and
        (b) by officers of equal rank but lower parade appointment by Sir or Ma’am as applicable; and
   (3) by all other officers and noncommissioned members, by rank and surname, or by Sir or Ma’am as applicable.

b. Chief Petty Officers 1st Class and Chief Warrant Officers shall be addressed by all ranks -
   (1) by rank, by rank and surname, or by appointment; or
   (2) for army and air force chief warrant officers
        (a) by officers and ranking peers, by Mr, Mrs, Miss or Ms as appropriate, followed by surname, and
        (b) by lower ranks, by Sir or Ma’am as appropriate.

c. Other non-commissioned members shall be addressed – by all ranks, by rank, by rank and surname, or by appointment.

INFORMAL ADDRESS

10. Normally, short forms of address (see Annex A) are limited to informal speech and in the salutation of informal correspondence.

11. Nothing in this order prohibits the continued use of given names in a social setting within the bounds of normal etiquette and traditional military discipline.

A fine publication. 

And to think I am normally the fellow to pull out the publication of choice. 

Good to see that someone else did <smile>.

MC

Blackadder1916 said:
Despite the amendments of E.R.C., it is not correct for subordinates to address MWOs as "sir".  It may have been an informal practice in the past (I think it came from the Air Force), but is not correct according to A-AD-200-000/AG-000.

Sorry about that, but in the past, waaaaay in the past I hasten to add, it was more than just "informal practice." A WOII was a "sir," no ifs, ands or buts. It changed sometime, obviously - probably when I wasn't looking or no longer had to care very much. 

E.R. Campbell said:
Sorry about that, but in the past, waaaaay in the past I hasten to add, it was more than just "informal practice." A WOII was a "sir," no ifs, ands or buts. It changed sometime, obviously - probably when I wasn't looking or no longer had to care very much. 

Since my gluteus may not sag as much yet as yours, I will bow to your greater experience.  In fact, I should have reviewed a reference I used in another thread.

CFOCS Officers' Handbook Edition 1 July 1985

Chapter 9 Forms of Address

1.  On parade, an officer always addresses other officers senior to him, whether by rank or appointment as “Sir”.  When a subaltern is addressed or referred to in an unofficial way, he is spoken to as "Mr. Smith" but in an official way he is referred to by his actual rank, i.e. "Lieutenant Smith”.  Female officers should always be paid the same compliments as male officers of equivalent rank.  The correct form of address for female officers is 'ma'am'.

2.  When on parade a subaltern will address a captain as "Sir".  At other times he may address him by his first name at the invitation of the captain being addressed .  In some units the use of christian names and nicknames is customary but this should be very carefully indulged in by new officers.  For equals in rank, be guided by the age of officers and length of acquaintance.  Field officers should be addressed as "Sir" by captains and subalterns but it should not be laboured on or used so frequently as to make the conversation sound ridiculous.

3.  Chief Warrant Officers, are addressed on parade by the title of their appointment, but off parade they are usually addressed as "Mr." and their surname.  Squadron/Company Sergeant Major is a position, and only Master Warrant Officers holding such positions should be addressed as "Sergeant Major".  They are also addressed as "Sir" by their juniors in rank.

4.  In answering an Officer or Warrant officer, other ranks always say sir.  Do not allow "Yes, Major", Yes, Lieutenant, or any other bizarre form to be used by your subordinates.

5.  When entering the anteroom before dinner say “Good Evening Sir” to the senior officer present. Also if your Commanding Officer or any General or Field Officer enters after you, stand up and say “Good Evening Sir.”   Do not click your heels at anytime nor stand to attention on entering the anteroom, or dining room.

6.  Today there is a closer bond of comradeship between officers and men than ever before.  A clearer understanding has grown up under modern democratic principles which in no way impairs discipline or the respect of the men for their officers.  Danger will arise only if officers fail to learn to be friendly with their men without loss of dignity or respect, always realizing that "undue familiarity breeds contempt".  Officers will not be on a first-name basis with any other rank.

"Speech is a mirror of the soul; as a man speaks, so is he."

That chapter is unsurprisingly similiar (perhaps someone copied it) to Section IV of the JUNIOR OFFICER’S GUIDE put out in 1959.  That may be the explanation of the reference to Warrant Officers in para 4.  Back in 1959 they would have been WOI, WOII and Staff (Flight) Sergeant.

recceguy said:
I find that within the Cbt Arms, most will address a WO as Warrant, or maybe by his station SQ, CQ, for example. However, on many occasions I've heard purple trades address a WO as Sir.

In calling out the roll prior to Friday's ruck march --- I heard "Ma'am" as a response twice ... and cringed a little inside. After I had completed the call, I made the simple, yet clear statement "from now on ... Warrant will suffice." Followed by an "Understood?" ... Dammit it all to hell if I didn't get one little "Yes Ma'am" amongst the others' "Yes Warrant" response.  >:(

Back