• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ol School.

mmm, I wonder what Back to Basics will think of his thread next time he log on ...  :P

Actif dernièrement:  Aujourd'hui à 14:57:00

Ah, the "good ol' days" .....

* Sam Browns
* puttees
* jacket and tie walking out dress for all ranks
* table service in the Officers' Mess
* the bar open from noon onwards in all messes
* Happy Hours treated like a mandatory event
* Warrants who would take a mouthy barrack room lawyer out behind the vehicle lines (with no repercussions for the Warrant)
* references for pers admin limited to CFAOs and QR&Os, no Army/Area/Base/etc rules, regs or extra forms
* regulations that actually let a CO fire a crappy soldier out of the Army
* weekly sports afternoon, for everyone
* "march the guilty ******* in"
* regular by the bunk inspections by the Sergeants Major
* and no more of all that human rights crap, right?

ahhh, it all brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye.

"Have the Pioneer Sergeant put up the triangles RSM, I feel a flogging coming on after I hear the charges this morning ...."

Michael O`Leary said:
Ah, the "good ol' days" .....

* the bar open from noon onwards in all messes

... and the honour bar that was accessible 24/7...

Michael O`Leary said:
* Warrants who would take a mouthy barrack room lawyer out behind the vehicle lines (with no repercussions for the Warrant)

I recall that one... now I'm sorted.  ;D

Ah yes the good old days,.....

Butter your own F**King toast!

(anyone remember that one?)

Yup many a morning spent spitting on,... errr I mean buttering the toast at the senior messes, ah yes,...

The Glory,....

The Honor!

Michael O`Leary said:
* Happy Hours treated like a mandatory event

You really should drop by the First Battalion, on any Friday.  The Officers must say good night to the CO as well...

* regulations that actually let a CO fire a crappy soldier out of the Army

I have seen a few soldiers and one officer fired recently

* weekly sports afternoon, for everyone

We are still pretty good at this - at least in theory.

Remember Pack Drill................. Kapyong Barracks............. Had 2 privates opt for 4 days of pack drill instead of
being formally charged for conduct unbecoming etc....

I was the Duty Officer and as a brand new 2 Lt had 5 days extra duty (fell asleep during a mess dinner) and was required by the Adjt to stand out on that cold paarde square and supervise(?) the duty Sgt with -35 and a 40 kph wind out of the north.............

Sometimes the good ole days are good for a chuckle and a fond memory....... but the kit and equipment is much better today...............

prairefire said:
I was the Duty Officer and as a brand new 2 Lt had 5 days extra duty (fell asleep during a mess dinner)

Must have been really tired, or the most boring mess dinner ever!!  ;)

prairefire said:
I was the Duty Officer and as a brand new 2 Lt had 5 days extra duty (fell asleep during a mess dinner) and was required by the Adjt to stand out on that cold paarde square and supervise(?) the duty Sgt with -35 and a 40 kph wind out of the north.............

Pre-Germany, or post?

...single troops had to get written permission to move out of quarters, de-link rations, or get married.
...dress of the day or jacket and tie in the kitchen during meals

Jammer said:
...single troops had to get written permission to move out of quarters,

They still do, at least in 2 PPCLI they have to get their Pl 2ic and Pl Comd approval.

dangerboy said:
They still do, at least in 2 PPCLI they have to get their Pl 2ic and Pl Comd approval.

Much the same as here in 1 PPCLI, requiring signatures of Pl Comds/2i/cs, CSM and OCs

Must have been really tired, or the most boring mess dinner ever!!  ..........

I had been up all night after a party at the Palomino Club and then prior to the dinner had a couple, or was that several warm up drinks before the dinner?

This was pre-Germany.......

NL_engineer said:
would you also propose we switch equipment also  ::)

And don't bring in the worked for them so it will work for us, statement  ::) because if you go back, and ask these people I bet they b****ed as much about there kit as we do.

just my 2 cents

Troopies bitching about issued kit? Who'd have thunk it.  >:D

Back