• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OPME

CDN Aviator said:
On-site serials run at various bases from time to time.

So they ARE required to complete certain OPME's or are they just another option to take the course?

Hurricane said:
So they ARE required to complete certain OPME's or are they just another option to take the course?

No.

All of them can be done by DL only.

I have completed the entire program without stepping into a classroom.

And DL is the NORM. Very few people get the opportunity to do their OPME's in a classroom. For example, each year the RMC program enrolls around 50 for and all but 2 or 3 of them last year were Officers.

A on-site serial just ran here with 3 Leading Seaman from my unit.

CDN Aviator said:
No.

All of them can be done by DL only.

I have completed the entire program without stepping into a classroom.

So you receive credit for the OPME, but not a University Credit?

Hurricane said:
So you receive credit for the OPME, but not a University Credit?

The first 2 count for PER points.....not university.

The other four count for a PER point each and some universities recognize them to varying levels. Using them to apply to UTPNCM for example, they count as a half credit each 9 as was told at my interview with the PSO).

jeffb said:
It is not self-study and last summer there were 2 profs from RMC, 1 from Queens and another who was otherwise unemployed if I remember correctly.

His name wasn't Bob was it?

jeffb said:
And DL is the NORM. Very few people get the opportunity to do their OPME's in a classroom. For example, each year the RMC program enrolls around 50 for and all but 2 or 3 of them last year were Officers.

In Halifax they run OPME's three times a year, with the four courses. Usually a good mix of officers and NCM's. It is now being highly encouraged to get on these courses.

CDN Aviator said:
The first 2 count for PER points.....not university.

The other four count for a PER point each and some universities recognize them to varying levels. Using them to apply to UTPNCM for example, they count as a half credit each 9 as was told at my interview with the PSO).

I know Durham College has a Military Arts and Sciences Diploma that accepts all 6 OPME's as college credit. UOIT also has accepted 2 of the OPME's as University credits for my degree.

Edit: Turns out I need to just look in the right places to find my answers.

Were there many/any OCdts on the summer course? As I understand it, RMC has the OPME's integrated into their curriculum so there may not be too many ROTP students involved.

There were a few. The course is run in conjunction with the Engineering Decompression program which is a program, as I understood it, for OCdt's who are a little behind in their studies and need to get the OPME courses out of the way in the summer so that they can focus on their engineering courses during the school year. Strictly speaking, no there were no OCdt's in the OPME RMC Program last summer.

Back