• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officers not clean shaven

• Thread starter Thread starter MattD
  • Start date Start date
M

MattD

I was watching the rememberence of Smokey Smith and well I seen alot of officers I would suppose high ranking Officers that where not clean shaven. My understanding was that you always had to be clean shaven, so seeing this it has thrown a wrench so to speak into what i have always thought, so could someone explain why some officers are not clean shaven, or can anyone not be clean shaven what are the rules.

Thanks for the help in advance.

MattD

Even after I shave... I look like hell an hour or two after.

My face hates me and doesn't want to grow until JUST AFTER I have to shave in the morning.

Who knows why you saw so many.  All i can say is...  its probably chance and nothing
to get too worked over about.  You're making a pretty broad statement about CF officers
in general over one incident which might simply have been a 5 o'clock shadow.

MAYBE, some of those officers worked overnight on duty before going to the funeral
for Smokey Smith... so they would have been pulling late hours to pay their respects.
In that case, kudos to those officers.

The rules, incidently, shave every day/morning unless you have a chit (army)
Navy.. someone else can talk about beards.. .not my arcs of fire. 

MattD said:
I was watching the rememberence of Smokey Smith and well I seen alot of officers I would suppose high ranking Officers that where not clean shaven. My understanding was that you always had to be clean shaven, so seeing this it has thrown a wrench so to speak into what i have always thought, so could someone explain why some officers are not clean shaven, or can anyone not be clean shaven what are the rules.

MattD

Matt:

I do not have access to CBC Newschannel (or any other television channel for that matter) - so I cannot comment on what you may have seen.

However - I think that Trinity has giving some reasonable explanations (of course - that's his JOB, God bless him).

Not having seen what you describe, I can't offer my own perspective.

Having said that, I'll offer my own perspective:

Being of Jewish heritage (I'll explain my surname another time), I'm aware that Jews do not shave during the mourning period - is that a possible explanation??  I understand other religions may have similar restrictions - is it possible you saw a group of a certain religious bent?

Other than religious reasons, or perhaps for those reasons Trinity has brought forward, I cannot imagine a Canadian Forces Officer on parade unshaven.

As I said - I didn't see it, and I'm not doubting the veracity of your statements, I'm just wondering if there is an alternate explanation.

I also watched the funeral service in it's entirety. I would suggest MattD saw a group of about 10 or 12 "elderly" Honorary Lt Cols / Colonels of 39 Bde units, many of them bearded, sitting in the sanctuary. 

On another note - what's up with the Vancouver Police Dept Sr NCO wearing a Kuwait Liberation medal along with his stand of Canadian medals?

On another note - what's up with the Vancouver Police Dept Sr NCO wearing a Kuwait Liberation medal along with his stand of Canadian medals?

Is your concern the location (ie to the right of the other medals) or the fact he was wearing it at all?

I do believe the Kuwait liberation medal is an unauthorized medal for wear since CF members were issued the Gulf war medal.

Canadian Orders, Decorations and Medals - Precedence

http://gg.ca/honours/ordprec_e.asp

7. The insignia of orders, decorations and medals not listed in this Directive, as well as foreign awards, the award of which has not been approved by the Government of Canada, shall not be mounted or worn in conjunction with orders, decorations and medals listed in this Directive.

The Kuwait Liberation Medal is not on the list, that's why mine sits in the bottom of an old barracks box and is not mounted with the rest of my medals.

Perhaps the VPD member is just unaware of regulations...

Question
I served in the Gulf and Kuwait War. May I wear my Saudi Arabian medal as well as my Canadian Gulf and Kuwait Medal?

Answer
Canada's national honours policy prohibits the wear of more than one medal for the same service. The only medal authorized for wear by Canadian Forces members involved in the Gulf War is the Canadian Gulf and Kuwait Medal. The Saudi Arabian Kuwait Liberation Medal may be accepted, but not worn (SEE "I received a foreign award. May I wear it on my uniform?").

Source:

http://www.dnd.ca/hr/dhh/engraph/faqs_e.asp?category=honawa&FaqID=26#answer

Picture of the Kuwait Liberation Medal:

http://www.worldhistory.com/wiki/K/Kuwait-Liberation-Medal.htm

MattD said:
I was watching the rememberence of Smokey Smith and well I seen alot of officers I would suppose high ranking Officers that where not clean shaven. ...........

MattD

You probably saw many members of the NAVY - and there were many there.

not really there was about 20 or so off the Ottowa  and a few  other mixed and matched for around the CF. there was way more green then navy blue

axeman said:
not really there was about 20 or so off the Ottowa   and a few   other mixed and matched for around the CF. there was way more green then navy blue

I was referring to the service in Ottawa - not sure he said Vancouver at the start

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
I do believe the Kuwait liberation medal is an unauthorized medal for wear since CF members were issued the Gulf war medal.

I always thought the same, but I recently saw a Canadian General officer wearing the medal, and his bio page on the internet shows him wearing the ribbon ... hmmmm ...

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dsa/app_bio/engraph/FSeniorOfficerBiographyView_e.asp?SectChoice=1&mAction=View&mBiographyID=111

EW said:
I always thought the same, but I recently saw a Canadian General officer wearing the medal, and his bio page on the internet shows him wearing the ribbon ... hmmmm ...

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dsa/app_bio/engraph/FSeniorOfficerBiographyView_e.asp?SectChoice=1&mAction=View&mBiographyID=111

There are many possible explanations.  It is entirely possible that the officer in question had been on an exchange tour with the US, British, or other allied forces during the action in question.  I'm not saying this particular officer was - just that it's one of many scenarios which would entitle him to this particular medal.

Britney Spears said:
What about prior service IN the US/UK armed forces?

Roy Harding said:
... - just that it's one of many scenarios which would entitle him to this particular medal.

Another excellent explanation - and there are many. 

It is always a foolish thing to "assume" things, or don't we teach the old "when you assume, you make an ass out of u and me" anymore?

I wear my Northern Ireland and UN Cyprus medals that I received when I was in the British Army, However I have to wear the NI medal after ALL other decorations that I have.

The Cyprus medal is however worn in the normal postion as it is recognised as a regular medal, lastly if I had a British Long Service and Good Conduct(LS&GC)  medal I would not be allowed to wear the CD that I have,  as quite correctly stated you cannot wear two medals for the same thing. :salute:

I did not mean disrespect to any officers, and sorry to say these where not no 5 o'clock shadows as i orginally thought that myself, the religion idea seems to be the best bet, but i did some research on this and i found some other officers (generals) that are not shaven so i guess Generals can opt out of it if they want. If no one believes me just look at the bio's on the Armies web page.

there are med conditions you can have that  allow you not to shave, but has to be a neat trimmed beard, one of my office co -workers hada  skin condition and last time I sw him  now a captain he has the same beard ...
i think the officers you saw were the Honorary COL and LCol of the Regiment at the right of the altar.  they do not wear the uniform often and they get away  with a few things  as in service soldiers and officers would not get away.

Sailor dress regs i do not know, but they can wear beards at sea.
so many reasons for the beards but it was nice to see the great turnout for the parade, jsut wsh cbc had shown more of it

Back