• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op Nanook 2011

GDawg said:
I did Nanook last year. I brought my PT gear and ran up and down the road by the airfield. Just ask and they'll tell you how far you can go. I would not recommend straying off the road at all, and I'd suggest trail running shoes. The wind might not cooperate with you either.

Finally....one sensible answer  :salute: Still stuck in Trenton unable to make a flight out. I do have trail shoes, so am good to go with my garmin gps and a nice warm hoodie

Survivors recover from surgery after polar bear kills Eton school boy Horatio Chapple in Norway

Four survivors of an Arctic polar bear attack that killed Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple are recovering after surgery, Norwegian hospital staff have said.

Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple, 17, an aspiring medical student, died after being mauled by a polar bear while on an expedition to the Arctic.

He was killed when the animal rampaged into the tent in which he and his friends were sleeping on a glacier in Svalbard, Norway. His friends, Patrick Flinders, 16, and Scott Smith, 17, were injured fighting off the bear, as were the expedition guides, Michael Reid, 29, and Andrew Ruck, 27.

More Here

Inuit Rangers flock to military clinic during drill
Article Link
High-quality health care is normally hard to find in Far North
By Jane George, Nunatsiaq News August 17, 2011

If you happen to be feeling sick, you'll be in good hands at Camp Nanook, where more than 400 members of the Canadian Forces and Canadian Rangers have lived since Aug. 4, when Operation Nanook started.

In fact, such high-quality health care is available at the camp that many Canadian Rangers from Nunavut are drawn to the white medical tent on site.

Canadian Rangers are more than twice as likely go there than the other members of the military at the camp: Although Canadian Rangers make up about 10 per cent of the people at the camp, they account for 25 per cent of those who attend the clinic.

More Nunavut Rangers come to the clinic likely because "they don't have such a high quality of medical care," suggests Maj. Stephane Roux, the chief physician and head of the clinic.

The Rangers, whose volunteer ranks are largely Inuit, aboriginal and Métis, are a sub-component of the Canadian Forces. Their primary task is to conduct surveillance and sovereignty patrols in the Far North.
More on link

Back