• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Our North - SSE Policy Update Megathread

Why a Northern/Arctic focus should be a Canadian priority.

The second half of this interview discusses Chinese interference (Popular Front) with Canadian First Nations in efforts to secure resources.

Basic aphorisms -

Possession is 9/10 ths of the law.
You have what you hold.

Whitehorse would be a much closer airport to operate from, would need the infrastructure to do so though. Actually a very nice little city to be in. Would save 1300 km transit both ways.

Whitehorse would be a much closer airport to operate from, would need the infrastructure to do so though. Actually a very nice little city to be in. Would save 1300 km transit both ways.
Nice hanger sitting around in Inuvik owned by us not really do much right now.....

Can't speak for Inuvik, but Whitehorse is a nice place, with a good scene going, close to the ocean and international flights to Germany in the Summer.

Canada to acquire MQ-9B SkyGuardian Drones to monitor Arctic Ocean​

View attachment 87727

Uh, that site is a bit late with the “breaking” news. It was announced in Dec last year. And yes, the Arctic is one of the mission areas it would be operating in - but won’t be based there full time.

Also, the MQ-9B isn’t the Reaper (that’s the MQ-9A) but that’s just my pedantry speaking.

If I was young and starting out, it would be on my short list of places to live.
money, affordability and opportunity can lead the way but i think for many potential employers and employees its too hard to traverse the weeds to each other

There are lots of people who love city living, and aren't willing to living somewhere else.
Whitehorse is the Capital and has a lot of sport and culture activities ongoing throughout the year. One difference is that many of the businesses take a siesta in the early afternoon to allow workers to get sunlight in the winter.

Whitehorse is the Capital and has a lot of sport and culture activities ongoing throughout the year. One difference is that many of the businesses take a siesta in the early afternoon to allow workers to get sunlight in the winter.

If I was young and starting out, my immediate concern for "activities" would likely be much the same as it was more than fifty years ago. I did a quick google and on one site there were a number of comments about that important activity - dating.

“Get comfortable with being single while living in the Yukon. That, or lower your standards.”
“alcoholic, hairy and weird.”
“incestuous, tiresome, sometimes surprising;”
“lacking, sparse, confusing.”
“Dating is not easy anywhere. I think it’s easier for men in Whitehorse. I find there are a lot of desperate women here that will settle for anything.”

Charlottetown is also a city, but people from Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, etc., don't see it that way.

I'm not saying Whitehorse isn't a nice place, I'm simply pointing out that most young people want to live in big cities. Regardless of how nice Whitehorse is, it's not a big city.

Last edited:
If I was young and starting out, my immediate concern for "activities" would likely be much the same as it was more than fifty years ago. I did a quick google and on one site there were a number of comments about that important activity - dating.

“Get comfortable with being single while living in the Yukon. That, or lower your standards.”
“alcoholic, hairy and weird.”
“incestuous, tiresome, sometimes surprising;”
“lacking, sparse, confusing.”
“Dating is not easy anywhere. I think it’s easier for men in Whitehorse. I find there are a lot of desperate women here that will settle for anything.”
Sounds a lot like Cold Lake when I was there as a Pte... Likely still the experience for young people posted there.

In the words of the ancient army:

If the army wanted you to have a wife they would have issued you one.

Another reason for short term engagements. 1 year in camp. 2 years in the boonies. 5 years in the reserves.

The careerists can work their remote jobs in the cities.

In the words of the ancient army:

If the army wanted you to have a wife they would have issued you one.

Another reason for short term engagements. 1 year in camp. 2 years in the boonies. 5 years in the reserves.

The careerists can work their remote jobs in the cities.
Do you think there might be a reason most militaries have moved away from that model?

Works when there are foreign adventures to be had, and you need to churn out a lot of young men to die in a border skirmish in Asia or Africa. Doesn't work so well in peacetime, particularly when the skill needed to maintain and operate the equipment can't be effectively learned in a year.

Back